Page 1 of 1

Hi! I'm Trisha from Ventura Co. California

Posted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:38 am
by Trisha
Hello Everyone!
Just wanted to introduce myself :D My name is Trisha. I am looking for my first DS pup, so any help with US breeders would be greatly appreciated. I live on my property in Costa Rica right now, when finished with construction soon, I will be going back to my main home in California. I was introduced to DS's here in Costa Rica, there is a breeder/trainer here in my town. It is easy to get a pup here, but I am a little hesitant, as they are bred for military/police/drug and bomb sniffing/serious property and personal protection. He has bred the strongest dogs, with extra drive, pain tolerance and toughness, not too sure I need that type of breeding, nor do I want that kind of training. I feel that their natural guard dog sense, is enough for me in California. If I were to live full time in CR, I would have 2 fully trained attack dogs. I love working dogs, especially intelligent dogs that you can hold their attention, and enjoy training. I have been training horses most of my life, and every dog I have ever had. I take my dog everywhere with me, so I want a dog that can be trained to be very obedient, plus show off his/her tricks. I probably like playing fetch as much as a dog, on the throwing end of course, plus love a super athlete who excels in agility, my last dog, a Black Lab, was a super athlete, besides being incredibly obedient and loving, he was a great body surfer too ;)
Looking forward to the boards!
Cheers! Trisha

Re: Hi! I'm Trisha from Ventura Co. California

Posted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:01 am
by Schlussdibusti
Welcome :wave: I "transitioned" from black Labs to DS as well. They seem to prepare us well for an energetic dog like a DS.

Re: Hi! I'm Trisha from Ventura Co. California

Posted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:52 pm
by Karin
Trisha.. in case you would consider this girl in Fresno

http://www.animalcompassionteam.com/ani ... ID=5697141

Re: Hi! I'm Trisha from Ventura Co. California

Posted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:40 pm
by johninny
along those same lines, 1 1/2 months ago, I got a DS pup 3 month old from paris tx as a stray. he is my 5th and best [ other than my first! ]. he could not be better in every way. his ''twin'' showed up in paris 2 weeks ago. he was quickly taken out of the pound and is judged by his jail-breaker to be just like my TeXan [ see pic elsewhere ]. obviously not sure if they are litter-mates or not, but very similar and I would guess - given the circumstances - coming from the same anonymous breeder. I took the risk with TeXan because he seemed out-of-the-ordinary - and that he is. all the confidence, sociability, physical prowess, daring, intelligence in spades, and eagerness to please that one could ever want in a DS. if this new one is indeed like TeXan, he would be quite the find! of course, if you are looking for documentation of parentage and all that, he would not do, but ....

I do not have pics of the new paris pup to post here, but if you wish to email me, if interested, I could email a photo or 2 that I have gotten from paris. meanwhile, to give a hint, these are pics of my paris pup - TexXan - taken on may 18, 1 day after arriving home, when he was 11 or 12 [?] weeks old, so now about 17 weeks.

I should note that neither TeXan nor the new texas pup ever made it onto the internet. the new pup is in a happy temp home and is getting rave reviews as did TxXan. so, if anyone else in interested...

Re: Hi! I'm Trisha from Ventura Co. California

Posted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:14 pm
by johninny
I should have noted for size comparison that the other 2 DS in the pics are also pups, albeit older pups - so still growing! and that TeXan was 20 1/2 # in the photos, tho he can look more substantial due to his regal attitude.

Re: Hi! I'm Trisha from Ventura Co. California

Posted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:25 pm
by Trisha
Thank you, Johninny and Karin. They look like great dogs, but I think I am going to go for a purebred for my first DS. I really want to bring home my new family member at 10 weeks, its been along time since I have had a very young pup, and I have always found them to be my best dogs. Could possibly be the nightmare I had with the 3 last dogs I adopted... You never know though, just the right dog could come along???

Re: Hi! I'm Trisha from Ventura Co. California

Posted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:08 am
by Dark Side
Hi and welcome !
Unfortunately, I c'ant help you with a breeder in the US, but I wish you a lot of happiness with your DS puppy ! ;)

Re: Hi! I'm Trisha from Ventura Co. California

Posted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:27 pm
by Karin
Trisha,
FYI I am getting my puppy (IN 3 WEEKS!!!!) from Les Flores in Washington State. While I love the idea of rescue, I too wanted to do a puppy for my first DS. I just call him out as a reputable breeder in the western US. His kennel name is De Las Flores Kennel.

Re: Hi! I'm Trisha from Ventura Co. California

Posted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:47 pm
by Schlussdibusti
johninny wrote: I should note that neither TeXan nor the new texas pup ever made it onto the internet.
@John
Do you have 3 DS now? (Sakima, Xander, TxXan) Just curious, since I saw 3 DS in the "puddle" pic.

Re: Hi! I'm Trisha from Ventura Co. California

Posted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:11 pm
by Trisha
Karin wrote:Trisha,
FYI I am getting my puppy (IN 3 WEEKS!!!!) from Les Flores in Washington State. While I love the idea of rescue, I too wanted to do a puppy for my first DS. I just call him out as a reputable breeder in the western US. His kennel name is De Las Flores Kennel.

Thanks Karin! I will look them up. Wishing much joy with your new family member!

