Hello from Florida
Posted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:57 pm
Hi everybody! Just wanted to introduce myself after pouring over all the information in this forum. I also have a few questions. I have a 3½ month old female DS/Belgian Mal mix who looks all Dutch to me. We've had her for six weeks now, and her name is Dutchess. So far, she is wonderful. What a personality!
As for my questions, #1 - We've started our puppy obedience classes, and she does not seem to like the other puppies. The first day, she was all over everybody, wanting to play and being obnoxious. Classes two and three, she had no interest in playing, and just wanted to sit by me. I gotta say, it made me look good, like my puppy is so well-behaved, when in reality, I think she's a bit of a snob!
#2 - We're going to meet a 5 year old male DS/mix tomorrow. He's had a traumatic past, having been returned to the shelter at least three times. I believe he was a witness to his last owner's murder in 2012, went back to the shelter, and is currently being fostered. My question is if I'm crazy to think I can take on this dog while I have a puppy? Is it even fair to Dutchess? And do you think he'll be way too neurotic?
I'm new to this breed (I had a Vizsla for 15 years, who was super-energetic and SMART), so I value any input you can provide.
Thanks!
Linda
As for my questions, #1 - We've started our puppy obedience classes, and she does not seem to like the other puppies. The first day, she was all over everybody, wanting to play and being obnoxious. Classes two and three, she had no interest in playing, and just wanted to sit by me. I gotta say, it made me look good, like my puppy is so well-behaved, when in reality, I think she's a bit of a snob!
#2 - We're going to meet a 5 year old male DS/mix tomorrow. He's had a traumatic past, having been returned to the shelter at least three times. I believe he was a witness to his last owner's murder in 2012, went back to the shelter, and is currently being fostered. My question is if I'm crazy to think I can take on this dog while I have a puppy? Is it even fair to Dutchess? And do you think he'll be way too neurotic?
I'm new to this breed (I had a Vizsla for 15 years, who was super-energetic and SMART), so I value any input you can provide.
Thanks!
Linda