Greetings from the Northwest

For our new members to introduce themselves
Post Reply
Rob C
Puppy
Posts: 48
Joined: Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:20 pm
Tell us about yourself: I live in Washington state, and I'm just trying to find out about the Dutch Shepherd breed and thought this might be a good place to start.

Greetings from the Northwest

Post by Rob C »

Greetings everyone. I'm Rob and I'm from Vancouver, WA. I'm not overly familiar with the Dutch Shepherd breed, though I've been the proud parent of a GSD who passed away about 2 years ago. I've finally decided I was ready to welcome a new family member, and after looking around, I thought I would look in to the Dutch Shepherd. Some day I would love to become involved in Schutzhund, and any one who has information and experience in this please feel free to educate!!! :lol:

I actually have my dad to thank for bringing the Dutch Shepherd to my attention. He has been thinking about having one after he retires so he has the time to fully commit to training and such. Plus he loves the short coat lol. So after doing some research, this sounds like a perfect animal for my family's lifestyle. We are pretty active throughout the year, even with the weather here in the Northwest ;) . I can't wait to learn from you guys/gals! And I hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving.
Rob C
Vancouver, WA
johninny
Working Dog
Posts: 1326
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:22 am
Tell us about yourself: DS and Mal foster newly approved aug'12 by NADSR and ABMCR. high-functioning Autistic in nyc/hamptons in my 60's. Rescued the smartest dog i had ever seen off nyc street in 2000. Tracedog's intelligence exceeded by multiples my judgement that day. My first [and only as of 10/2012] dog turned out to be a DS, perhaps with a touch of something else, but attention to detail, behavioral traits, and physical habits, movement, and skill identical to DS. But MUCH more intellectual ability. supremely confident in all settings, fearless, very outgoing and social with people and friendly with dogs. Seldom apart in over 12 years, Trace Dog was the most important relationship of my adult life; he was my partner. He died july17,2012. i am dying without him. www.youtube.com/tracesobaka www.dogster.com/dogs/637612
Location: NH/hamptons/nyc

Re: Greetings from the Northwest

Post by johninny »

welcome to the forum. look forward to hearing when a DS arrives in your or your father's family.
John & DS rscus TRACE DOG,99-12; fstr7yoCain,8-9/12; Xander(3/12)11/12-2/13; SAKIMA (b.4/12)from11/12; TxXANDER (b.2/13)from5/13; direct from CherCar: TRACER (b.5/4/13). http://www.youtube.com/sakimadoggy http://www.youtube.com/tracesobaka
Rob C
Puppy
Posts: 48
Joined: Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:20 pm
Tell us about yourself: I live in Washington state, and I'm just trying to find out about the Dutch Shepherd breed and thought this might be a good place to start.

Re: Greetings from the Northwest

Post by Rob C »

Thanks for the welcome. I'm still looking around at breeders but maybe around the beginning of the year I'll have one. But you can be sure I'll be putting pictures up and info once I do. :D
Rob C
Vancouver, WA
Karin
Green Dog
Posts: 154
Joined: Thu May 30, 2013 11:27 pm
Tell us about yourself: Hi there.
I WILL be a new Dutch Shepherd owner on July 20th!!! Puppies are on the ground and a huge litter at 14! Very excited. I chose the Dutch because I like high drive dogs and my husband likes shepherds. We both have had GSDs in our past. I also am interested in search and rescue training. I live in the mountains of California and have two older Australian Shepherds. I do know that I have a job managing this pack. My husband is on board with it all. No kids. Both of us have flexible jobs. We are active folk but aging! ;-))
Still we mountain bike, hike, cross-country ski and my husband runs. I walk in the woods with the dogs 3 times a day and we are lucky to have US Forest right out the door. So that is it.

Re: Greetings from the Northwest

Post by Karin »

Hi Rob.

Welcome. Hey I got my puppy from Les Flores up in Rochester, WA. He is both a breeder of FCI lines and he runs the Cascade Schutzhund Club and he puts on the Working Dutch Shepherd Association Championships and I think has won them several times. Since he is so close to you I would recommend that you chat with him. He seems to welcome inquiry. There are of course other great breeders but I think he is one of them. You can find him at delasfloreskennel.com or on Facebook. Give him a call and by the way he does have a litter on the ground right now so whether you are ready or not you could probably go up for a visit.

Good luck and they are a riot… I have a 6 month old training for SAR.

Karin
Karin In Lake Tahoe
Ptygo de las Flores (Tee-go)
Born May 24, 2013
Rob C
Puppy
Posts: 48
Joined: Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:20 pm
Tell us about yourself: I live in Washington state, and I'm just trying to find out about the Dutch Shepherd breed and thought this might be a good place to start.

Re: Greetings from the Northwest

Post by Rob C »

Hi Karen. Yeah I have a couple of breeders in mind that I'm going to call and talk to, and just get a feel of how they are. Yeah I am looking forward to having one in the family. Not to mention how beautiful they are. They look like brindle wolves :D
Rob C
Vancouver, WA
Brindle
Green Dog
Posts: 148
Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:03 am
Tell us about yourself: Loving life in Oregon with some AMAZING Dutch Shepherds !

