Page 1 of 1

I think I belong here...

Posted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:45 am
by Stacy_R
I am the proud owner of what I think to be a Dutch Shepherd mix. I was hoping that by being on this forum I could make a more certain determination, with your help and by also posting a couple of pictures.
Tyson is an 8 month-old boy and is, BY FAR, the smartest, most active dog I have ever had the pleasure of sharing my life with! I have big plans for this boy! Of all the research I have done, he seems to be a good fit with the DS breed.
Please let me know what you think about the following pictures and ask me any pertinent questions that may help me (you) determine if we belong here!

Thank you!
image.jpg
image.jpg (456.92 KiB) Viewed 2374 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (192.41 KiB) Viewed 2374 times

Re: I think I belong here...

Posted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:11 am
by Karin
What a strikingly good looking guy. I'm going to let others respond to the specifics on determining if and how much DS. I am still waiting for my first who is just 3 weeks old. I hope others respond to you as I"m curious about the white on his feet and muzzle.
Enjoy Tyson!

Re: I think I belong here...

Posted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:08 am
by johninny
WOW!!! what an absolutely gorgeous and attentive dog.

vis-a-vis a DS, I know some would be a bit perturbed by all the white on the chest and neck, but to me that is a very good sign. the white around the nose [ and corresponding lack of any black mask ] does suggest a mix, but the rest of the look, the demeanor, and your very high praise of him all say DS.
I would take Tyson over any dog in an instant. no matter how special you think he is now, I bet in a year you will not believe how much you UNDER-estimated him.

my own Tracedog [ RIP ] was identical in look except that he had a black mask up to his eyes [ no white on nose, but identically ample white bib ]. TD's and Tyson's mouths are the same and seem to me a bit different from full-breed. SO I WANT TO ADD MY OWN 2 QUESTIONS TO STACY's for those on the forum who have REAL expertise, especially in breeding: is a dog of Tyson's look possible as an outlying full-breed fluke? and, of even greater interest to me, assuming the likely answer that he has to be a mix, is what is a best guess as to the rest of the mix? [ for sake of argument, let's assume what I believe to be the case that he has in spades ALL the positive behavioral, physical, and intellectual qualities we know and love in DSs.]

so Stacy, you have an amazing DS there and I can tell it will not matter at all to you that he is a mix. I hope you will forgive me for piggy-backing my own questions on yours. and please stay here and share pictures and stories of Tyson growing up.

and finally, I ask for DingaRoo's understanding to allow me to share my affection for her with Tyson.

Re: I think I belong here...

Posted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:09 pm
by Dutchringgirl
:DSlove:

Of course you belong here, you have a dog !!! I post once in a while about my parents Basset and no one has kicked me off yet. :doh:

I am in love ! (shhhh dont tell Thalie and Sadie)

What a striking fella !

I would say mix but yes to the DS. Too much white, but that is what is giving him his glorious looks !

Re: I think I belong here...

Posted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:03 pm
by Stacy_R
Thank you so much for the warm welcome! And I think he is gorgeous, but I am a bit biased LOL, so thanks for the confirmation! :)
Johninny - I don't mind the piggy-backing at all. I am here to learn more about this wonderful breed...so piggy-back away!
And Lisa...your secret is safe with me! ;)

As far as what he is mixed with...well I've pretty much heard it all: Basenji, Blue Heeler (Australian Cattle Dog), Australian Shepherd, Whippet...the list goes on. Some make sense, some don't. I have considered doing a DNA test to limit options as far as the mix, but I know too many people who have done them and have had completely ridiculous results. I know a DNA test more than likely will NOT show DS because (from what I have read) they don't test for the DS gene marker.

I volunteer with a local dog rescue and pulled him from a shelter (his sister, who was adopted before I got there, was light brown all over with a black muzzle), so the chances of him being pure DS are slim. Needless to say...he stole our hearts with his personality and cuteness and is the best foster failure EVER! ;)

As soon as we decided to keep him, we started training. I have had 2 GSD's and Tyson has a MUCH stronger drive to work and learn than they did. I know he is young, but we are starting on Rally and my ultimate goal is for him to do therapy work (he loves people).

Thank you again for the warm welcome. I think I'm going to like it here!

Re: I think I belong here...

Posted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:11 pm
by LyonsFamily
Since you said his sister was light with a black mask, did she look like a malinois, because that could make your guy closer to a DS since they're closely related. I do have to agree he's mixed with something unique. Do you have any standing profile pics? I'm interested in what he looks like from the side while standing.

Re: I think I belong here...

Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:38 pm
by Stacy_R
Stefanie...I don't think I have any standing profile pics, but will work on that! :wtg:
I found a picture of his sister from her shelter intake. I thought she had more black on her muzzle, but apparently my memory is a bit fuzzy. Here she is.
image.jpg
image.jpg (150.45 KiB) Viewed 2327 times

Re: I think I belong here...

Posted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:57 pm
by Stacy_R
LyonsFamily wrote:I do have to agree he's mixed with something unique. Do you have any standing profile pics? I'm interested in what he looks like from the side while standing.
Stefanie -
these aren't the best pictures, and one is another head-shot, but I hope they help!
1-photo.1.1.jpg
1-photo.1.1.jpg (202.28 KiB) Viewed 2288 times
1-photo.2.1.jpg
1-photo.2.1.jpg (196.01 KiB) Viewed 2288 times
1-photo.3.1.jpg
1-photo.3.1.jpg (202.5 KiB) Viewed 2288 times
1-photo.4.1.jpg
1-photo.4.1.jpg (131.25 KiB) Viewed 2288 times
1-photo.5.1.jpg
1-photo.5.1.jpg (135.08 KiB) Viewed 2288 times

Re: I think I belong here...

Posted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:49 am
by Revhendo
Um, I think I've seen this dog before.

Image

Just kidding, but what a doppelganger. You have a good looking lad there. Then again, I could be biased.

Oh, and John, I'm pretty sure Roo believes there is enough love to go around. :D

Re: I think I belong here...

Posted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:21 pm
by Stacy_R
HA! OMGosh....Tyson's long lost twin!!! LOL
Thank you, Roo, for sharing the love. :D