Dutch Shepherd Mix?

For our new members to introduce themselves
Momof3Pups
Just Whelped
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:37 pm
Tell us about yourself: I own 3 dogs
Tsavo an 11 month old Rhodesian Ridgeback
Bubba a 6 month old Mastiff Mix
Forrest a 3 month old Dutch Shepherd Mix

Dutch Shepherd Mix?

Post by Momof3Pups »

I recently adopted a rescue and they listed him as a mastiff shepherd mix, the more I have researched breeds, and the more he has grown my husband and I are wondering if he could be dutch shepherd mix. He is 13 weeks old and 29 lbs, and sometimes his ears stand straight up, sometimes they flop to the side, or in the middle :D Here are a few pics of Forrest:

Image

Image

Image
User avatar
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 5692
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:05 pm
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2
Location: Ct, USA

Re: Dutch Shepherd Mix?

Post by Dutchringgirl »

awwwwwww what a super cutie !!!!!! I dont know about Mastiff, they are HUGE and he looks pretty normal sized.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Sugars Mom
Working Dog
Posts: 1734
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:16 am
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.

Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!

I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences.
Location: Victoria BC

Re: Dutch Shepherd Mix?

Post by Sugars Mom »

Awww, he IS a cutie! He looks like he has huge paws...but I am in no position to guess on breed...could be DS mix :question:
Sue (and Sugar)

Image
Momof3Pups
Just Whelped
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:37 pm
Tell us about yourself: I own 3 dogs
Tsavo an 11 month old Rhodesian Ridgeback
Bubba a 6 month old Mastiff Mix
Forrest a 3 month old Dutch Shepherd Mix

Re: Dutch Shepherd Mix?

Post by Momof3Pups »

Thanks :) He does have some big paws, he seems like he has a few things in him, just trying to narrow down what they might be. He has some from 16-29 lbs in 3 weeks, so he is growing like crazy!! He definitely could be over 100 lbs as an adult. My 90 lb 11 month old Ridgeback was only 21 lbs at 14 weeks when we got him, so this guy is bigger than he was.
User avatar
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 5692
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:05 pm
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2
Location: Ct, USA

Re: Dutch Shepherd Mix?

Post by Dutchringgirl »

wow, It will be fun to watch him grow up and see how he developes. maybe then we can tell. I love the little white on his nose too.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
User avatar
LyonsFamily
Training Dog
Posts: 947
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:08 am
Tell us about yourself: Odin 5 years
Elli 5 years
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: Dutch Shepherd Mix?

Post by LyonsFamily »

29lbs at 13 weeks would have me learning more towards mastiff than DS. You never know what could be mixed in though, but he does look like a cutie.
Stephanie
'Odin' NV PTA Odin of Another Kingdom RL1
'Elli' Drawing Our Own Constellations RL1 CGC CGCA
Amboaman
Just Whelped
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:51 am
Tell us about yourself: I have just adopted a beautiful boy that I think is a short haired Dutch Shepard. Looking to have some good conversations about making my new family member as happy as possible

Re: Dutch Shepherd Mix?

Post by Amboaman »

I just adopted too and I think mine is a Dutch. Does he love to snuggle? Mine is such a lover, already recognizing me as the pack leader after a week. I hope you are as lucky as I am
Momof3Pups
Just Whelped
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:37 pm
Tell us about yourself: I own 3 dogs
Tsavo an 11 month old Rhodesian Ridgeback
Bubba a 6 month old Mastiff Mix
Forrest a 3 month old Dutch Shepherd Mix

Re: Dutch Shepherd Mix?

