Page 1 of 1

Hello From The Great Smoky Mountains USA

Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:56 pm
by falcara
Hello all!

I was very happy to find this forum for Dutch Shepherd fanciers. I've been researching rough coats as they certainly intrigue me! My family owned, bred & exhibited Irish Wolfhounds - a breed with a double, wiry coat - since the mid 1960s and I judge them as well. The rough DS is so appealing and the Dutch Shepherd work ethic is admirable. I am a new Belgian Laekenois owner and have discovered herding! We train several times a month and my young dog is coming along very well earning two herding titles recently.

I would appreciate any suggestions for more rough coat information i.e. history, temperament, herding capability, etc.

Many thanks and I'm glad to connect with DS people.

Diane Koontz Bresee
Walland, Tennessee USA "At the Gateway to the Great Smoky Mountains National Park"


"Falcarragh Irish Wolfhounds, est. 1965"
Breeders of BIS IWs and Group & Specialty Winning Bull Terriers
Proud Owners of Belgian Laekenois, Wandrlyn Roguish Reeler CGC HRD I-s HTAD I-s

Re: Hello From The Great Smoky Mountains USA

Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:38 pm
by vneerland
Welcome Diane,
What a wonderful place to live (smoky mountains) I am mildly jealous.
To be honest, there is little specific rough hair knowledge on this board, but we do have some members who know someone who may know someone. :lol: Hang in there, I am sure we can connect you with the sources that you are looking for.

Re: Hello From The Great Smoky Mountains USA

Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:14 pm
by GSDNanny
Welcome Diane! You will find that the participants on this forum are some of the most knowledgeable concerning Dutch Shepherds. They are always helpful and supportive. I hope your quest for your own DS intrigues you to join us here.

Yes, the Smokies are indeed beautiful!

Re: Hello From The Great Smoky Mountains USA

Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:56 pm
by Dutchringgirl
Welcome! The rough coated DS are defiantly interesting, Post some pictures of your babies!

Re: Hello From The Great Smoky Mountains USA

Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:05 am
by Raven
Warm greetings to you and your little lump of Sugar. Love the "frog legs" she still has in the photo you posted in another section.

While someone may be mildly jealous of where you live, I am wildly jealous. I go to your area every few years for work (in the fall, no less!) and can never get enough of the beauty and the hospitality. Going there again in November...you'll know me as the Yank waving when I get there. :lol:

Re: Hello From The Great Smoky Mountains USA

Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:18 am
by Raven
Apologies, Diane. You didn't post the picture to which I referred.... :oops:

Re: Hello From The Great Smoky Mountains USA

Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:12 pm
by leih merigian
Welcome, Diane!

Can't help you a whit regarding your specific interest, but glad you found us, and hope someone comes along who can give you the info you're seeking :wtg:

Re: Hello From The Great Smoky Mountains USA

Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:39 pm
by Marjolein
Welcome, I'll try and send some wire-haired lovers to this topic :dswink"

Re: Hello From The Great Smoky Mountains USA

Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:15 pm
by falcara
Thanks everyone for your warm welcome!!!! I appreciate your responses.

Three questions that keep popping up in my head about roughs are 1) How do roughs occur i.e. do both parents have to be roughs to produce rough puppies? 2) Are there any rough owners out there that train and trial in herding? and 3) Are there any temperament differences within coat types? All basic stuff, but inquiring minds want to know. Also if there are definitive breed books out there I should own, please let me know.

Thanks again,

Diane Koontz Bresee
Walland, TN

Re: Hello From The Great Smoky Mountains USA

Posted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:22 am
by Beechtree
falcara wrote:Thanks everyone for your warm welcome!!!! I appreciate your responses.

Three questions that keep popping up in my head about roughs are 1) How do roughs occur i.e. do both parents have to be roughs to produce rough puppies? 2) Are there any rough owners out there that train and trial in herding? and 3) Are there any temperament differences within coat types? All basic stuff, but inquiring minds want to know. Also if there are definitive breed books out there I should own, please let me know.

