Page 1 of 1

Is my puppy a Dutchie?

Posted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:38 am
by Corbantd
We got a new puppy from the shelter last week, and we have no idea what he is (other than adorable and sweet). Looking around online, he seems to look more like a Dutchie than any other type of dog we've seen, but I'd be very eager to hear your thoughts!

A little more information:
* He LOVES water. We took him to the park today, and he would not stop splashing in any water he found.
* Given his baby teeth, I'd guess he's 3-4 months old.
* Also he's incredibly soft (by far the softest dog I've ever had)
* He's mild-mannered with us, but feisty with our other dog
* He's VERY biddable/eager to please

Thanks!


Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

Re: Is my puppy a Dutchie?

Posted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:51 am
by Schlussdibusti
What a cutie! But I am no expert in regards to breed standards. Leave that to others here.

Love to see he has black Lab buddy :mrgreen:

Re: Is my puppy a Dutchie?

Posted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:58 am
by Corbantd
What a cutie! But I am no expert in regards to breed standards. Leave that to others here.

Love to see he has black Lab buddy
Thanks!

I'm completely smitten with the pup; he is so sweet and lovable! (The lab/beagle-ish sibling is an outstanding pooch too)

Re: Is my puppy a Dutchie?

Posted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:02 am
by johninny
for me - not an expert - it is difficult to tell with certainty at such a young age but i would guess DS. in fact, i think you have a blue DS. also guess he is 3 months unless he weighs more than i think. what is his weight?
also the way he is always looking at you - at the camera - also says DS.
anyway, he is gorgeous and very attentive. quite a find at the shelter! thanks for rescuing and WELCOME!

Re: Is my puppy a Dutchie?

Posted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:09 am
by Corbantd
what is his weight?
He's about 22-25lbs and extremely attentive and quick to learn. Our other sweet mutt takes several training sessions to pick something up, "Blue" (our DS), gets stuff in minutes and tends to remember them.

I'm really excited to learn more. Are there any genetic tests we can to do find out if he is actually a DS? Also, are any health issues we should be aware of for a Blue DS -- we'd love to look into them sooner rather than later.

Re: Is my puppy a Dutchie?

Posted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:04 am
by johninny
there are no DNA databases that include DS so if your dog is DS, the dna tests are COMPLETELY useless. the results are complete white noise, so save your money. no special health issues of which i am aware, tho i think others with more experience should comment on this. for example, should you get hip xrays ''to know''.

more important is understanding their physical, intellectual, and emotional needs. they are very different from most other dogs in these respects and for every one to be happy, it is important to get these right. that done, you should have a more spectacular addition to the family than you could have ever imagined.

and reviewing past threads on this forum is a really great place to start. you will quickly see that a number of people have great insights, and some really really know what they are talking about with great educational backgrounds and professional experience. not comprehensive, but just those that pop into my head first, you might pay particular heed to Christie Meyer, a moderator, and Stephanie [''Lyons Family''].

aside from the looks, you describe DS learning habits; one example is often all the lesson that is needed.
and at that weight, my guess is THREE months, expecting 30+ at 4 months.

good luck.

Re: Is my puppy a Dutchie?

Posted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:04 pm
by Corbantd
Thank you!

THis is all very helpful. We'll work through the forum for training/behavior ideas. I had an Anatolian growing up, who, while not the same, seem to have some strong behavioral overlaps -- I'm hoping that helps.

We also had a trainer out yesterday to offer some insights and we have a bunch of toys, games and techniques we're using to make sure he stays mentally stimulated on top of the physical work we're doing. So far, things are going great -- we just want to stay on top of it early.

Thanks!

Re: Is my puppy a Dutchie?

Posted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:10 pm
by Stacy_R
Whatever he is, he is adorable!!! That face will melt a heart!!

Re: Is my puppy a Dutchie?

Posted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:10 pm
by Sugars Mom
Yes, super cute!! Welcome to the forum : )

Re: Is my puppy a Dutchie?

Posted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:17 pm
by LyonsFamily
I think he looks like a gargoyle. The one girl from the cartoon specifically comes to find. He sure is cute though. Welcome to the forum!

Re: Is my puppy a Dutchie?

Posted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:41 pm
by johninny
that makes him a GDS?
he really does constantly study you. if you change your minds, I'll take him!!! yes, I know Stephanie, if he's this cute, he'll win all the photo contests!
will be really interesting to see if he confirms his DSness as he grows. if he does, I think he will be stunning. probably stunning anyway! some people are not too fond of the blue DS look but - at least in photos - I think it is really great. [ would certainly visually round out my stable of pups - black Tracer with hints of silver and gold stripes, red/brown/black-striped TeXan, tan and black Saki with his ''tattooed'' head, and then.......BLUE...]

Re: Is my puppy a Dutchie?

Posted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:40 am
by Corbantd
Ha ha.

I'm pretty in love with him. I've never had a dog who pays such close attention to me or is as eager to please. Also, I think he's one of the most handsome pups I've ever seen =)

Re: Is my puppy a Dutchie?

Posted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:16 am
by johninny
I agree - so beautiful. I think you are very lucky!

Re: Is my puppy a Dutchie?

Posted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:25 pm
by Asha
I love the last pic where the pups are holding hands!!

Re: Is my puppy a Dutchie?

Posted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:49 pm
by Revhendo
DS or not, by the look in those eyes, it's gonna be a hoot watching him grow up.

Re: Is my puppy a Dutchie?

Posted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:33 am
by Tappy4me
Wow, what a cutie pie!!