Hello All,
This is our first time ever using a forum like this. We are new dog owners living in beautiful San Diego. We rescued our little bundle of joy from California Labs, Retrievers, and More. Maverick is 5 months old. The rescue told us he is an Aussie mix but he doesn't look anything like one. We thought possible GSD but we ran into a DS picture that looks exactly like him. I don't think he is 100% DS but he sure looks like one. We would love for some help identifying his possibility of being a DS. If he is a DS would would like some advice on how to correctly train/care for him. He is 34.6 lbs at 5 months old.
Seeing him in person is the best way to see is unique brindle coat. His coat is not photogenic. We thought GSD but once we saw a picture of a DS it is very similar to Maverick.
New Member
-
mavdog
- Just Whelped
- Posts: 15
- Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:26 am
- Tell us about yourself: We rescued our dog Maverick (5 months old) from a local lab and retriever rescue. He has the most unique brindle coloring and looks like a GSD or DS mix. We live in San Diego and love being outdoors with our new little buddy. They told us he is Aussie mix but he really doesn't look like one. We are looking for information and a place to learn about our possible DS.
New Member
Megan, Tommy, and Maverick
- LyonsFamily
- Training Dog
- Posts: 947
- Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:08 am
- Tell us about yourself: Odin 5 years
Elli 5 years - Location: Michigan
- Contact:
Re: New Member
Welcome to the forum! The pictures are too small to see perfectly, but he does look like a DS from here. If you could get some close ups, especially of the head and one from his side we could probably help more with that.
Regardless of the breed I hope you stick around! There are a lot of trainers and experienced dog owners on this forum and we can help training issues and ideas.
Regardless of the breed I hope you stick around! There are a lot of trainers and experienced dog owners on this forum and we can help training issues and ideas.
Stephanie
'Odin' NV PTA Odin of Another Kingdom RL1
'Elli' Drawing Our Own Constellations RL1 CGC CGCA
'Odin' NV PTA Odin of Another Kingdom RL1
'Elli' Drawing Our Own Constellations RL1 CGC CGCA
-
mavdog
- Just Whelped
- Posts: 15
- Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:26 am
- Tell us about yourself: We rescued our dog Maverick (5 months old) from a local lab and retriever rescue. He has the most unique brindle coloring and looks like a GSD or DS mix. We live in San Diego and love being outdoors with our new little buddy. They told us he is Aussie mix but he really doesn't look like one. We are looking for information and a place to learn about our possible DS.
Re: New Member
I would love to add more pictures. What is the best way to upload? I am tech challenged.
Megan, Tommy, and Maverick
-
Sugars Mom
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1734
- Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:16 am
- Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.
Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!
I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences. - Location: Victoria BC
Re: New Member
Welcome to the fourm. My story is pretty much the same as yours....and I feel very lucky to have unknownly found a Dutch. You will be amazed at how smart he is, I'm sure. Looking forward to hearing many stories and seeing many more pics 

Sue (and Sugar)

