Page 1 of 1

Parvo II - danger

Posted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:36 pm
by Asha
I'm sure a lot of you are completely aware of the dangers of the Parvovirus, I however was not. My cousins dog Buster is infected with the virus and is extremely sick and in all probability will need to be put to sleep because of the advanced stage of the virus. Our 12 week old pup Asha has recently played with him.
My major message here is if you have a young dog be extremely careful about the dogs you expose it to. I'm sure many of you know not to allow your pups around other dogs, but I was not made aware of this possible/probable danger. Our vet was very nonchalant about the seriousness of this virus as well as how easy a puppy can contract the virus. An unvaccinated pup can get sick from infected feces brought in on a pair of shoes. Once the dog is sick it has the virus for life. If it doesn't make it, the entire area the dog has been exposed to must be cleaned with bleach, as this is the only killer of the virus, including outdoor areas where the dog would have gone to the bathroom.
I am very interested in starting a dialogue on this virus, mainly because I think some vets don't take it serious enough, aside from saying the dog will be vaccinated for it. The dire implications of the parvovirus make it something even experienced dog owners should be compelled to discuss, if only for lending their expertise.

Re: Parvo II - danger

Posted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:32 pm
by johninny
i think you are so right. i did not know of its dire consequences until TexXander's likely brother was exposed to it in his foster home [ thankfully all after TeXan had left ]. that is when i discovered that Tamiflu could be used as prevention for dogs who had already been exposed. i am sure a number of people here are quite knowledgeable about it, but the rest of us really should know more - and thanks to you we are heading in that direction.
on that score, are we [ are you ] sure of the correctness of the conclusion of your vet that there is little [ no] risk to Asha since the other dog was not then showing overt signs? that does not comport with my knowledge of most disease's contagion profile. as a result, unless i could quickly and independently verify his view [ that of a ''nonchalant'' participant] of the contagion risk, i would want to proceed with the tamiflu - which works at very early stage [ and i think may be a one-off administration, but i am not sure as i have never used it myself ]. can others here offer real insight on the contagion stage of parvo?

Re: Parvo II - danger

Posted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:47 pm
by demonshalo
Also most people don't realize that parvo can live in the ground for up to a year. Where I work many of the people don't take care of their dogs. They're never spayed or neutered so they reproduce until the female dogs is whittled down to nothing. They are never given shots or taken to the vet and its really sad. A lot of co workers will take these dogs home to try to give them a better life. Unfortunately most of the dogs have parvo due to lack of health care. One friend brought a pup home and the pup and all three of his dogs at home died from parvo. It is pretty serious and guys have said well I'll put them in the back yard until I can take them to the vet. Best thing to do is put them in a bathroom or somewhere with tile, wood, linoleum floors that can easily be bleached and keep them away from other dogs! Don't put them out in the yard because you'll infect the ground and later on other dogs. Good luck I really hope your pup will be okay.

Re: Parvo II - danger

Posted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:54 am
by TexasMedy
I am always extremely paranoid until my dogs get all their puppy vaccines. I stay out of petco, dog parks, and away from crowds and contact with as few humans as possible. and no playing with unknown dogs. I even get very nervous walking in the vet and keep this to a minimum. Who knows how many dogs with Parvo walk into a vet and not all are diagnosed. I like to administer my own vaccines to help keep them at home. If I must travel with the puppy I never let them use potty in normal spots at rest area or gas station or other high traffic areas where dogs are doing their thing. I pull to a secluded spot. Yes it is a scary and resilient virus.
Coyotes can even carry the parvo virus so you are not safe walking in the woods. We know we have never had parvo virus in our home or yard (been here over two decades) so that is where we try to keep them until puppy is past the final shot. Also there are stronger strains in various regions. Texas is known for some very strong strains of parvo. Another note is Rottweiler and Shepherds are extremely susceptible to parvo. It does not affect all breeds equally. If a dog dies from Parvo the area must be cleaned with bleach.

Re: Parvo II - danger

Posted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:07 am
by TexasMedy