Page 1 of 1

Hello from Toronto,Ontario

Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:10 pm
by Choochi
I have a 4yr old Corso named Haus. I got him when he was just under a year when his previous owners no longer wanted him. He actually picked me, came running up to me from across the road. His previous owner's elderly neighbour took him in when she learned they were about to take him to the shelter, although she was completely unable to take care of him (never mind walk him). He was an untrained jack ass, although sweet at heart. We did have some issues to work through, but the hard work did pay off and he has grown into an amazing dog. We always trained by ourselves (partially due to his issues) but as of just over a year ago we have been expanding our horizons. Haus earned his HIC (herding instinct certificate) last winter, we then joined a local Schh club and in May he earned his BH, followed by a CGN this summer. We have also trained in flyball, agility, rally-o, and did some dock diving. We are currently working on obtaining a SchH1.

Image
Earning his HIC
Image
Just chillin in the shade
Image
Dock diving
Image
Training for our BH, sit from long down
Image
Passing our BH on a cold windy spring day

I wanted to get a second dog for training and sport, it was down to a mal or dutchie. It ended up being a dutchie, no particular reason other then I liked the breeding. I picked up my new little girl from Virginia just after Christmas. Her name is Ripp, she came from Fenrir K9.
Her mom is Mosenthal's Digit Van Oranjemoed,a mondio dog from Germany ( http://www.bloedlijnen.nl/netscape/form ... p?ID=10712 ).
Her dad is Carlos Vos ( http://www.bloedlijnen.nl/netscape/form ... p?ID=11073 )
She's currently mostly getting used to the world and having fun, but I'm hoping to do French Ring with her, and any of the other misc sports I do with Haus.

Image

Image

Image
This is her going through a dumb looking floppy ear stage

Image
Most recent pic of her at just under 4mo.

She is just over 4mo old now and I have to say I am blown away by how easy of a dog she is. Looking for a serious working dog I was expecting all hell to break loose when we would get her, but except for the occasional bouts of energy she is very laid back, very polite, super loving and very affectionate, she's borderline lazy (at least in comparison to what I was expecting from a working dog). She does have a nice edge to her and can get quite pissy when frustrated but that's by far not a dominant trait in her personality. She's also ridiculously intelligent and picks up any training I throw at her super fast. She was pretty much fully house trained by the time she was maybe 10/12 wks, and would ask to go outside. I do a lot of shaping of behaviours with her (getting on obstacles, going through tunnels, ladders, wobble boards, heeling, basic positions) she picks every thing up super fast.

My biggest issue with her at this point is that she's very sound sensitive, and her response to most new things is fear. She still runs and hides if I turn on the hair dryer, which is quite annoying. Lots of things freaked her out at first but she has gradually been getting over her fears. There are times during training she hears another dog bark and just freezes (she used to run and hide before so that's already progress). She certainly isn't the hard ass dog I was looking for, but for now we're waiting her out and giving her a chance to mature.

Re: Hello from Toronto,Ontario

Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:23 pm
by Christie M
Hey there,

Welcome to the group. I knew of the breeding and was pretty intrigued by it at the time. I am anxious to hear how it turns out for you. Sounds like you are obviously doing everything right!!

Is there allot of FR work up there? I wish we had more here in TN. I do primarily PSA, but am hoping my working dogs will do Schutzhund as well. I recently had someone contact me from Ont with a very fractious DS. They were asking me for recommendations for trainers because every person they had talked to turned them down because they didn't work with aggression. Any suggestions by chance?

Re: Hello from Toronto,Ontario

Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:09 pm
by Choochi
Do you know where in Ontario? O is pretty big.
I know a few people who would be more then capable to help but that won't do any good if they're too far for this person.

FR used to be big on Ont but it's not very prevent now. Closest established club to me is Ottawa about 4h away. There are a few people interested in doing FR at my club and we are gradually working to put together an actual FR club at our place. We currently have one member training FR already (our club does mainly sch but also knpv and FR). There are quite a few Sch clubs around here.

We will be hosting a PSA seminar this spring, a first for Canada. I'm really looking forward to that.I know a few people down south who train PSA and I find it very interesting. Who knows maybe I will get into thT with Ripp instead of FR? That is if she's capable of doing any of the it'd sports, only time will tell :(

Re: Hello from Toronto,Ontario

Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:43 pm
by Dutchringgirl
Welcome, beautiful dogs! I used to do Ring with my Malinois and my DS.

Re: Hello from Toronto,Ontario

Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:24 pm
by Marjolein
Welcome, nice looking pup, Rocky blood I see, where there any blue brothers and sisters? :dssmile: I LOVE blue's :dssmile:

Re: Hello from Toronto,Ontario

Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:47 am
by Lavish
Hi!
Good to see another Torontonian here :D your Dutch and your Corso are lovely.

Re: Hello from Toronto,Ontario

Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:39 pm
by Kristie E
She is absolutely beautiful!!!!

Re: Hello from Toronto,Ontario

Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:04 pm
by vneerland
Welcome to you and your very cute pup. 8-)

Re: Hello from Toronto,Ontario

Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:27 pm
by leih merigian
Glad you joined us...Ripp is just precious!