Cooper might be a great tracking dog!
-
Carolinagirl
- Just Whelped
- Posts: 21
- Joined: Wed Dec 25, 2013 12:13 am
- Tell us about yourself: I just got a rough coated Dutch shepherd pup a few days ago and am looking forward to learning more about this great breed! I also have sheep,dexter cattle,two Anatolian shepherd livestock guardian dogs, an Amstaff (who is thrilled to finally have a friend to play with) and two elderly long coated chihuahuas.
Cooper might be a great tracking dog!
I have had my Rough coated Dutch Shepherd for about two weeks now. When we go for walks, we usually leave our drive and turn left because to the right are some really noisy dog. Well, yesterday, the dogs were inside so we turned right. He had never been that way before. As we made our way down this unfamiliar road, Cooper was on full alert. Tail up, ears up, walking fairly close to me even though he was on a 20' flexi leash. He was very interested in everything. We got to the end of the road and turned around. Cooper went to the end of his flexi, nose to the ground almost the whole way home. And when we got near our drive, he turned in on his own. I believe he was tracking his own scent back home! I have also observed him in the yard zig zagging, nose to the ground trying to pick up a scent of something. It was pretty cool to watch him do this.
Cindy from south Carolina
owner of a male Rough Coated Dutch Shepherd, Cooper
owner of a male Rough Coated Dutch Shepherd, Cooper
- LyonsFamily
- Training Dog
- Posts: 947
- Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:08 am
- Tell us about yourself: Odin 5 years
Elli 5 years - Location: Michigan
- Contact:
Re: Cooper might be a great tracking dog!
Awesome! Odin loves to track. He'd track all day if he could, he even got to assist with a trespass once and cleared the area. He loves nosework and hunting for antlers too. My dad is stealing him for morel mushroom hunting in the spring and bought us kits for deer blood tracking so he can take him hunting.
Elli on the other hand, couldn't care less. She gets bored easily and would rather play than go around sniffing things. She'll do nosework when she wants to, but is too handler focused for long searches. That's the main reason why I won't do IPO with her and I'm sticking with PSA.
Elli on the other hand, couldn't care less. She gets bored easily and would rather play than go around sniffing things. She'll do nosework when she wants to, but is too handler focused for long searches. That's the main reason why I won't do IPO with her and I'm sticking with PSA.
Stephanie
'Odin' NV PTA Odin of Another Kingdom RL1
'Elli' Drawing Our Own Constellations RL1 CGC CGCA
'Odin' NV PTA Odin of Another Kingdom RL1
'Elli' Drawing Our Own Constellations RL1 CGC CGCA
-
Carolinagirl
- Just Whelped
- Posts: 21
- Joined: Wed Dec 25, 2013 12:13 am
- Tell us about yourself: I just got a rough coated Dutch shepherd pup a few days ago and am looking forward to learning more about this great breed! I also have sheep,dexter cattle,two Anatolian shepherd livestock guardian dogs, an Amstaff (who is thrilled to finally have a friend to play with) and two elderly long coated chihuahuas.
Re: Cooper might be a great tracking dog!
Its going to be so interesting to find out more about this dog and his capabilities. He does not care much for a tennis ball. He will chase it, and sometimes bring it back, but not with huge amounts of enthusiasm. He obeys instantly (sit, recall, and down) if he knows there is a treat waiting, not so much if there isn't. He recalls great when he's on the flexi, and is well aware when he's loose and does not HAVE to listen. When he's loose and knows I have treats, when I call him he can't get to me fast enough and sits beautifully in front of me waiting for his treat. His normal dog food is a good enough treat...they do not have to be high value treats. We are starting obedience classes next week. I have had him two weeks and he catches on to things really fast. Quick to understand our routine. This boy is really impressing me.
Cindy from south Carolina
owner of a male Rough Coated Dutch Shepherd, Cooper
owner of a male Rough Coated Dutch Shepherd, Cooper
- HeatherH
- Green Dog
- Posts: 182
- Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:06 pm
- Tell us about yourself: My name is Heather. My husband and I are empty nesters in or mid 40. We bought a 8 wk old ds from a breeder. We got the name buy a new neighbor. I bought thr dog because we both just putvthe last of or 3 dogs down. I had a dalmatian before I met my husband 4 yeats ago. The love of my life. Iove dogs that are smart and full of energy. I lve hiking but need yhe push. I am just learning alot about the new little guy, but I need more info.
Re: Cooper might be a great tracking dog!
Awesome seems to be the word. Next time try hide and seek. I sometimes hide things to see if he can sniff it out. I also don't let him off the hook if it's high up he can climb. He also learned not to swarm me when I'm on rocks. He also knows the difference between his toys bones and food. He knows when I drive him up to the dog park or out of town. If we pass the exit he runs to the back of the van as if to say whoa you missed the exit it's back there.
Sometimes he takes off on my husband when he walks him. Usually when I walk him he doesn't stray more than a yard or 2.
One time when my husband walked him and Dutch took off. I wondered why the walk was so long. So when my husband came back with no dog I got dressed for the weather and went back to where they entered the conservation area, called him and he came out. He knew enough to go back to where he started and enough to wait and not leave the forest. I always stop him at the opening to put the leash on him. That's where I found him. My husband didn't understand why he just didn't come home. We’re 2 blocks away. I explained to him he knows or a least remembers where and when we take the leash off and on. Why do you think he wanders around he baseball diamond on the other side of the trail. He knows if he heads up the hill he's in trouble.
They more you push their limits it keeps them happy and content. Finding out your breeds talents and true nature will making them happy and satisfied. An unused talent could make the difference between a safe or destoyed pair of expensive shoes. At least that my experiance.
Heather
Heather
Sometimes he takes off on my husband when he walks him. Usually when I walk him he doesn't stray more than a yard or 2.
One time when my husband walked him and Dutch took off. I wondered why the walk was so long. So when my husband came back with no dog I got dressed for the weather and went back to where they entered the conservation area, called him and he came out. He knew enough to go back to where he started and enough to wait and not leave the forest. I always stop him at the opening to put the leash on him. That's where I found him. My husband didn't understand why he just didn't come home. We’re 2 blocks away. I explained to him he knows or a least remembers where and when we take the leash off and on. Why do you think he wanders around he baseball diamond on the other side of the trail. He knows if he heads up the hill he's in trouble.
They more you push their limits it keeps them happy and content. Finding out your breeds talents and true nature will making them happy and satisfied. An unused talent could make the difference between a safe or destoyed pair of expensive shoes. At least that my experiance.
Heather
Heather
Heather from Hamilton Ont.
Dutch- DS.
Pearl - cat
Dutch- DS.
Pearl - cat


Facebook page.