Page 1 of 1
Hello from North Carolina
Posted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:02 pm
by boicetrous
Hi Everyone!
My name is Carol and I'm from North Carolina. I'm excited to learn more about Dutch Shepherds as I'm new to the breed and this special guy just came into our lives. His name is Moonshine and he's 14 weeks old. What do you guys think? Dutchie?
We did get him from our local shelter and there was not very much information about him other than "he's a shepherd" and he was an owner surrender though they could not tell us why the owner had decided to give him up. Being with him I cannot fathom why someone would not want to be with him... he's such an AMAZING pup!
At any rate, that's just a little of his background. Looking forward to getting to know you guys and reading some of the treads.
Re: Hello from North Carolina
Posted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:03 pm
by boicetrous
Trying this photo thing again....

Re: Hello from North Carolina
Posted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:05 pm
by boicetrous
Re: Hello from North Carolina
Posted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:42 pm
by boicetrous
So, I'm doing pretty badly at adding an image despite reading the help thread. Can you tell I'm new to forums?
I'm trying this one as an attachement. Hoping that works because I really want to share a pic of Moonshine

Re: Hello from North Carolina
Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:41 pm
by DanLu5
Wow he's super cute. What an amazing dog! Welcome!
Re: Hello from North Carolina
Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:32 pm
by centrop67
Welcome. What a beautiful boy!
Re: Hello from North Carolina
Posted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:38 pm
by Stacy_R
welcome!! what a cutie!!
Re: Hello from North Carolina
Posted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:37 pm
by Raven
Hey, Carol...
Previous owners loss is certainly your gain. Thanks for taking in that cute pup.
There's a section for folks to post questions and pictures when they're curious if their dog might be a DS or have some DS in them. I know the photo posting takes some time getting used to, but posting pictures in that section with full front, standing full side, etc. is optimal. Take a peek in that section and see what you can do.
And welcome!
Re: Hello from North Carolina
Posted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:00 pm
by boicetrous
Oh thanks so much for the info! I totally am going to go hunt for that section!
I'm absolutely smitten with Moonshine. I've worked with dogs since I was a little girl and his quick wit, energy, and love-ability just surpasses any other dog I've ever worked with. I'm amazed daily at how quickly he learns. I have PTSD and suffer from really bad night terrors. In the short period of time we've had him he has learned to recognize when one is beginning, alerts my husband, and then proceeds to come on to the bed and lays on my chest. It helps me come around, control my breaking, and keeps me from panicking. In fact, I have been able to reduce the amount of anxiety medication I take in the morning which is awesome.
I'm working with a local trainer now and we are working with him on assistance task and the trainer is quite positive he will pass the required assessments for him to become a certified working dog.
It's just mind blowing how it all came together! Talk about meant to be!
Re: Hello from North Carolina
Posted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:32 pm
by Raven
How awesome is that?!!! Great story. Great pup. And so many great things ahead for all of you.

Re: Hello from North Carolina
Posted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:22 pm
by johninny
interesting - so great. a wise puppy who is probably worth listening to. you are both lucky to have found each other.
my first DS had a similar impact with me and my autism. he was so aware and did extraordinary things - allowing me to live a more normal life for the 12 years he was with me.
Re: Hello from North Carolina
Posted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:56 am
by boicetrous
John, that's so great! Both of my daughters have autism as well. My oldest daughter who is 8 has been having some difficulties at school and Moonshine and I have been meeting her at the bus stop in the afternoons. Most days this week she has been crying as soon as she walks off the bus (general frustrations) and walking home with him really helps calm her. Next week we are meeting with the supervisor of her applied behavioral analysis therapy to see how we can incorporate Moonshine into some of the new programs she's going to be starting. It's really exciting stuff!
Re: Hello from North Carolina
Posted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:50 am
by johninny
it sounds like Moonshine may have at lest 2 full-time jobs - at night with you and in waking hours with your daughter[s]. that should keep him satisfied and proud.
please let me know how things develop between your daughter and Moonshine.
my dog was with me 24 hours a day pretty much regardless of circumstances - restaurants, doctors and other professionals, concerts, etc., and, lucky for me, he quickly figured out my needs and shortcomings and filled in for me or guided me as appropriate. seems like an impossible dream now. but Moonshine's attention to your needs at night is a wildly positive start to your relationship.
Re: Hello from North Carolina
Posted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:35 am
by Stacy_R
Carol -
Where in NC are you?