Re: Hi! I'm Trisha from Ventura Co. California

Posted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:17 pm
by Trisha
Karin wrote:Trisha,
FYI I am getting my puppy (IN 3 WEEKS!!!!) from Les Flores in Washington State. While I love the idea of rescue, I too wanted to do a puppy for my first DS. I just call him out as a reputable breeder in the western US. His kennel name is De Las Flores Kennel.
I am looking at their website... Looks like they might be a good breeder for me??? Looks like they do mainly working dogs, not attack/protection breeding. Can you tell me about your experience with them? I was talking with a another breeder, but thankfully was told about the experience someone had with them, so I am passing on getting a dog from them.

Re: Hi! I'm Trisha from Ventura Co. California

Posted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:32 pm
by TexasMedy
Hi Trisha,

Welcome to the forum. i am new to the breed and have limited knowledge compared to a lot of the people on this site. I don't post a lot, been kind of busy but i thought I would chime in now since I have some experience with Les Flores line of DS. If Les Flores actually has puppies available I would think this would be a great option. If i were looking for a pup i would be talking to him. My 15 month old Dutch Shepherd comes from the same lines as Les Flores DS which is Le Dobry (my girl has same mother (Boya)as his current litter). I have been very pleased with everyxthing about my DS. She has high drive and loves to work but is also very pleasant, intellignet and well mannered member of our family. I think this probably describes most DS so it is not like i have a wrap on these qualities! I know Les is very close to Le Dobry kennels and is active with the breed (understatement). There are some shady breeders in the USA but he is not one of them. There are also several other very reputable breeders on this site if Les does not have a puppy.

Re: Hi! I'm Trisha from Ventura Co. California

Posted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:46 am
by johninny
Eva, I have 2 DS - Sakima whom I got last Nov 16th on my Midwest odyssey in which I also got Xander. I had thought the demands of my life could fit only one dog, but I loved them both so much and they each other, I toyed with keeping both, but then did find a very good home in VA for Xander. Sakima and I both then sunk into depression. I remained beside myself for months - and Saki is one of those dogs that simply is not happy without another dog around which is quite unlike other dogs I have had [ foster dog Cain was that way though ].
finally, I decided I had no choice but to get a second dog to make Saki not sad and to perhaps allow me to forget betraying Xander's faith in his new family. [ it has helped but... ; I think by now I would be in very bad condition if TexXander had not arrived.
a friend in ABMCR spotted this 10-week old DS puppy in Paris, TX, while he still had a stray hold on him. a humane society member had spotted him in the county pound and alerted the group. with help from a couple ABMCR coordinators [ and the woman in Paris who spotted him, evaluated him as very special, sprung him, kept him and got him on his flight to me ], TexXander arrived here may 16. it is probably not too early to say that - aside from Tracedog - he is the most promising DS I have run into.
days before TexXander appeared in jail, I had signed up to get a puppy from a breeder [ again, trying to get over Xander, but also, trying to find another ''tracedog''. Xander needed help [ texas is overrun with DS and MAL puppies right now ] and he did seem like he might be really what I had really wanted, so I went ahead and got him. but now, the breeder's pup also is very likely to have the personality I want [ and need ], so what do I do. go to 3 when I had been adamant [ seems long ago ] that I could only have one?

the 3rd Ds in that photo [ i'm not sure if more than 1 pic had 3 DS ] - middle dog in ''brindle puddle crossing beach'' is COLA, a Christie Meyer puppy, 7 months old belonging to NICO in this forum. that pic was taken here at the beach the day after TeXan arrived here, so they were ages 3, 6, and 13 months old. they all met again yesterday in Brooklyn. Saki and Cola had met twice before in Brooklyn, but May 16 was the first time they had extended and extensive play - 24 hours of beach, yard, and house time.

Re: Hi! I'm Trisha from Ventura Co. California

Posted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:52 pm
by Trisha
From all the info I can find and have been shared with here, I have contacted Les Flores, for a pup. Hopeful to hear back from them soon... I even called from Costa Rica and emailed them, Karin was very helpful at sending me their email very quickly, much appreciated!

Thank you all, for your help and kind welcome to the DS world. I look forward to more interaction with you all. I am always open to advice :D

Cheers!
Trisha

Re: Hi! I'm Trisha from Ventura Co. California

Posted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:01 pm
by Schlussdibusti
John, what a journey! Thanks for sharing. The transgressed are on such a high pedestal impossible to reach for the new. I finally went to your youtube channel and watched TD's videos - a very nice homage to a special friend and companion sometimes looking like not from this world but a visitor from a different galaxy.

If you get a 3rd DS, you might as well get a herd of sheep for them, if it is allowed in the Hamptons :roll: :lol:

Re: Hi! I'm Trisha from Ventura Co. California

Posted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:34 am
by johninny
omg, the 2 I have now would love that. Saki has extreme herding instincts. they seem to love animals in general. on Friday I found they BOTH like cats. anyway, I know I would love to have sheep, tho goats are more entertaining.
thank you on TD's behalf. being an alien would explain him being such a fluke. I cannot tell you how many people - even passing strangers on the street - would exclaim, ''OMG, he's a person !'' in utter shock, since what they actually were responding to is that momentarily they mistook him for a human; so, what they should have said is, ''OMG, he's a dog !''