UWP Vrijheid's Force IPO3 (x5), FH2, AD, TDX, OSP, L2C, CGC, CD, APR1, TDU, NW3-C, NW3-E, NW3-V, NW3-I, NW3 Elite, ELT1, NA, NF, L3I, TG-N, TN-N, NAJ, VCD1, CSL1- F, CSL1-H, ELT2, L1E, CA, L2E, ELT3, ELT-CH, L3V, K9 Blood Donor
Vrijheid's Qahlua (Vodka) IPO3, L2I, L3C, NW3V, NW3C, NW3E. NW3I, L3E, NJP, NAP, OFP, NW3 Elite, L2V, TD
Van Kracht's Absolut Fury ( youngster in training )
Location: Oregon

Re: Greetings from the Northwest

Post by Brindle »

Hi Rob,
( waving to you from a little South :wave: )
I'm in Oregon and have 2 Dutch Shepherds.
We train SchH down here in Or, and compete in Or and Wa.
I'm more than happy to chat with you about my dogs, and you're welcome to meet them if down this way.
My male " Force" ( pictures and info below ) is from Asheley of Vrijheid Dutch Shepherds in Utah.
He's a little over 4 yrs old now.
I recently got a puppy one from her, that is also the daughter of my male :D
Asheley produces some amazing working dogs and is a wealth of knowledge on the health, lines and working traits of Dutch Shepherds and stands behind her dogs 110%.
You can contact her from her website : http://www.dutchshepherds.us/

Christie Meyer of Northwoods K9 also produces awesome working dogs : http://www.northwoodsk9.com/index.html

Both Christie and Asheley are also on facebook so there's another option for checking them out :D

Another option is to contact the North American Dutch Shepherd Rescue, put in an adoption application and see what comes your way. They have a very good network of people rescuing, fostering, transporting dogs. They do screen dogs and assess behavioral traits. Some of these rescues have gone on to be sport dogs, SAR, narcotics dogs and LE K9's.
Just something to think about.
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org/

Looking forward to hearing more about your adventures into the world of Dutch Shepherds.
:D
UWP Vrijheid's Force IPO3,FH2,AD,TDX,OSP,L2C,CGC,CD,APR1,TDU,NA,NF,L3I,TG-N,TN-N,NAJ,VCD1,CSL1-F,CSL1-H,L1E,CA,L2E, ELT-CH,L3V

Vrijheid's Qahlua IPO3,L2I,L3CI,L3E,NJP,NAP,OFP,NW3 Elite,L2V,TD

Van Kracht's Absolut Fury ( in training )
Tribe of 5
Just Whelped
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:32 am
Tell us about yourself: Have two rescue dogs and two rescue cats. Love herding breeds.

Re: Greetings from the Northwest

Post by Tribe of 5 »

Hi Rob, I am so happy to find this website. When I had to say good bye to my GSD I went to a rescue group in Pasco Co. Florida. I was looking into adopting another GSD, when I mentioned the rescue group to my brother he checked it out and told me about Dutchies. Needless to say I came home with my girl, Holly-Anna. When I researched the breed and found out how uncommon the breed was, I questioned whether she was a Hollander. Since then I have been approached by a couple of guys in the military and police who were amazed that I had a Dutch Shepherd. Since adopting Holly, going on 3 years, I have noticed an increasing number of Dutch Shepherds in shelters. One was listed as an Aussie.
Tribe of 5
Just Whelped
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:32 am
Tell us about yourself: Have two rescue dogs and two rescue cats. Love herding breeds.

Re: Greetings from the Northwest

Post by Tribe of 5 »

I understand I'm the new kid on the block, but I hope everyone will consider rescuing a Dutch Shepherd. Holly is incredible. She was approximately one year when she joined the family and is great. After loosing my Aussie, after 12 years together, I just adopted a Collie mix. Point being, please consider that there are rescue groups out there that could very well have a Dutch Shepherd in need of someone who is familiar with the breed.

Thank you
June
User avatar
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 5692
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:05 pm
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2
Location: Ct, USA

Re: Greetings from the Northwest

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Hi June !

Welcome to the boards. Can you please create a signature for us. Thanks.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Rob C
Puppy
Posts: 48
Joined: Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:20 pm
Tell us about yourself: I live in Washington state, and I'm just trying to find out about the Dutch Shepherd breed and thought this might be a good place to start.

Re: Greetings from the Northwest

Post by Rob C »

Hi Jenny.

Thank you very much for the information. I'll definitely look in to it. I just figured it's better to be patient and find what I'm really looking for than just being impulsive and jumping right in to it. Thanks :)
Rob C
Vancouver, WA
Tribe of 5
Just Whelped
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:32 am
Tell us about yourself: Have two rescue dogs and two rescue cats. Love herding breeds.

Re: Greetings from the Northwest

Post by Tribe of 5 »

Happy Thanksgiving to all. Still in the process of helping Abby-Sophia to get used to the family. I will post a photo soon. Now must get ready to dash. Headed out to spend the day with friends. I'm bringing scalloped oysters and asparagus with toasted pine nuts.

June, Holly-Anna, Abby-Sophia, Moxie Elizabeth, and Pixie Lee. I'm bi-species.
Post Reply