Harness question

Your home for general discussion. Don't know where to post? Try here first.
Post Reply
User avatar
Asha
Green Dog
Posts: 138
Joined: Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:10 pm
Tell us about yourself: My name is Emily. I am the mother of two girls (human!!). We have one beagle named Charlie who is three and a new puppy named Asha. She is about 9 weeks old and we think she is a Dutch Shepherd Dog mix.

Harness question

Post by Asha »

So I thought I read about harnesses on the forum at same point but I can't find the thread anywhere, so I'm just gonna ask the question. Does anyone know of a specific type of harness that a dog cannot pull out of. We have tried three brands and Asha pulls out of every one. I came home this afternoon after being away for about 4 hours, which is usually the maximum amount of time we are away from her, and she was off her harness and just lying with our beagle - Thank God. I checked it before I left and gave it a good tug forward and back and it was secure. I have no idea how she pulled out of it. She is young, about 11 weeks and listens really well, but I have seen her go towards the rural, mostly Amish, road so I want to get an extremely secure harness for when we can't take her with us that way I'll know she's safe.
Emily Owner of Three mutts
Charlie - beagle/basset 5yrs
Asha - No ### Idea brindle genius 1 yr
Russell - Redbone/GSD monster 6months
DS LOVER and obsessor
User avatar
Stacy_R
Training Dog
Posts: 879
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:11 am
Tell us about yourself: 3 dogs and graying hair thanks primarily to Tyson...
Location: Carolinas

Re: Harness question

Post by Stacy_R »

Question for clarification: Are you leaving her outside on a tie-out attached to her harness?
~Stacy
Mom to:
Tyson - DS mix (Hendrix's Soul Sibling and Dinga Roo's long lost twin)
Baby Ruth - Miniature Schnauzer
Snickers - Miniature Pinscher
http://www.rescuedme.org
User avatar
Asha
Green Dog
Posts: 138
Joined: Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:10 pm
Tell us about yourself: My name is Emily. I am the mother of two girls (human!!). We have one beagle named Charlie who is three and a new puppy named Asha. She is about 9 weeks old and we think she is a Dutch Shepherd Dog mix.

Re: Harness question

Post by Asha »

Ya she is on a line. But only for about 4 hours max. If I leave her any longer she acts out, like she doesn't remember any of her already learned commands, plus I just can't stand to be away from her for that long. Not only am I nervous about what she's doing, but also, I truly MISS her.
Emily Owner of Three mutts
Charlie - beagle/basset 5yrs
Asha - No ### Idea brindle genius 1 yr
Russell - Redbone/GSD monster 6months
DS LOVER and obsessor
User avatar
Stacy_R
Training Dog
Posts: 879
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:11 am
Tell us about yourself: 3 dogs and graying hair thanks primarily to Tyson...
Location: Carolinas

Re: Harness question

Post by Stacy_R »

Have you considered crating her while you are gone or setting up an outdoor kennel? You really should never leave a dog on a tie-out unattended. They can really hurt themselves.
~Stacy
Mom to:
Tyson - DS mix (Hendrix's Soul Sibling and Dinga Roo's long lost twin)
Baby Ruth - Miniature Schnauzer
Snickers - Miniature Pinscher
http://www.rescuedme.org
User avatar
Asha
Green Dog
Posts: 138
Joined: Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:10 pm
Tell us about yourself: My name is Emily. I am the mother of two girls (human!!). We have one beagle named Charlie who is three and a new puppy named Asha. She is about 9 weeks old and we think she is a Dutch Shepherd Dog mix.

Re: Harness question

Post by Asha »

Thanks for posting. We always leave our beagle tied up outside when we leave and he has never gotten loose or had a problem being on the line and seems to actually like it. For him it is out of necessity because as soon as he hits the grass he takes off on a scent. But it seems like Asha can't stand it even for a few minutes. I looked into some past posts about collars getting caught on things and the dangers of dogs being left alone tied up. I asked in a pet shop today about a good harness for a dog and they said exactly what you posted. I've kept her in the basement the past couple of times we've had to leave her and think I'm going to make that a permanent spot for both of them when we aren't at home. There's a room in the basement that is totally empty with a door so it should work out perfect. Thanks again for the advice,
I'd do anything to keep her safe!
Emily Owner of Three mutts
Charlie - beagle/basset 5yrs
Asha - No ### Idea brindle genius 1 yr
Russell - Redbone/GSD monster 6months
DS LOVER and obsessor
Post Reply