Page 1 of 1
Handler in NC
Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:41 am
by Iron Mike
Hello everyone. My name is Mike. I have never owned a Dutch. I currently work in the mountains of NC as a handler in a small town. I currently have a lab "passive alert" and he is an amazing partner but has some health issues that may prevent him from a long career. I am considering purchasing a green DS and training it so that I can have an ample replacement in the event that my dog expires prematurely. I honestly don't know enough about this breed and would not want to make a poor selection. What I have read that interested me so far is that this dog has not been as exploided and overbred as other famous working dog breeds. I also observed my first DS at certification this year and was impressed with the dogs disposition and unique appearance. Any guidance would be appreciated.
Re: Handler in NC
Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:22 pm
by icvanstra
Welcome to the group.
Take a look around. There is everything from working dogs to pet dogs on here and even working pet dogs that like to be petted...

Re: Handler in NC
Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:30 pm
by Iron Mike
Nothing wrong with that. Happy dogs work the hardest.
Re: Handler in NC
Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:32 pm
by Marjolein
Welcome

Re: Handler in NC
Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:45 pm
by leih merigian
Hi Mike, and welcome!
I have a 10 month old DS, and we're training in K9 Nosework, and also do lots of other kinds of scenting exercises and play.
She loves this stuff and excells at it. She'll work as long as I'll let her, too, without losing interest or passion for the search.
There's a lot of info here, as well as some true breed experts, so check things out and ask questions...
Re: Handler in NC
Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:52 pm
by GSDNanny
icvanstra wrote:Welcome to the group.
Take a look around. There is everything from working dogs to pet dogs on here and even working pet dogs that like to be petted...

Now that is funny, Eric!
Welcome Mike! You have come to the right place as there is an abundance of knowledge on the DS breed here by those very willing to share that expertise. But beware, the Dutch Shepherd is very addicting!
Re: Handler in NC
Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:42 pm
by Christie M
Welcome to the group! DS are not that different from GSD or mal when they work. The difference comes in when you take them home - hopefully. Where in NC are you? We are in Tn and always welcome company!!
Re: Handler in NC
Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:05 pm
by Kristie E
Welcome to the group. These stripey dogs are very addicting!! We live in Michigan and are planning on moving to NC in a few years... :dswink"
Re: Handler in NC
Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:06 pm
by Iron Mike
Well NC has pretty amazing scenery. I live in the mountains and the community could stand to be a little more dog friendly but the terrain and climate is awesome for training. Lots of park land for tracking scenarios and such. I haven't actually seen a single dutchee here so maybe I will break the ice. It is a cool feeling to be networking with people who appreciate the doglife as much as me.
Re: Handler in NC
Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:23 pm
by Kristie E
I lived in Jacksonville for a brief amount of time I loved the ocean but my husband wants to live in the mountains. It doesn't matter to me really, I ll be happy to move to somewhere that isn't winter for most of the year...
