Page 1 of 1
Hello from Wyoming
Posted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:27 pm
by Ben_jamin
Hello All. I've been lurking through the forums for the past few days now and figured it was about time I introduced myself. I don't actually have a DS yet, that's mostly why I've been around here. I'm trying to learn as much as I can about them to decide if they are for me. And from everything I've seen, I feel almost completely confident that my next pup will be a Dutchie.
I've read through a lot of the forum and I have to say I am impressed with the amount of knowledge and devotion to the breed here. It's really refreshing to see. I look forward to learning a ton and *hopefully* drinking the DS Cool-Aid with the rest of you.

Re: Hello from Wyoming
Posted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:08 pm
by Karin
I never thought about it but it is sort of like drinking "the kook-aid".

Welcome. Where in Wyoming. I spent six years in Fort Collins and would wonder into WY from time to time.
Re: Hello from Wyoming
Posted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:49 pm
by Ben_jamin
I'm in Cheyenne. I actually lived in Fort Collins for a few years myself. Was a really nice town.
Re: Hello from Wyoming
Posted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:14 am
by LyonsFamily
Welcome! Hopefully you'll find lots of useful info here. What made you interested in a DS? It looks like you already have a good combo there to start with. The DS I have are much like a boxer's goofiness with the GSD's seriousness and loyalty and an extra few (ton) doses of crazy and high drive.
Re: Hello from Wyoming
Posted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:38 am
by Ben_jamin
It was actually kindof an imperfect storm that brought me to the idea of a Dutch Shepherd. Hopper (my GSD) developed epilepsy earlier this year and it's gotten progressively worse faster than I can believe. I've been on the verge of taking him to the vet to say farewell several times in the past couple of months because his quality of life seems to be dropping so fast. I know that there won't be a dog that's going to fill that hole but at the same time I don't want to leave it completely empty for long.
When I came to the realization that I've only had four years with Hopper and he's probably not going to be around for much longer, I decided to do a lot of research into the next dog I get. I love German Shepherds but they just seem to have so many health risks. I was researching mals and a few other breeds when I came across the DS.
Several other factors have brought me around to the DS as well but that's the main portion of it.
By the way, you just picked out my absolute favorite characteristics of both Phoebe and Hopper and put them all into one dog, with some extra crazy and drive for fun. Sounds perfect to me.
Re: Hello from Wyoming
Posted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:47 am
by LyonsFamily
Well you're on the right track now. The DS are quite a bit healthier than the GSD overall, but there are still some crappy breeders out there. Health tests on the parents should be mandatory for any breeder you consider. My male, Odin, was found on the streets in Chicago and it's thought he's from a "breeder" in the area that is breeding mals and DS without really caring about anything and constantly dumping dogs. He has the genetic form of lumbosacral stenosis and it's heartbreaking to see him struggle with things. He's very much that one in a million dog for me.
I had big plans for competing with him and we still train, but now I'm looking for sports that don't involve jumping or lots of running and can only go to venues where he can crate in the car.
Re: Hello from Wyoming
Posted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:11 am
by Ben_jamin
That's horrible. I'm sorry to hear that you're boy is sick too. I know it's hard on all sides.
My wife always called me a "dog snob" when I said I wanted to do my research and spend a little more to get a dog from a reputable breeder. I think she's starting to understand my motivations now.
I know there's always a chance of these kind of health issues no matter which avenue is chosen, I just want to do everything I can to avoid having to go through this again.
Re: Hello from Wyoming
Posted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:52 pm
by Raven