-
mavdog
- Just Whelped
- Posts: 15
- Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:26 am
- Tell us about yourself: We rescued our dog Maverick (5 months old) from a local lab and retriever rescue. He has the most unique brindle coloring and looks like a GSD or DS mix. We live in San Diego and love being outdoors with our new little buddy. They told us he is Aussie mix but he really doesn't look like one. We are looking for information and a place to learn about our possible DS.
Re: New Member
Thank you. Haha we were so confused as what he could have been. The brindle didn't look like a boxer, pitbull, mastiff, or greyhound. We have been searching google for "brindle dogs" and every other variation possible. I finally ran into a DS picture and my heart stopped. Maverick is extremely intelligent and is easily trained. He is trying to herd dogs at the dog park and loves to track small animals or other dogs that previously came by our apartment. Best dog. Where did you find Sugar? How old is she?
Megan, Tommy, and Maverick
-
Sugars Mom
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1734
- Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:16 am
- Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.
Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!
I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences. - Location: Victoria BC
Re: New Member
I know exactly what you mean!
We got Sugar from the SPCA when a mixed litter of pups came in. 9 weeks old. There was a brindle (Sugar) and a border collie coloured pup with short hair, then another border collie looking one with long hair; 2 that looked like german shepherds (they were fluffy) and 3 that looked like labradoodle/terriers that had long curly hair w/some wire hair mixed in (later I saw a pic of Mom and they looked like her).
We were looking for a short haired dog and I did not want a border collie as I knew they were a lot of work. (Ha! Look what we ended up with, lol) So we picked the brindle. I knew she was a mix, but could not figure out WHAT she was mixed with! Nothing quite matched. A friend found a pic of a DS online and said, 'Look, its Sugar!" and it all clicked. So, we ended up with a "miniature" DS mix. Best dog ever, I agree!! She is soooo smart! I feel very lucky to have found her.
We got Sugar from the SPCA when a mixed litter of pups came in. 9 weeks old. There was a brindle (Sugar) and a border collie coloured pup with short hair, then another border collie looking one with long hair; 2 that looked like german shepherds (they were fluffy) and 3 that looked like labradoodle/terriers that had long curly hair w/some wire hair mixed in (later I saw a pic of Mom and they looked like her).
We were looking for a short haired dog and I did not want a border collie as I knew they were a lot of work. (Ha! Look what we ended up with, lol) So we picked the brindle. I knew she was a mix, but could not figure out WHAT she was mixed with! Nothing quite matched. A friend found a pic of a DS online and said, 'Look, its Sugar!" and it all clicked. So, we ended up with a "miniature" DS mix. Best dog ever, I agree!! She is soooo smart! I feel very lucky to have found her.
Sue (and Sugar)

-
mavdog
- Just Whelped
- Posts: 15
- Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:26 am
- Tell us about yourself: We rescued our dog Maverick (5 months old) from a local lab and retriever rescue. He has the most unique brindle coloring and looks like a GSD or DS mix. We live in San Diego and love being outdoors with our new little buddy. They told us he is Aussie mix but he really doesn't look like one. We are looking for information and a place to learn about our possible DS.
Re: New Member
Megan, Tommy, and Maverick
- feraloup
- Training Dog
- Posts: 352
- Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:45 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Artist, Mother, Equestrienne, Educator, Homesteader wannabe, dog-lover. Not counting my current DS, I have had 2 GSDs and 3 rescued mixed-breeds. All of these dogs were rescues, except for my childhood GSD, who was a gift from my parents when I was 7, and my current DS who I bartered artwork for from the breeder. Maiyou, one of my current dogs, is a Pitbull/New Guinea Singing Dog of 13 years old. Still very active and "Young" in nature. I now also have a DS named Mokume, (pronounced "Moh-koo-meh") or "Moko" for short. Newest member of our pack is Freyja, a random mixed hound I rescued during a horseback trip in the middle of a state forest.
- Location: VT
Re: New Member
He is wicked cute! I'll leave assessments to the more experienced DS folks here, but I'd say it's likely! Regardless, welcome to the forum and hope you stick around. 
Autumn Dufresne
"If you talk to the animals they will talk with you and you will know each other. If you do not talk to them you will not know them, and what you do not know, you will fear. What one fears, one destroys." ~Chief Dan George
"If you talk to the animals they will talk with you and you will know each other. If you do not talk to them you will not know them, and what you do not know, you will fear. What one fears, one destroys." ~Chief Dan George
- vneerland
- Global Moderator

- Posts: 1547
- Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:10 pm
- Tell us about yourself: *
- Location: Tex@s
Re: New Member
Welcome Megan from San Diego. Thank you for rescueing. 
Judith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds 
- alspyce
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1222
- Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:51 pm
- Tell us about yourself: I am in New York State. Got my first DS about 14 years ago (more or less as a rescue- lost her in Nov.). After years of GSD's, and a few dogs of other breeds (Rotti/Beauceron/Ger. Shorthaired Pointer/ Yorkie and my current Jack Russell) I now have another DS, 4mo female, no name yet, tho I have a few in mind.
Also have a horse-old quarter horse mare-32.
Can't wait for all the snow to get gone! Spring is coming too slow this year! - Location: Corinth, New York
Re: New Member
welcome!
"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France
Chris Carlton/Lyric
Chris Carlton/Lyric
- Marjolein
- Working Dog
- Posts: 2078
- Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:17 pm
- Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)
- Location: Warbeyen, Germany
- Contact:


Facebook page.