Page 1 of 1

Hello! new here (got pics!)

Posted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:13 am
by LutznAndi
Hello! I'm really excited to join this forum! I'm completely new here, haven't even lurked around yet before joining lol. Not to many people are familiar with the breed around where I live, so it will be great to get more familiar with the ins and outs of the breed in a forum like this.

This is my dog Andi:

8 weeks old:
Image
5 months old:
Image
Image
about 18 months old:
Image

He is a mix, anyone want to guess what the other half is? I know his parents so I can 'reveal' the answer if anyone cares to know.

Re: Hello! new here (got pics!)

Posted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:14 pm
by anniewang83
Gorgeous boy!!!

How about a hint before guessing: What's his height and weight at 18 months?

Re: Hello! new here (got pics!)

Posted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:20 pm
by LutznAndi
I haven't measured him yet and I'm bad at estimating height, but at 18 months he weighed 70lbs.

This picture is another hint:

Image

I really need to get better photos of him lol

Re: Hello! new here (got pics!)

Posted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:53 pm
by anniewang83
I'm terrible at this game, but here goes nothing: I'm guessing Rhodesian Ridgeback?

Re: Hello! new here (got pics!)

Posted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:16 pm
by Boogies
Belgian x DS?

Re: Hello! new here (got pics!)

Posted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:59 pm
by KellaA+dog6
Reminds me of one of my Mom's dog a while back. (except for color) It was "Doberman Shepherd" .
Color GSD, upright ears, coat halfway between the two in length , Doberman shaped face , legs, with slightly heavier body. When she let her ears relax straight out to the side, she looked ready for take-off..

Re: Hello! new here (got pics!)

Posted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:45 am
by leih merigian
Welcome, Samantha and pup!

Well, for being so new, you sure do have our number, as you included great pics right off the bat!

I'm gonna go with DS/Dobie.

Glad you found us!

Re: Hello! new here (got pics!)

Posted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:00 am
by johninny
I want to play, too.
my guess based on visuals is DS/greyhound.

[ but I suspect your last hint - with the dog ''pointing'' at you - that you were hinting some sort of pointer. nevertheless, I say greyhound - which would be a really super combo ]

Re: Hello! new here (got pics!)

Posted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:51 am
by LyonsFamily
I'm going to say DS/sighthound, but I don't know which one to pick.

Re: Hello! new here (got pics!)

Posted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:51 am
by TexasMedy
Wow what an entrance :mrgreen: Pics and a game and never even stalked the site :o Very impressive. He is a very good looking boy. I will go with the Doberman guess also. Welcome!

Re: Hello! new here (got pics!)

Posted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:52 am
by leih merigian
Greyhound was my second choice...so eager to hear the answer :mrgreen:

Re: Hello! new here (got pics!)

Posted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:29 am
by johninny
me, too. can't stand it anymore. and I was thinking exactly all of what Dan said, ''wow what an entrance....'' how much fun.

Re: Hello! new here (got pics!)

Posted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:16 am
by LutznAndi
Thanks for the welcome everyone, and this is the first time anyone has guessed his mix! He is Dutch Shepherd/Dobermann.

These are his parents:
Image
Image

At the time I had casually starting looking for a young GSD and I was pointed to this litter. I didn't really ask the breeders to many questions when I came to pick him up, I was a bit shy then. I don't know if the litter was an accident or why the dogs were crossed if not. Both these dogs were UKC registered and titled, as well as with PSA titles. The breeder did a bite demonstration with the Dobermann for me.

I am actually hoping to get in contact with the breeders again when I get involved with a kennel club that is near where I live (next state over though). Members there apparently know these two dogs. ETA* I was just thinking, it would be cool if they turned out to be members here lol

Re: Hello! new here (got pics!)

Posted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:34 am
by johninny
beautiful parents, especially, of course, the DS !

Re: Hello! new here (got pics!)

Posted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:15 pm
by Dutchringgirl
WOW. I wouldnt have guessed he was a mix until you put up the hint shot. He is very beautiful. I can see where he got his looks from. I do love dobies too !!!! I do hope thought the breeding was by accident :whistle:

Re: Hello! new here (got pics!)

Posted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:28 am
by LutznAndi
Yeah he looks particularly Dobie in that one shot, reminds me of a show stack. In person he just looks to me basically like a DS with a smoother coat (no undercoat). As he has matured, the Dobie gets less and less prominent, though he often carries his tail with a curl like an un-docked Dobie and has big Dobie feet with tight, arched toes.

Andi cost me $50 and the two pups that had already been homed at the time had just went to PSA homes. Nothing about the 'breeders' themselves or what they said either gave the impression they did it on purpose or that they didn't, so IDK.

Re: Hello! new here (got pics!)

Posted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:28 am
by LutznAndi
Yeah he looks particularly Dobie in that one shot, reminds me of a show stack. In person he just looks to me basically like a DS with a smoother coat (no undercoat). As he has matured, the Dobie gets less and less prominent, though he often carries his tail with a curl like an un-docked Dobie and has big Dobie feet with tight, arched toes.

Andi cost me $50 and the two pups that had already been homed at the time had just went to PSA homes. Nothing about the 'breeders' themselves or what they said either gave the impression they did it on purpose or that they didn't, so IDK.

Re: Hello! new here (got pics!)

Posted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:52 am
by LyonsFamily
Just curious, what prompted you to take a look at a Dobe/DS cross anyway? Was it just the shepherd part that intrigued you? I'd be so afraid of getting my pants ripped off the second the litter spotted me.