Page 1 of 1

Hello! New in San Diego

Posted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:23 am
by DdamienD214
Hello everyone! This is my first post here :) I am a prior Military Working Dog Handler from the Navy. I just started Schutzhund a couple months ago with a working line GSD that is 5 yrs old. (he was a navy washout). I miss working a dog, so i found the next best thing! I am in the search for my first Dutch, having really liked several while I was active duty. I have written to a couple great breeders looking for information, and there is alot to learn! I know horses and this is not that easy. I was curious as to everyones opinion about registered and non registered Dutches- NOT for the who is better debate, but as far as ability to compete. I am a loyal Malinios fan, and i have seen the arguments about the cross breeding. I am wanting a true working dog, but wanting to compete at the highest level we can. I am looking for the ring sports, schutzhund, maybe PSA type fun. Thank you so much for a great place to get some great information!

Re: Hello! New in San Diego

Posted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:57 am
by LyonsFamily
Welcome to the forum! Thanks for your time in the service. My husband was in the Navy for 4 years and we have a lot of friends still in. The Military dogs and their handlers have always fascinated me.

Hopefully a few breeders and bite sport people will chime in. We're just starting to play around in IPO, but I don't think I'll ever compete in it simply because I love the other dog sports so much and don't have clones of myself to do the other boring required parts of life.

I don't have papers for either of my 2. My male is from who knows where, was found wandering the streets of Chicago with his sister when he was 4 months old, and my female is from a working line litter, has been training in PSA since she was 12 weeks old, but she's been in a few homes before coming to me and I have no idea where her papers ended up.

I beleive Christie Meyer does PSA. Megan Bays (MeganBays) and Asheley Winters (asheleylane) breed working DS as well as Christie and would be good be to send PMs to if they don't get on soon.

A great resource for all things working dutch shepherds would be the Working Dutch Shepherd Association group. While there are a ton of people on this forum, I don't think there are many that are active in serious competitions that frequent the forums all the time. If you have facebook, here's the link to their facebook group. https://www.facebook.com/groups/177177378982736/

As far as I know the WDSA allows unpapered dogs to register in their group and you can get your scorebooks through them if you send in photos of the dog with your registration. I'm not a member, so that might be a good question to ask the group.

Re: Hello! New in San Diego

Posted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:07 pm
by Schlussdibusti
LyonsFamily wrote:
As far as I know the WDSA allows unpapered dogs to register in their group and you can get your scorebooks through them if you send in photos of the dog with your registration. I'm not a member, so that might be a good question to ask the group.
Hello and welcome to the forum!

I am on of the "bite sport people" :mrgreen: and the info above is correct. I am a member of the WDSA. My Marco, a rescue dog - no papers, has a WDSA score book and he got his BH at a DVG trial. We are training hard to get the SCHI or now called IPO.