Page 1 of 1
Hello everyone and some questions!
Posted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:27 pm
by Rorax
Hello everyone!
It's very nice to see such a lively forum all about dutch shepherds!
We're a family with small kids, we live in a large apartment - but no yard...read a lot of info about DS and fell in love with the breed. I know that DS are very active and need constant stimulation, we're just not sure how much "demanding" a dutch shepherd can be...
We're looking for family companion, medium-large sized dog, smart protective but friendly! we're not planning to take our dog to agility competitions or provide him him extensive and constant professional training, we'll probably stop after the dog is house broke and basically trained.
While, while my wife and kids are at home most of the time and can "play" with the dog, they would likely not "operate" him, so it's likely the dog would be able to let off some energy twice a day with me for around 30 mins each time....
So, would you think a DS could fit us? if so - FCI dog or knpv bloodlines? I understand that the knpv bloodlines tend to be a bit larger? (something we prefer).
Thanks
Re: Hello everyone and some questions!
Posted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:51 pm
by funkyhunky
You'd be better off with a lab or poodle.
The DS is not a "pet" for the inexperienced.
dan
Re: Hello everyone and some questions!
Posted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:25 am
by LyonsFamily
This is a breed that needs a job and a challenge constantly or they'll make their own jobs like eating doors. My male ate through 8 crates and 3 doors in just 3 weeks before coming to me. We train everyday and he hasn't created any new jobs for quite a while. They will need constant training way beyond house breaking and basic stuff, especially while going through the fear periods and maturing.
I lived in a 3 bedroom apartment with a 20x20 shared yard in downtown Chicago for the first year and a half with Odin. That's not something I would recommend to anyone with any large dog, let alone a DS. My husband was working from home and Odin came to work with me many days and was in multiple classes and acting as my agility demo dog, but he still required 2 hour long walks a day. My husband would take mornings and we'd walk after work to meet my husband at the train. We had to take these walks in the rain and snow too and Odin was always ready for a game of ball inside once we got home. I will say it's easier living on 10 acres now, but we're taking private lessons with another trainer to work on things still, and he just turned 3.
I also wouldn't consider a DS a friendly dog. They're loyal to the family, but many are aloof to strangers and can have high prey drives towards other dogs and animals. I wouldn't have one around small kids if you aren't committed to constant training, and definitely not a KNPV dog.
Re: Hello everyone and some questions!
Posted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:53 pm
by funkyhunky
I'd also add tha they are not all that forgiving if you make a "mistake" with them. Meaning that they are very smart and once they've learned something they've learned it, good or bad.
dan
Re: Hello everyone and some questions!
Posted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:17 pm
by Stacy_R
Rorax wrote:I know that DS are very active and need constant stimulation, we're just not sure how much "demanding" a dutch shepherd can be...
Yes, yes, and very. I have an 8 month old DSx and he can be
insufferable if not mentally and physically stimulated/exercised DAILY.
Rorax wrote:we're not planning to take our dog to agility competitions or provide him him extensive and constant professional training, we'll probably stop after the dog is house broke and basically trained.
DS learn VERY quickly and will tire of the same old, same old. They need constant training and stimulation (reminders of what they already know and learning new things). I would not recommend this breed for just a "pet"...they really need a job...they need to be active and doing and learning. Like Stefanie said:
LyonsFamily wrote:This is a breed that needs a job and a challenge constantly or they'll make their own jobs like eating doors.
Constant training is a part of life with a DS. We are always training with Tyson...on walks, during play, in the house...always refreshing/reinforcing what he knows while teaching him new things. He LOVES learning new things, and I swear he smiles when he nails a new behavior/trick.
Rorax wrote:While, while my wife and kids are at home most of the time and can "play" with the dog, they would likely not "operate" him, so it's likely the dog would be able to let off some energy twice a day with me for around 30 mins each time....
I would not recommend this dog for apartment living...not~at~all. A DS in an apartment with small kids would drive your wife crazy. "Play" is good, but they need more than play...they need
directed play. Letting off energy 2x a day for 30 min each time won't cut it. These dogs will go until they drop...a 30 minute walk is just a warm-up for these guys.

Case in point: I have had to leave town 2x to help care for my mother. The first time, I left all 3 dogs with my husband for 2 weeks. Tyson drove him nuts

, so the second time was a different story. My husband told me that the min-pin and schnauzer could stay home with him, but the DS had to go to the trainer's while I was gone.
If you are looking for a medium-sized dog, good with kids and happy in an apartment, try looking into schnauzers (mini and standard) and soft-coated wheaten terriers. Also, try looking at rescues in your area...rescue dogs make wonderful pets and some are already housebroken and have some training.
Good luck in your search for a new 4-legged family member!
Re: Hello everyone and some questions!
Posted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:19 pm
by Rorax
Well, what can i say ...

thanks for the answers.
Alas, it seems DS isn't the right breed for us....

we'll keep researching some more.
Re: Hello everyone and some questions!
Posted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:37 pm
by Karin
Just wanted to say, "good on you" for researching and asking questions!!!!!!! There are so many great dogs out there, you will find a good one... no a great one. Best to you.
Re: Hello everyone and some questions!
Posted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:16 am
by johninny
Stacey, I would be glad to get the ''insufferable'' beast out of you and your husband's hair. an offer - just in case! every time you write something, I am so thrilled to see Tyson peering from the side of my computer screen.
a tidbit on apartment living with a DS: much of Tracedog's life was as a Manhattanite in nyc. although he always had 4000-12,000sf to roam, run, and play inside [ which he used very fully ] ], I still walked with him at the very least 3 hours a day and every week or so would make it 7 or 8 hours a day, with all the mental stimulation that comes with long excursions in manhattan. he would get angry with me if he felt his quality of life was not up to snuff. walking an average of 5 hours/day every day for 12 years kept me very fit; yet one more thing I owe to my TraceDog!
Re: Hello everyone and some questions!
Posted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:28 pm
by Stacy_R
johninny wrote:Stacey, I would be glad to get the ''insufferable'' beast out of you and your husband's hair. an offer - just in case! every time you write something, I am so thrilled to see Tyson peering from the side of my computer screen.
I will definitely let you know if a respite is in order...LOL!!! And by the way...he amused us to the point of tears this past weekend when he discovered the field mice living on our back hill in the junpier bushes. Pure comedy watching him sniff, track, and POUNCE on those poor, unsuspecting mice.

He is also determined to catch those darn fireflies when we are outside in the evenings. Life is NEVER boring with a DS!
BEST foster failure EVER!!!
