New Member in Texas

For our new members to introduce themselves
Post Reply
User avatar
Ramy
Just Whelped
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:57 pm
Tell us about yourself: I just acquired my first DS, Ruger is a 9 wk old male from working lines. We currently live in east Texas, and will be moving to remote (very remote) Eastern Oregon in the next 6 months. I hope to train my pup for wilderness SAR, agility, and possibly Schutzhund. I also have 2 standard poodles. I am looking for training advice specific to this breed, as he is quite different from any other dog I have worked with before. I am exploring clicker training with him, and it is my first attempt with it.
Location: East Texas (East Oregon after Spring 2014)

New Member in Texas

Post by Ramy »

I just got my first DS pup, and he is something! He'll have me trained in no time, I'm sure :lol:
Ruger ("Roo") is super sharp. I am exploring clicker training for the first time, and would like to connect with other DS owners for breed specific tips in this area.
We currently live in East Texas, but have bought a ranch in remote Eastern Oregon where we will be moving as soon as the mountain passes between here and there are clear in the Spring. I was hoping to be up there by now, but technicalities here have slowed us down. With the weather they are having already, though, it's probably not a bad thing. We will be renovating a log house and living in an RV for awhile. Not sure I want to do that in cold and snow...
So I have a new pup to keep me busy over the winter.
I also have two standard poodles (no, no contrast there! Ha Ha Ha), one of whom is very smart, the other is, well, very blonde. Both are very mellow (almost comatose in comparison to the new guy).
My Roo came from a program that produces military, police, and personal protection dogs. Fortunately, he is less drive-y than the rest of his litter. He is not shy by any means, just not as "crazy" as the others. I have been very impressed with is boldness and confidence. He will go anywhere with an air of authority. I have to really watch him around the horses, that lack of fear could easily get him in trouble. I've had him out around people and he greets everyone with confidence. This is really a cool pup and I am enjoying him thoroughly.
My goal, if it works out, is to pursue wilderness SAR with him primarily. I would also be interested in doing agility and possibly Schutzhund, though I'm not sure what opportunities we will have for those in our new location. He is mostly meant to be a family companion, particularly for my almost 4 year old daughter. We will be living in a very remote, mountainous area, and I wanted a dog that would be watchful and protective of her (and the rest of us, too). I think if we can just survive the piranha-puppy stage we will be fine.
Ramy
headed to Oregon from Texas
Ruger the new owner trainer
Sugars Mom
Working Dog
Posts: 1734
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:16 am
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.

Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!

I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences.
Location: Victoria BC

Re: New Member in Texas

Post by Sugars Mom »

Welcome and congrats on your new pup! I hear you on the piranha stage!!

Looking forward to seeing pics and hearing more about Roo :)
Sue (and Sugar)

Image
Karin
Green Dog
Posts: 154
Joined: Thu May 30, 2013 11:27 pm
Tell us about yourself: Hi there.
I WILL be a new Dutch Shepherd owner on July 20th!!! Puppies are on the ground and a huge litter at 14! Very excited. I chose the Dutch because I like high drive dogs and my husband likes shepherds. We both have had GSDs in our past. I also am interested in search and rescue training. I live in the mountains of California and have two older Australian Shepherds. I do know that I have a job managing this pack. My husband is on board with it all. No kids. Both of us have flexible jobs. We are active folk but aging! ;-))
Still we mountain bike, hike, cross-country ski and my husband runs. I walk in the woods with the dogs 3 times a day and we are lucky to have US Forest right out the door. So that is it.

Re: New Member in Texas

Post by Karin »

Welcome.

I'm at Lake Tahoe in CA. I have a nearly 6 month DS and am training him in SAR. The DS, I think, tend to have a phenomenal nose. Reading about this it may be in part due to the dark pigment that is so prominent on the DS, lips, nose, mouth etc. Dark pigment apparently factors into olfactory function.

