Page 1 of 1

Guide Dogs For The Mind

Posted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:01 am
by TheLieselVonTrapp
Hello to all DSR forum members. I am brand new. I have been training dogs for over 20 years. My interest has evolved from hobby to vocation, focused upon training and placing service dogs with disabled veterans affected by PTSD and TBI. I am entering an intensive animal behavior program toward that end. I go by Liesel, live in central South Carolina, surrounded by a large military population and multiple rescue organizations who often find themselves at odds regarding training methodology, whether a veteran can or should train her own dog as a part of therapy.
Once the acute medical, psychiatric and counseling needs of the veteran are attended, my purpose is to have the dog obedience , socialized and task trained, then trained for the specific needs of the individual.
I have done some volunteer work for organizations whose members include civilians and veterans with PTSD. Many members have successfully trained their own dogs as part of confidence building therapy. Most are not able to do it.
Much of what the PSD, or psychiatric service dog does is instinctual. One can be trained to recognized the changes in her service animal which are actually alerting to physiological changes in her own body, thus preventing a full blown episode, seizure or onset of dissassociation, common in PTSD sufferers. The dog can "ground" you, use its body to block or hold you steady, or go get another human to help.
I am single, with a beautiful 10 year old German Shepherd. We are grieving the loss of our Border Collie, who died of heart failure a few months ago.
I look forward to interacting with you on this forum as I complete my studies in animal behavior.
I am a big fan of Shepherds, American or European. So I am biased, if you will to the breeds. I have witnessed their immense loyalty, skill and intelligence. I know that not everyone feels similar to us and that Shepherds are not for everyone. In the Service Dog world, many mixes and breeds meet many needs. We say, you don't always get the dog you want, you get the one you need. I hope to make that fit a little easier. Happy Holidays to all! :ds:

Re: Guide Dogs For The Mind

Posted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:55 am
by leih merigian
Welcome, Liesel!

Your work and dedication are remarkable. Good luck with your new studies.

I had an incredible GSD myself, and can understand your love for them. I'm curious, tho, what brings you to a Dutch shepherd forum? (Just curious...all are welcome here!)

Re: Guide Dogs For The Mind

Posted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:26 am
by Marjolein
Welcome :D

Re: Guide Dogs For The Mind

Posted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:52 pm
by turnnburn52984
Welcome to the forum!