Thanks again,

Diane Koontz Bresee
Walland, TN
Hello Diane,
I just happened to sign-in this evening after working on a blog for a new organization. It is the Dutch Shepherd Club of North America, aka DSCNA. We are a group of folks here in the States that own FCI registered imports or their progeny encompassing all three coat varieties of the Hollandse Herder. The blog is still in the building stage but it already has some really great photos of the 3 coat types, the FCI breed standard, and we have links to USA owners/ breeders of all 3 types, as well as to Dutch Shepherd breed clubs in other countries.
You can find it at: http://www.dscna.blogspot.com.
The offical website is also in the works but not 'live' yet.
I know of a Longhaired litter that is due near the end of this month down your way in North Carolina, and also plans for two USA RoughHaired litters this summer as well. We also have a facebook page that has over 100 'friends' from across the globe who are very knowledgeable about the Hollandse Herders and the 3 types. Seach for that under the fb heading of 'Long Haired Dutch Shepherd' . I know it says longhaired, but we have 'friends' that own all 3 types.

I too was a 'Belgian' owner for many years, and when I was looking for a new companion dog, I decided to go with the DS aka HH . I am delighted with my year old Longhaired bitch 'Raven' and my new import 'Ceska'. I also have sheep, but I am clueless on where to begin to train the 'girls' for herding, a corn can works great for my sheep. :-)

Re: Hello From The Great Smoky Mountains USA

Posted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:49 am
by Dutchringgirl
falcara wrote:Thanks everyone for your warm welcome!!!! I appreciate your responses.

Three questions that keep popping up in my head about roughs are 1) How do roughs occur i.e. do both parents have to be roughs to produce rough puppies? 2) Are there any rough owners out there that train and trial in herding? and 3) Are there any temperament differences within coat types? All basic stuff, but inquiring minds want to know. Also if there are definitive breed books out there I should own, please let me know.

Thanks again,

Diane Koontz Bresee
Walland, TN
I would imagine if you used too much sand paper while grooming, that would create the rough coat. I buff Thalie daily with some nice Maguires....... Oh wait,,, dog hair?? :dsshock: :dsshock:

sorry , just had to throw that in

Re: Hello From The Great Smoky Mountains USA

Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:32 pm
by falcara
Wow! Many thanks Brenda. The blogspot link is such a great resource. I will refer to it and check the Facebook page often. You all have been so responsive and I appreciate it!!!! I also visited your website and saw your gorgeous sheep. We are getting 5 school sheep shortly to hone our (mainly mine as I am a perpetual novice) herding skills. We regularly train with Nancy Obermark in Olive Branch, MS (greater Memphis area).

And Lisa, you're too much! You brightened my day.

Diane Koontz Bresee in (snowy) East TN

Re: Hello From The Great Smoky Mountains USA

Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:23 pm
by Christie M
Diane,

We have a wire haired that trains with our protection club. They are wonderful people in the Knoxville area. If you drive all the way from East TN to Memphis then you probably go right by me in Cookeville. I would love to meet up. I have only short haired dogs, but they are lovable!!!

Re: Hello From The Great Smoky Mountains USA

Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:05 am
by falcara
Hi Christie!

I pass by Cookeville regularly. Small world if a wire haired DS lives around Knoxville! I'm about 16 miles south of Knoxville. I'd love to meet your dogs sometime in the future!!!!

BTW there will be a Nancy Obermark Herding Workshop at our place May 7 & 8th if anyone is interested in training. I will post the contact info on this forum under the herding heading later.

Thanks Christie! It was great to hear from a TN DS owner!

Diane Bresee
Walland, TN

Re: Hello From The Great Smoky Mountains USA

Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:03 am
by cake73
There are a couple of folks with rough-haired DS that submit photos for consideration in the NADSR calendar.
Carol Day submitted photos of a litter for the 2011 calendar (http://www.ruff-daykennels.blogspot.com/).
Anita Arnold of Ranchodutchie (http://ranchodutchie.com/home) has also submitted photos. They're in PA.

Not sure this is helpful info.

Re: Hello From The Great Smoky Mountains USA

Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:50 pm
by falcara
Thanks Cheryl! Yes, this it's very helpful info. The more I see, the more I learn. I appreciate you taking the time to reply!

Diane Bresee
Walland, TN

Re: Hello From The Great Smoky Mountains USA

Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:17 pm
by Christie M
cake73 wrote:There are a couple of folks with rough-haired DS that submit photos for consideration in the NADSR calendar.
Carol Day submitted photos of a litter for the 2011 calendar (http://www.ruff-daykennels.blogspot.com/).
Anita Arnold of Ranchodutchie (http://ranchodutchie.com/home) has also submitted photos. They're in PA.

Not sure this is helpful info.
Actually, Carol is the breeder of the dog in our club :D