Post by Momof3Pups »

He is definitely a lover, but he can get into it with my other two dogs and he does not back down! Of course he will come run and hide behind me :)
I had honestly never even heard of a DS, but I googled pics of brindle shepherd mix and came up with this breed so thought I would look into them and he looked quite a bit like a lot of the puppies I saw in pics. Of course it could just be a coincidence that whatever he's mixed with made him look like this breed.
Here is my pack, pic is 2 weeks old, but the current ages are Tsavo 11 months, Bubba 6 months (rescue Cane Corso) and Forrest (3 months):

Image
Amboaman
Just Whelped
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:51 am
Tell us about yourself: I have just adopted a beautiful boy that I think is a short haired Dutch Shepard. Looking to have some good conversations about making my new family member as happy as possible

Re: Dutch Shepherd Mix?

Post by Amboaman »

That is a beautiful family!!! I am jealous that you got them all to do such a good picture. My pup is four months now and is the same way with other dogs. He used to live with an adult pit bull and would get into it with that dog and now I can't walk him without him trying to pick a fight with some of the neighborhood dogs.

We have a training school in the area that is run by former police trainers and since the DS is used as a police dog as well I figured that is a good place to go and get him socialized with other dogs. If I pick up any tips our tricks I will let you know.

I figured mine was a DS the same way as you did and this was my first time hearing about it too. But from everything I am hearing he sounds like the perfect dog for my family.

Here is a pic of my little guy.
Attachments
photo.JPG
photo.JPG (467.14 KiB) Viewed 13907 times
Amboaman
Just Whelped
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:51 am
Tell us about yourself: I have just adopted a beautiful boy that I think is a short haired Dutch Shepard. Looking to have some good conversations about making my new family member as happy as possible

Re: Dutch Shepherd Mix?

Post by Amboaman »

Also congrats on handling that many pups at the same time. You are a trooper!!
Momof3Pups
Just Whelped
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:37 pm
Tell us about yourself: I own 3 dogs
Tsavo an 11 month old Rhodesian Ridgeback
Bubba a 6 month old Mastiff Mix
Forrest a 3 month old Dutch Shepherd Mix

Re: Dutch Shepherd Mix?

Post by Momof3Pups »

Thanks, it is definitely a bit nutty in this house at times, since I also have 3 kids, but we manage to make it work :)

Your dog is adorable, he looks very similar to forrest except he has a longer snout which seems in line with the DS. I love the white on his chest.
I would love to hear your experience and any tips you get as they are so close in age. How big is your pup? It's so hard to tell in pics
Amboaman
Just Whelped
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:51 am
Tell us about yourself: I have just adopted a beautiful boy that I think is a short haired Dutch Shepard. Looking to have some good conversations about making my new family member as happy as possible

Re: Dutch Shepherd Mix?

Post by Amboaman »

We have our puppy and a baby and are still working getting less crazy. I think he is about 30-40 lbs but haven't gotten an official number. We were at the vet today to get him fixed, but since the rescue was paying it seemed like the vet wanted us in and out as soon as possible and didn't talk much.

Yeah, I think we can definitely share experiences with them being so close in age. I am looking forward to trying to figure him out. One thing that I do have on my side though is there is a local obedience school that was founded by police trainers, and I have heard the DS is pretty extensively used as a police dog. Hopefully he takes to it, I will let you know my thoughts once we get there
User avatar
alspyce
Working Dog
Posts: 1222
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:51 pm
Tell us about yourself: I am in New York State. Got my first DS about 14 years ago (more or less as a rescue- lost her in Nov.). After years of GSD's, and a few dogs of other breeds (Rotti/Beauceron/Ger. Shorthaired Pointer/ Yorkie and my current Jack Russell) I now have another DS, 4mo female, no name yet, tho I have a few in mind.
Also have a horse-old quarter horse mare-32.
Can't wait for all the snow to get gone! Spring is coming too slow this year!
Location: Corinth, New York

Re: Dutch Shepherd Mix?

Post by alspyce »

Bubba and Forrest look very much alike in this photo, except for size, and ages almost right to have been pups from the same bitch, if ages are approximate. Do you know if they both came from the same area?