I have been clicker training Tygo and it is going great. I don't think there are necessary specific tips for the DS, just be consistent and use high value treats. I love clicker training. Start now! ;-)

The good news is the piranha phase does pass at about 3-4 months, and then with teething I now have the, "well I won't bite you, but I will destroy every toy and bed" phase.

Having an ex-pen in the house and crate training is what has saved both me and Tygo. Provides me with many options.

Best to you and welcome to the west!

Karin
Karin In Lake Tahoe
Ptygo de las Flores (Tee-go)
Born May 24, 2013
User avatar
Ramy
Just Whelped
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:57 pm
Tell us about yourself: I just acquired my first DS, Ruger is a 9 wk old male from working lines. We currently live in east Texas, and will be moving to remote (very remote) Eastern Oregon in the next 6 months. I hope to train my pup for wilderness SAR, agility, and possibly Schutzhund. I also have 2 standard poodles. I am looking for training advice specific to this breed, as he is quite different from any other dog I have worked with before. I am exploring clicker training with him, and it is my first attempt with it.
Location: East Texas (East Oregon after Spring 2014)

Re: New Member in Texas

Post by Ramy »

Karin,
I guess I need to invest in another ex pen, his is outside on the covered porch. Tried kenneling him in the house for a few nights and it didn't work so well. He wanted out an hour after we went to bed, then an hour later he wanted out again. When he went back in the crate that time he set to having a screaming hissy fit. He stays in his crate just fine during the day for long stretches (if we are traveling, which we've done a couple of times all day since I've had him) so I'm guessing he just doesn't like staying in it at night. I finally put him in the ex pen on the porch with the crate door propped open that night, and he has been happy there at night ever since. I will still work on house training, then try him inside at night again because that's where I ultimately want him to sleep. He is doing well on peeing on command, I've noticed he has started squatting to pee, then looking up to make sue I see what he's doing, expecting his praise. I had one dog that would do that his whole life. If I walked into the yard he would run and hike his leg and look at me like, "Look Mom, good, right??"
As for the piranha stage, how do you deal with this? I've never had a dog like this before. The last pup I had is now almost 10. He is a standard poodle, and a few gentle bops on the end of his nose as he mouthed, along with "eh!" and that was it, he understood teeth were not to be put on people. I've had border collies, too, and that's about it for my puppy raising. I'm beginning to think the DS is a cross between a border collie and a chainsaw! I understand the mouthiness is normal for the breed, and I don't want to cause later problems. So how do you manage this appropriately, and what can I realistically expect from this guy? He can really get wound up playing, too. He loves to play tug, and will "sometimes" fetch the toy. What are some of the best ways to play with this type of pup at this stage? If you potentially want to do any type of sport that involves biting, I guess you don't want to take that out of them (not that you realistically could)?
We have started clicker training, working on sit, touch and come so far. Oh, another question. How do you respond when you are not training, do not have a clicker or treats, and the pup comes up and offers a behavior you are working on, like sit? I have just praised him and petted him, I guess he will figure out he doesn't get to decide when we are "training" and when we are not ;)
Ramy
headed to Oregon from Texas
Ruger the new owner trainer
Karin
Green Dog
Posts: 154
Joined: Thu May 30, 2013 11:27 pm
Tell us about yourself: Hi there.
I WILL be a new Dutch Shepherd owner on July 20th!!! Puppies are on the ground and a huge litter at 14! Very excited. I chose the Dutch because I like high drive dogs and my husband likes shepherds. We both have had GSDs in our past. I also am interested in search and rescue training. I live in the mountains of California and have two older Australian Shepherds. I do know that I have a job managing this pack. My husband is on board with it all. No kids. Both of us have flexible jobs. We are active folk but aging! ;-))
Still we mountain bike, hike, cross-country ski and my husband runs. I walk in the woods with the dogs 3 times a day and we are lucky to have US Forest right out the door. So that is it.

Re: New Member in Texas

Post by Karin »

Hey there… couple of things.

