Page 1 of 1

Hello from Florida

Posted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:44 pm
by steph90
Here is my pup about a week after i got him. He was a skinny little shelter puppy. Not anymore :) I'll upload some more recent photos soon.
Here is my pup about a week after i got him. He was a skinny little shelter puppy. Not anymore :) I'll upload some more recent photos soon.
I just adopted my first Dutch Shepherd a few months ago. He is a great dog and i can't wait to learn more about his breed. I'm sure everyone here has some great stories about their dogs and i can't wait to hear 'em. In the short time that I've had my dog cody he has sure gotten himself into some crazy situations. :shock: Lol. He is learning and growing at an amazing rate and I look forward to many years with him. :D

Re: Hello from Florida

Posted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:13 am
by chiroone
Greetings Steph, I am from Florida too, Bradenton to be exact. I am looking to also rescue/adopt a DS. Where did you adopt yours? I understans from another member of this forum that we have a lot of DS in shelters, not exactly sure why that is . good luck with your new addition.

Re: Hello from Florida

Posted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:37 am
by steph90
I am from Miami, Fl. Before I even knew what breed of dog I wanted to adopt, I had already made the decision to adopt from a shelter. When I discovered the Dutch Shep, I knew it was the breed for me but I wasn't sure I would ever find one in a shelter. I decided to wait a few months, and if nothing came up I would search for the nearest DS rescue group (although I don't like the idea of that, because there aren't any groups within driving distance and I would never want a dog flown to me before I could meet it). Sure enough a month after watching shelters online I saw Cody and adopted him a day later. He was listed as a mix, which isn't surprising because of how uncommon the breed is. I am not sure he is full DS but he sure has the looks and characteristics of one. The more he grows the more I'm convinced he is a full DS. Either way, I love him and he's a great dog. Anyway, he is a shelter pup, but there are always breed specific rescue groups if you don't want to buy from a breeder and you can't find one at a shelter. Good luck! :)

Re: Hello from Florida

Posted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:26 pm
by leih merigian
Welcome Steph!

He's a real cutie...looking forward to more pictures and puppy stories...

Re: Hello from Florida

Posted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:59 pm
by vneerland
Welcome Steph90 (is your name steph?) Please create a signature line with your name so we know 'who is who' beyond our screen names.
Thank you for adopting a shelter pup. 8-) It is so wonderful to see deserving animals get a chance to live a good life. Your pup's muzzle looks a little coarse for a DS, but I will admit that it is hard to judge from just one picture. And regardless: a good dog found a loving home, and that sounds like a perfect situation to me :yeah:

Re: Hello from Florida

Posted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:05 pm
by steph90
Yes my opinion on his breed changes daily.. haha. I''m sure he's part DS but he is starting to develop a deeper chest and more excess skin. Maybe it's just a lanky puppy stage.. I probably won't have any closer of an idea until he's full grown. Someone told me he looked like he had great dane in him yesterday.. theres a scary thought. :shock: ;) I'll try uploading some pictures in the photos section. Maybe I can hear some different ideas. Thanks for the welcomes

Re: Hello from Florida

Posted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:46 am
by chiroone
steph90 wrote:Yes my opinion on his breed changes daily.. haha. I''m sure he's part DS but he is starting to develop a deeper chest and more excess skin. Maybe it's just a lanky puppy stage.. I probably won't have any closer of an idea until he's full grown. Someone told me he looked like he had great dane in him yesterday.. theres a scary thought. :shock: ;) I'll try uploading some pictures in the photos section. Maybe I can hear some different ideas. Thanks for the welcomes
Steph,


He is a cute little guy and must have a good bit of DS I m thinking. How did you know when the shelter had him, did you keep checking their web site or did they alert you?. In any case, I hope you enjoy the little guy greatly. Hope you guys are a little warmer on the east coast, we are still in the fridgid hi 50s here. Warm by comparasion to the rest of the country, but I guess it is true we Floridians have become wimps when it comes to cold weather

Re: Hello from Florida

Posted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:23 am
by Marjolein
Welcome :)

Re: Hello from Florida

Posted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:49 pm
by turnnburn52984
Welcome to the forum!