Page 1 of 1

Greetings from Bradenton, Florida

Posted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:31 pm
by chiroone
Having recently becoming very enamored with the DS breed, I have to come to your forum to learn more of this beautiful creature. I have had the opportunity to see several of these fine animals by way of friends on the police force. We are considering adding one to our family. I like their loving and protective nature. Does anyone have advice on breeders or contacts that can help me in this endeavor?

Re: Greetings from Bradenton, Florida

Posted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:45 am
by Christie M
Hi there,
Welcome to the forum. There are many breeders on this list, so hopefully they will introduce themselves. If you are looking for a great pet DS with a known temperament, maybe consider looking into Dutch Shepherd Rescue. There are many dogs that come into rescue whose only fault is that they are not up for the challenge of being a good police K9. Most make excellent pets. And honestly, FL has the highest concentration of DS showing up in shelters than any other state. Most go unhelped because of lack of rescue resources to pull, foster..etc.
Good luck in your search for a new companion and we are excited to hear of you your DS antics!!

Re: Greetings from Bradenton, Florida

Posted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:33 am
by vneerland
Welcome Chiro1. Would you mind telling us what your name is? You can also create a signature, so we don't have to keep aksing. :mrgreen:

Re: Greetings from Bradenton, Florida

Posted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:29 am
by chiroone
vneerland wrote:Welcome Chiro1. Would you mind telling us what your name is? You can also create a signature, so we don't have to keep aksing. :mrgreen:
My name is Legion, for we are many

Sorry, could not resist that one; my name is Daniel

Re: Greetings from Bradenton, Florida

Posted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:54 pm
by leih merigian
Welcome, Daniel!

So, since my Latin is way worse than just rusty, please translate your signature line, OK?<G>

Re: Greetings from Bradenton, Florida

Posted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:07 pm
by chiroone
Sure, no problem, broadly translated, it means; "only by comprehending the origin of a problem, may one resolve it"
I am a chiropractic physician, and it has been my "battle cry" for quite awhile

Re: Greetings from Bradenton, Florida

Posted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:27 pm
by leih merigian
chiroone wrote:Sure, no problem, broadly translated, it means; "only by comprehending the origin of a problem, may one resolve it"
I am a chiropractic physician, and it has been my "battle cry" for quite awhile
Well, that's a very appropriate sentiment, especially regarding training :lol:

Do you have any dogs at present?

Re: Greetings from Bradenton, Florida

Posted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:35 pm
by vneerland
:? Oh! Someone with a sense of humor? I am not sure if that is allowed on this list. ;)
JUST kidding Daniel. Welcome again. (I thought I should change my signature to include "cave canem" just for this occasion, but decided against it) :ds:

Re: Greetings from Bradenton, Florida

Posted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:26 am
by Marjolein
Welcome :D

Re: Greetings from Bradenton, Florida

Posted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:49 pm
by turnnburn52984
Welcome!

Re: Greetings from Bradenton, Florida

Posted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:38 am
by KRoberts626
Welcome to the forum! I live in Tampa and have a 7 month old DS :)

Re: Greetings from Bradenton, Florida

Posted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:27 pm
by chiroone
KRoberts626 wrote:Welcome to the forum! I live in Tampa and have a 7 month old DS :)

So where did you get your DS from?

Re: Greetings from Bradenton, Florida

Posted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:57 pm
by KRoberts626
chiroone wrote:
KRoberts626 wrote:Welcome to the forum! I live in Tampa and have a 7 month old DS :)

So where did you get your DS from?
From Asheley with Vrijheid in Utah :) She's on this forum

Re: Greetings from Bradenton, Florida

Posted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:27 am
by chiroone
KRoberts626 wrote: From Asheley with Vrijheid in Utah :) She's on this forum
Looking at the Vrijheid site, I figured they just specialized in working DS. If you do not mind my asking, are you planning to use yours for that purpose or is it for companion purposes? Where you able to visit the dog before you got it, or did you just go by the pictures online?

Thanks

Daniel

Re: Greetings from Bradenton, Florida

Posted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:07 pm
by KRoberts626
chiroone wrote:
KRoberts626 wrote: From Asheley with Vrijheid in Utah :) She's on this forum
Looking at the Vrijheid site, I figured they just specialized in working DS. If you do not mind my asking, are you planning to use yours for that purpose or is it for companion purposes? Where you able to visit the dog before you got it, or did you just go by the pictures online?

Thanks

Daniel
Goal is mainly FR, and we'll see whatever else looks like fun. I've looked into dock diving and such. In the past I had Beaucerons and I used to take them herding and lure coursing as well (just for fun). But she is still 100% in the house and is a family dog first. Wasn't able to visit, just went by pictures but I had shipped dogs to me in the past (or had them relayed from person to person). Getting to see the parents/litter is very difficult with the rarer breeds!

Re: Greetings from Bradenton, Florida

Posted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:44 am
by chiroone
Sorry for my ingnorance, but what does "FR" mean

Re: Greetings from Bradenton, Florida

Posted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:36 pm
by icvanstra
chiroone wrote:Sorry for my ingnorance, but what does "FR" mean
Good thing you asked and because I spent some time yesterday working on it ;) ....take a look here for common acronyms: http://www.dutchshepherdforum.com/viewt ... f=55&t=261

Re: Greetings from Bradenton, Florida

Posted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:02 pm
by KRoberts626
chiroone wrote:Sorry for my ingnorance, but what does "FR" mean
Ooops, my bad. French Ring Sport. Good sites for info (as shown from the link below as well- thank you) NARA http://www.ringsport.org and ARF frenchringsport.com