Get Scent of the Missing (Susannah Charleston) a book about a Texas SAR volunteer and her dog. It is a retriever but it is a relatively new book and might give you some ideas about Texas training. You can and should start training with a group now. There are entirely puppy appropriate training methods that gets them going.

On the piranha stage… First, every dog is different but my experience was similar, I have never had such a bite-y puppy. This coupled with sharp baby teeth and his nightly cujo possession period (5 PM to 8 PM), I thought I was really really in for it. The cujo period in particular.. he was whacked. BUT, I had a trainer that said that puppies need to bite and learn bite inhibition, so I kept working with him, letting him bite a little but working with him to not bite hard. I also invested in every toy and chew I could think of… (I started a thread in Whatever a couple months ago, called "Appropriate Chew Toys", you can probably search it, great info there from others). I am happy to report that the cujo possessions happen… well not at all recently. Tygo now can keep his wits about him, although he can test the limits don't get me wrong. You will be in a very celebratory mood at 4 months when the puppy teeth start dropping. Tygo now likes to mouth my arm at times more when I'm petting him and he is in a relaxed mood. I do just correct him and he is much better. I will also say, that while I think his back teeth and gums are still a bit sore (he is just shy of 6 months with all adult teeth), when he plays with tug toys he is pretty darn spot on and never catches my hand or fingers accidentally. So, I do think this stage is typical, keep consistent rules, buy things to divert his mouth but don't over punish him for using those jaws. Now I forgot your other questions, hold on.
Karin In Lake Tahoe
Ptygo de las Flores (Tee-go)
Born May 24, 2013
Karin
Green Dog
Posts: 154
Joined: Thu May 30, 2013 11:27 pm
Tell us about yourself: Hi there.
I WILL be a new Dutch Shepherd owner on July 20th!!! Puppies are on the ground and a huge litter at 14! Very excited. I chose the Dutch because I like high drive dogs and my husband likes shepherds. We both have had GSDs in our past. I also am interested in search and rescue training. I live in the mountains of California and have two older Australian Shepherds. I do know that I have a job managing this pack. My husband is on board with it all. No kids. Both of us have flexible jobs. We are active folk but aging! ;-))
Still we mountain bike, hike, cross-country ski and my husband runs. I walk in the woods with the dogs 3 times a day and we are lucky to have US Forest right out the door. So that is it.

Re: New Member in Texas

Post by Karin »

Playing tug… see if you can find some of the You Tube videos by Michael Ellis dog trainer. A good way to play with the tug, is to tug for a bit, then give an "out" command, and get the release, wait a few seconds (give a sit if pup is too amped) and then initiate again. Never let him "win" unless you are sure he will bring it back to you to engage. You want to encourage that you are the fun, not possession of the tug. Keep working on fetch… I still don't have a return it to me that is consistent but I can't wait until I can throw a ball over and over. I like Michael Ellis's concept of "capping" the energy. So tug or play and then get the sit for a few seconds and then resume. It will come with age too, the ability to contain and cap.

Crating. Since your dog will crate during the day, he will do it at night but he has trained you. ;-)
Not saying you have to crate at night but it is a way to keep the dog out of trouble. Reading up on crating, you might have some rough nights, but I would crate him, taken him out for a pee at 2 or 3 and then first thing in the AM to start. Yes there will be howling but maybe a frozen kong treat at each evening crate will make him like it more. There is a ton of stuff here and on line about crate training. Depends what you want to do, I need to have that option because Tygo could still be a very destructive dog.

When I get a behavior I like but no click or treat I do a good chest rub and ear rub and Tygo seems to respond to that well.

Hope that helps. They change phenomenally fast. Tygo was a pudge last week and then his legs grew again and now he is tall and skinny. I was glad to see the super wild puppy thing go and the teeth, with his maturity is also coming a deep bonding and he and I are touching that intuitive level.

