Page 1 of 1

Longhair ~ Greetings from West Michigan

Posted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:05 pm
by Beechtree
Hello All,

I see by the guidelines for the forum that everyone is supposed to introduce themselves.
So here goes.
While at MSU in the late 70's I acquired my first Tervuren from one of my fellow Vet. Tech classmates. There have been several Terv's, a Terv litter, a Groenendael, and a handful of other companion dogs thrown in over the years. But lately our canine friends have all been of the BWD (big white dog) variety (Maremma & Pyrs) that we use as LGD's for our sheep flocks. With the children now all grown up and out of the house, I felt it was time for a companion dog once again.
So, last fall I attended a local cluster show to see what was out there, and I discovered that I wasn't impressed with the direction the Tervs have gone in. After some online breed searching, I remembered looking at a litter of Rough Haired DS back in the 80's in the East Lansing, MI area. Which started me doing internet searches for Dutch Shepherds. After some contact with Christie about different rescue options, I decided that I wanted to start with a puppy, and a purebred. I also found out that I had a strong preference for the Longhaired type, as they so much resemble the Tervurens I was accustom to.
As it turned out there just happen to be a litter of LH's that had just been whelped last December down in North Carolina that had one female in the litter. After several emails and phone calls later the breeder decided that I could get the female if I wished. The plan was for each of us to drive half-way to meet and transfer the puppy, but if you recall last Jan/ Feb the south keep getting hit with weekly ice storms. So, on a spur of the moment decision, I booked an overnight round trip flight for the next day and flew down between winter storm fronts and brought the nippy little fur ball home. :-)
'Raven' has mellowed quite a bit since those early puppy days, and as I type this, she is laying 'upside down' beside me (it must be a DS thing?) as she waits patiently for me to head out and do the morning farm chores.

That is how my LH-DS entered my life!

for anyone interested in seeing pixs of Raven (Rae) over the last 11 months, they can visit my farm and the dog blogs.

Kindest Regards,

Re: Longhair ~ Greetings from West Michigan

Posted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:10 pm
by FG167
Welcome! I have your blog on my Google Reader :-) Raven is a beauty. I'm curious about the temperament differences between the long-hair and short.

Re: Longhair ~ Greetings from West Michigan

Posted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:17 pm
by leih merigian
Welcome, Brenda!

Raven is just gorgeous. I can see why the longhair version appeals to you, given your dog history.

Be sure to check out the puppies photo contest...you probably have a nice pic you could enter :D .

Re: Longhair ~ Greetings from West Michigan

Posted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:20 pm
by icvanstra
Welcome to the forum!

Re: Longhair ~ Greetings from West Michigan

Posted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:03 pm
by Beechtree
FG167 wrote:Welcome! I have your blog on my Google Reader :-) Raven is a beauty. I'm curious about the temperament differences between the long-hair and short.
Thank you! I've no personal experience with the SH-DS, but from all the reading and reasearch done online and by talking to folks that own them, I would have to say that the SH folks prefer a dog that is a bit less bite inhibited, and more energetic? Everyone always said I needed a BC because of the sheep, but frankly I want a dog with an 'off button'. In the DS breed history and description, the DS was a farm, family, herder, companion, and that was the temperament goal I was searching for.
When she first arrived, we did have to do a lot of distracting her when she was nipping, and redirect her to more appropriate tasks. But she's settled in nicely to being my sidekick and loves to meet new people.
When it comes to working, Rae has no qualms about lending me a helping hand with a balking and cantankerous 250 -300 lb sheep that is on the other end of my halter, but she is fine with ones that come along quietly. She has a thing with any creature misbehaving, and feels it is her duty to correct them. :-)
'Rae' being still quite young (11 mos.) is very energetic when outside with me, or while playing with her 'sister' the Border Terrier puppy, but already she is trust worthy to be left in the house alone while I run errands for hours at a time. She loves the evening hours when she can have a rawhide chewy while I watch TV, and when its gone, she flops over for a good snooze. I'm sure she would be happy to be kept more 'busy' but at this stage of my life, I'd like to slow it down a wee bit. So far Raven is turning out to be just what I had hoped for.

Re: Longhair ~ Greetings from West Michigan

Posted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:41 pm
by icvanstra
Beechtree wrote: already she is trust worthy to be left in the house alone while I run errands for hours at a time.
Cino is over three and I'm still nervous about leaving him out. He is beyond the destruction phase, but I always know that things are going to be moved around the house when I get home. For long periods of time ... still crating.
Beechtree wrote: She loves the evening hours when she can have a rawhide chewy while I watch TV, and when its gone, she flops over for a good snooze. I'm sure she would be happy to be kept more 'busy' but at this stage of my life, I'd like to slow it down a wee bit. So far Raven is turning out to be just what I had hoped for.
The first year I thought I was nuts for getting a DS puppy! Now, as long as he gets his exercise, he is super content to lay at my feet when I'm in my office and to crash out in the evenings. ...but I stress the "get enough exercise part" though... :ds:

Re: Longhair ~ Greetings from West Michigan

Posted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:28 pm
by turnnburn52984
She's adorable!!! (I already saw all the pics on your blogs) :D

I missed out on the crazy nippy puppy stage with my current DS (got him at 1 yr from a rescue I worked at). I can't imagine the crazy dog he must have been at 8 weeks-9 months... I'm actually looking forward to the time when I'm ready for my next brindled bundle of joy. Trying to convince the hubby his next SAR dog MUST be a dutch. :)

Re: Longhair ~ Greetings from West Michigan

Posted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:35 am
by Aztechalo
Welcome to the board! I was looking at getting a Maremma before I committed to a DS. We need an LGD but we live in a canyon and I heard that Maremmas bark all night long. I don't want the neighbors from farther down the canyon going nuts because of the barking. I still think they are lovely dogs.

I'm glad to hear your DS is working out so well. She's beautiful and sounds like a real sweetheart. Probably a good choice to get a long hair for Michigan, brrrr.

Re: Longhair ~ Greetings from West Michigan

Posted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:33 am
by FG167
Beechtree wrote:When she first arrived, we did have to do a lot of distracting her when she was nipping, and redirect her to more appropriate tasks. But she's settled in nicely to being my sidekick and loves to meet new people. 'Rae' being still quite young (11 mos.) is very energetic when outside with me, or while playing with her 'sister' the Border Terrier puppy, but already she is trust worthy to be left in the house alone while I run errands for hours at a time. She loves the evening hours when she can have a rawhide chewy while I watch TV, and when its gone, she flops over for a good snooze. I'm sure she would be happy to be kept more 'busy' but at this stage of my life, I'd like to slow it down a wee bit. So far Raven is turning out to be just what I had hoped for.
Our dogs sound extremely similar, although Madix is 18 months now. He was a biting terror as a puppy but easily redirected to appropriate toys. I just moved into an apartment in August and decided to let both my dogs be uncrated and see how they did. I separate - Midas is in the whole apartment and Madix is in my bedroom only but he's done wonderfully - I am so proud and pleased.

I find the long-hair strikingly beautiful. Sounds like temperament-wise we have very similar pups. They are a pleasure! :) I am extremely interested in trying Madix out on herding as well, I think we would have fun with it.

Re: Longhair ~ Greetings from West Michigan

Posted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:02 pm
by cake73
Welcome! Can't wait to see some photos!