Page 1 of 1
Howdy from North Georgia
Posted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:33 am
by Gabby451
We adopted what we believe is a 10 month old (or so) Dutch Shepard male (intact for now) from the Clayton County gulag. I originally went there for a GSD that had previously been adopted out that morning. He (Sneaky Pete) won my heart. Good thing too, his time was up the next morning. Took two rounds of medication to help him kick the kennel cough he was incubating when we got him. De wormed and usual inoculations. He is gaining weight and his coat quality is improving (short hair).
Socialization (apparently very lacking) is proceeding. As he comes out of his shell, a very intelligent, head strong, drivey dog is emerging. His sister, a 5 year old 110# AmBulldog (canine Good Citizen ticket) puts up with him on the other side of a baby gate, but quickly shows who is the lead dog in a measured way when the young'un tackles her. We are keeping him behind a gate and crated at night (two hour serenades before he gives up--very creative vocalizing). I figure he ended up with animal control because he bolted and ran off (do not leave a door cracked open) or he was just too much for someone to handle. He will obey a couple of basic commands (sit, down) if it suits him, and he is quite motivated by food, and quite possessive. Will behave on a leash until another dog appears. Much work remains with this one. Will try to use his teeth when he is restrained from pursuing another dog that is out for a stroll. As I said, much to be done.
Tis website is a treasure trove. Thanks for everyone's contributions. Will report the result of upcoming training classes.
Gary
Re: Howdy from North Georgia
Posted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:06 am
by Schlussdibusti
Hello Gary:
Welcome and thanks for getting Sneaky Pete (love the name) out of the gulag.
Humor is one of the must haves of a Dutch Shepherd owner. And a well stocked liquor cabinet
Pics are always welcomed around here........

Re: Howdy from North Georgia
Posted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:15 am
by LyonsFamily
We do love pictures! Welcome to your forum. There are plenty of knowledgeable people around here and many very experienced in the breed as well as with head strong and reactive dogs. My Odin was very dog reactive, mainly on leash, when we got him and it's been almost a year and a half and he's come a long way.
If you skim through old posts in the general and behavior sections, there is a lot of useful info and feel free to ask tons of questions.
Re: Howdy from North Georgia
Posted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:42 am
by johninny
Reading between the lines, he sounds fascinating and adorable. I love creative serenades. hope to see pics!
thanks for saving SneakyPete ! Welcome.
Re: Howdy from North Georgia
Posted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:21 pm
by centrop67
Welcome.
Yours is a familiar story. I did the same exact thing last October - went to the shelter for a GSD and came home with clingy, mouthy, leash-reactive, stubborn, and vocal DS. Not to mention the shelter-born illnesses and then some.
It's nine months later, and I couldn't be more happy that Radar is in my family.
You have found here the perfect resource for DS ownership.
I think you have a leg-up on some of us with your mature dog already in the house, but patience is going to be key.
Can't wait to see pictures.
Re: Howdy from North Georgia
Posted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:37 pm
by HeatherH
Lucky Sneaky Pete, hopefully he wouldn't live up to his name.
Re: Howdy from North Georgia
Posted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:33 am
by LyonsFamily
centrop67 wrote:Welcome.
Yours is a familiar story. I did the same exact thing last October - went to the shelter for a GSD and came home with clingy, mouthy, leash-reactive, stubborn, and vocal DS. Not to mention the shelter-born illnesses and then some.
I guess you can count me in that club too. We had decided on getting a Tervuren, but I went to a foster home to look at a malinois and came home with a DS. Odin also had Giardia when we got him.
Re: Howdy from North Georgia
Posted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:37 pm
by Gabby451
Will post pics if I can figure out how....
Behavioral progress is being made. Went straight to bed in his crate last night, no serenade, either! Woke up at 0615 though. Maybe the most observant dog I have ever had. Playing fetch. Love to watch him pounce. His nocturnal strolls are hard on the driveway toad frogs out prospecting for bugs, though...one pounce and they are done.....
Re: Howdy from North Georgia
Posted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:22 pm
by johninny
the poor frogs! now add Dutch Shepherds to their woes?!
Re: Howdy from North Georgia
Posted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:28 am
by Gabby451
Unrepentant counter surfer strikes again.....2 tender pork chops and roasted red potatoes and carrots ....he is quite stealthy. Shame on us for leaving the goodies in reach. Much preferred to primo kibble.....
Re: Howdy from North Georgia
Posted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:29 pm
by centrop67
Gabby451 wrote: Shame on us for leaving the goodies in reach.
I think you will find that "out of reach" is near impossible for the agility and intelligence of a DS.
With my former dogs, I could simply place the special limited toys in a basket on top of the refrigerator only to be taken out when I could supervise play.
Well, Radar decided that he would push a case of water bottles up next to a counter adjacent to the fridge and then use it as a step up to the fun toys.
Now they're stored in a sealed storage bin.
Re: Howdy from North Georgia
Posted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:52 pm
by anniewang83
Welcome Gary and Sneaky Pete! We can't wait for photos and more updates!!! This is a great forum and I think you'll learn a lot and contribute a lot here.
Reading through the responses, I can't help but summarize owning a DS as swinging between feeling immense pride and joy, and intense frustration. But there's nothing like the bond between DS owner and DS dog... it's quite unique, and somewhat mysterious to owners of non-working breeds.
Your driveway toads are no exceptional story. Johninny's dog used to monitor the beach for illicit crab sex and pounce on the poor coupling crabs.