Anyway, best to you.

karin
Karin In Lake Tahoe
Ptygo de las Flores (Tee-go)
Born May 24, 2013
User avatar
Ramy
Just Whelped
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:57 pm
Tell us about yourself: I just acquired my first DS, Ruger is a 9 wk old male from working lines. We currently live in east Texas, and will be moving to remote (very remote) Eastern Oregon in the next 6 months. I hope to train my pup for wilderness SAR, agility, and possibly Schutzhund. I also have 2 standard poodles. I am looking for training advice specific to this breed, as he is quite different from any other dog I have worked with before. I am exploring clicker training with him, and it is my first attempt with it.
Location: East Texas (East Oregon after Spring 2014)

Re: New Member in Texas

Post by Ramy »

Thanks, Karin, I will look into those resources. Since we are moving to Oregon in the next 6 months, I don't know about getting involved in a group here :|
I am already seeing a slight mellowing in the craziness, or I'm learning to deal with it better. Maybe some of both...
Thank you so much for the feedback and recommendations.
Ramy
headed to Oregon from Texas
Ruger the new owner trainer
Boss Dawg
Just Whelped
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:57 am
Tell us about yourself: A fairly new DS owner. I busted Boss Dawg (aka JoJo) out of the clink on St. Patty's Day of this year. He was the only dog in the place who sat quietly and calmly in the middle of his kennel without making a peep, while every other dog was going barking mad. I didn't know anything about his breed at the time. Just that his size was good, I knew he wouldn't grow beyond it, and that he could handle all the hiking and jogging I could throw at him (now I know that to be the understatement of the century). The pound identified him as a Dutch Shepherd mix. Having had him these last months and attempting to educate myself on his breed background, if I had to guess a mix, I would say DS and Belgian Malinois. Adopting this dog has kept me VERY busy these last months. :) But good busy. He's a smart and wonderful dog.
Location: Arizona

Re: New Member in Texas

Post by Boss Dawg »

"Part chainsaw" hahahahahahaha. Yes, I'm pretty sure JoJo has a bit of that in his "mix," as well.

I saw both the mouthing and the running around like a complete lunatic when I adopted him at 1.5 approx. years of age. To be fair, they said he came to the pound as a stray, so it could have just been his "hobo" time that caused him to revert if he ever did belong to someone. If he did belong to someone, my guess is he scared the crap out of them and they dumped him, or he jumped the fence (he's also part kangaroo) where he was kept (which had to be outdoors, since he had never been inside a house when I got him, that was clear). Not sure. But he's mellowed out A LOT on both since I've had him these past 8 months. Consistency is key from what I see, too, even as a complete newbie. A boatload of consistent exercise and training.

I'll be interested to hear how your pooch does with horses. I'm now beginning to train JoJo to jog alongside a bike. I feel like this is going to be like riding a twitch racehorse of a bike with a twitchy racehorse of a dog attached. :lol:
S. and her trusty sidekick, Handsome Joe

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/eiyzuljxfpu61xo/Vw3L1hOoyY
User avatar
Ramy
Just Whelped
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:57 pm
Tell us about yourself: I just acquired my first DS, Ruger is a 9 wk old male from working lines. We currently live in east Texas, and will be moving to remote (very remote) Eastern Oregon in the next 6 months. I hope to train my pup for wilderness SAR, agility, and possibly Schutzhund. I also have 2 standard poodles. I am looking for training advice specific to this breed, as he is quite different from any other dog I have worked with before. I am exploring clicker training with him, and it is my first attempt with it.
Location: East Texas (East Oregon after Spring 2014)

Re: New Member in Texas

Post by Ramy »

Boss Dawg, you need to be sure and get video of jogging your beast on a bicycle :lol: He's a handsome boy, by the way.
So far, Roo shows no fear of the horses, even after the mini stud got out and pawed him. He is still interested and I have to watch him carefully or he will be under the fence and under their feet in an instant. Not running at them, not barking, just very curious and bold. No fear. Haven't really found anything this pup is afraid of so far. But that's not surprising considering he came from a kennel where they train military, police, and personal protection dogs. I need to find out more about his specific bloodlines.
Ramy
headed to Oregon from Texas
Ruger the new owner trainer
Post Reply