Anyone else think they look alike?
"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France
Chris Carlton/Lyric
Lumbeediva
Just Whelped
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:52 pm
Tell us about yourself: We are living in Coastal North Carolina. We have a Native American Indian Dog and we just recently adopted a companion for him which we think may be a Dutch Shepherd Cross.

Re: Dutch Shepherd Mix?

Post by Lumbeediva »

Hi there! Just wanted to share that we adopted a pup that looks very similar to yours! She was born around oct 2nd. She weighs right at 40lbs and she is about 19-20" at her shoulders. She is a dark brindle just like yours with the same face and ears and also has huge paws!! She gains .5 pound per day!! She was in a NC shelter!!
User avatar
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 5692
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:05 pm
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2
Location: Ct, USA

Re: Dutch Shepherd Mix?

Post by Dutchringgirl »

alspyce wrote:Bubba and Forrest look very much alike in this photo, except for size, and ages almost right to have been pups from the same bitch, if ages are approximate. Do you know if they both came from the same area?

Anyone else think they look alike?
Yeah, they look alot alike !
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Momof3Pups
Just Whelped
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:37 pm
Tell us about yourself: I own 3 dogs
Tsavo an 11 month old Rhodesian Ridgeback
Bubba a 6 month old Mastiff Mix
Forrest a 3 month old Dutch Shepherd Mix

Re: Dutch Shepherd Mix?

Post by Momof3Pups »

Forrest came from a kill shelter in Kansas I believe (he was transported up to the Chicago area by a rescue) and Bubba was rescued from a flea market in central IL. A woman from a different rescue was there and she got the feeling they were selling him as a fight dog and scooped him up so he wouldn't have that kind of life. They are definitely different ages as Bubba has all his adult teeth and Forrest still hasn't lost any puppy teeth. But people all the time ask if they are brothers :)

Lumbeediva, his DOB is approximated at Oct 18th, and I am not 100% certain where he originally came from. That is a crazy coincidence that they look alike and are about the same size, you'll have to share a pic of your pup!

Erica
Momof3Pups
Just Whelped
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:37 pm
Tell us about yourself: I own 3 dogs
Tsavo an 11 month old Rhodesian Ridgeback
Bubba a 6 month old Mastiff Mix
Forrest a 3 month old Dutch Shepherd Mix

Re: Dutch Shepherd Mix?

Post by Momof3Pups »

One ear up :)

Image
leih merigian
Working Dog
Posts: 1960
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:20 pm
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Re: Dutch Shepherd Mix?

Post by leih merigian »

Welcome, mom of three pups...

Forest is a doll, whatever he is!

Please don't take this wrong, but what posessed you to take on three puppies with three children at home? Do you LOVE to train or something? :mrgreen:
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
Momof3Pups
Just Whelped
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:37 pm
Tell us about yourself: I own 3 dogs
Tsavo an 11 month old Rhodesian Ridgeback
Bubba a 6 month old Mastiff Mix
Forrest a 3 month old Dutch Shepherd Mix

Re: Dutch Shepherd Mix?

Post by Momof3Pups »

We had one dog, and decided we wanted to rescue another. Applied to different rescues and took our dog to meet the other pups. Forrest was approved first, then we got the call on Bubba and just couldn't say no :). The 3rd is so laid back and sweet and very "unpuppylike", he just has such a chill personality and is so happy to he loved!!
My kids are 11, 9 and 7 and help with letting dogs out, cleaning up the yard, etc. I am lucky to live in a good sized home 4000 sq feet, plus a basement so we just felt we had the love, patience and financial means to rescue a 3rd, it must be meant to be that they both came through.

Erica
leih merigian
Working Dog
Posts: 1960
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:20 pm
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Re: Dutch Shepherd Mix?

Post by leih merigian »

It's good that your kids are old enough (and apprarently responsible enough :mrgreen: ) to help out.

Three lucky pups there...
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
Post Reply