Is my dog a Dutch Sheperd?

For our new members to introduce themselves
Dognouveau
Just Whelped
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:00 pm
Tell us about yourself: Trying my best to raise a well adjusted rescue pup!
Bentley is 12 months old, we're trying to identify his breed to learn more about him.

Is my dog a Dutch Sheperd?

Post by Dognouveau »

Hello!

We rescued our dog in January and are just loving the little guy! He's working through issues, but doing pretty well with most things.

Anyway, we had always been told that he was a german sheperd /whippet x . I had never seen a dutch sheperd and now I'm thinking that's what he is!

Two things that make me wonder if he's mixed with whippet 1.floppiest of ears 2. he's only about 40lbs.

What does everyone think?

Image
Image
Image
Bentley's Mom
User avatar
Kristie E
Training Dog
Posts: 321
Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:09 am
Tell us about yourself: I have had a DS for almost a year. Gwen and I are considering participating in PSA and or possible Ring Sport. I also have a Great Dane. I have grown up around working GSDs and my last GSD was a working K9 officer. I am all about dogs and animals in general and want to learn as much as I can about training.

Re: Is my dog a Dutch Sheperd?

Post by Kristie E »

I'd have to say yes at least except for the ears... !! Welcome!
Kristie
Rommel's Guenhyvar (Gwenice the Menace) BH, PSA PDC sleeve
Dognouveau
Just Whelped
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:00 pm
Tell us about yourself: Trying my best to raise a well adjusted rescue pup!
Bentley is 12 months old, we're trying to identify his breed to learn more about him.

Re: Is my dog a Dutch Sheperd?

Post by Dognouveau »

Thanks Kristie! Everything I've read says they typically weigh about 60-65 lbs, so that threw me too.
He's a very hyper boy despite about 2 hours a day of exercise, and was quite mouthy when we got him, he's getting better, ....slowly. :)
Bentley's Mom
User avatar
Breaking Bombs
Puppy
Posts: 29
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:12 am
Tell us about yourself: I am a dutch shepherd and doberman enthusiast and will hopefully be adopting my first Dutch this week from NADSR. I don't have any dogs yet, but hope to have one of each soon

Re: Is my dog a Dutch Sheperd?

Post by Breaking Bombs »

Any idea how old he may be? He could have some growing to do. Also, could be why his ears aren't up if he is still really young.

I would venture that he is at least DS/X. He does have the color, the mask, and the tail that make me think DS
Nick
Dognouveau
Just Whelped
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:00 pm
Tell us about yourself: Trying my best to raise a well adjusted rescue pup!
Bentley is 12 months old, we're trying to identify his breed to learn more about him.

Re: Is my dog a Dutch Sheperd?

Post by Dognouveau »

Hi Nick, he is about 12 months old, do they continue to grow after that age?

Thanks!
Bentley's Mom
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 1608
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:19 am
Tell us about yourself: .

Re: Is my dog a Dutch Sheperd?

Post by Raven »

Check out the thread "Growth and Age" under the "Whatever" category. Oh--and welcome! And thanks for giving a dog another chance by adopting. :D
Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~
Dognouveau
Just Whelped
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:00 pm
Tell us about yourself: Trying my best to raise a well adjusted rescue pup!
Bentley is 12 months old, we're trying to identify his breed to learn more about him.

Re: Is my dog a Dutch Sheperd?

Post by Dognouveau »

Hi Sharon,

That was a big help, I am going to investigate his size further on that thread. I appreciate the kudos on adopting, Thanks!
Bentley's Mom
User avatar
k9katet
Training Dog
Posts: 443
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:04 pm
Tell us about yourself: We current own 1 Dutch Shepherd - ThunderHawk's Child of Lilith "Mazikeen"
And we have loved and lost 3 - Vrijheid's Amie "Vada", Vrijheid's Hafwen "Letty" and Sather's High On Life "Narcotic".
We train/compete in mondioring and agility.
Location: Minnesota
Contact:

Re: Is my dog a Dutch Sheperd?

Post by k9katet »

He is adorable!
Heather Sather & Mazikeen
http://www.k9katet.com
Dognouveau
Just Whelped
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:00 pm
Tell us about yourself: Trying my best to raise a well adjusted rescue pup!
Bentley is 12 months old, we're trying to identify his breed to learn more about him.

Re: Is my dog a Dutch Sheperd?

Post by Dognouveau »

Thanks Heather!
Bentley's Mom
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 1608
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:19 am
Tell us about yourself: .

Re: Is my dog a Dutch Sheperd?

Post by Raven »

You will be asked to create a signature for yourself so that everyone can call you by name and know who you are. Just thought I'd mention that.

I can no longer view recently added photos to this forum since I upgraded to Explorer 9, but I sure would love to see your new baby.
Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~
User avatar
Christie M
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 1279
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:03 pm
Tell us about yourself: Love my striped beasts.

Re: Is my dog a Dutch Sheperd?

Post by Christie M »

HA - Sharon beat me to the punch!!

I was posting "please visit the user control panel and create a signature with your full name...." HAHA. Thank you Sharon!!

Also, I wanted to say welcome to the forum! I am in the minority, because I don't think that your kid is a Dutch Shepherd. He is an awfully handsome guy! But his size and build are not quit completely fitting. He could be a Dutch Shepherd mix, but I can also see where someone would say Whippet mix - or he could be a combination or of two mixed breeds.

Either way, we are happy to have you and would love to hear how you came to acquire him! As I said, he is cute as can be! I bet he would be an agility fool!!!
Christie Meyer
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com

Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
Dognouveau
Just Whelped
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:00 pm
Tell us about yourself: Trying my best to raise a well adjusted rescue pup!
Bentley is 12 months old, we're trying to identify his breed to learn more about him.

Re: Is my dog a Dutch Sheperd?

Post by Dognouveau »

Hi Christie,

Thanks, I added a bit more information.

I can't wait to try the little man at agility, he's amazing to watch run! I'm a member of a whippet cross forum too, and it doesn't seem like individuals there have the same personality traits as Bentley, I've found more pictures that look like him here and more personality traits that are similar. He's such a smart little guy, maybe he just THINKS he's a dutch sheperd :)
Bentley's Mom
User avatar
icvanstra
Working Dog
Posts: 1153
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:33 am
Tell us about yourself: .
Location: Broad Ripple - the coolest part of Indianapolis - sometimes Amersfoort

Re: Is my dog a Dutch Sheperd?

Post by icvanstra »

I'm no expert ... but based on the photo's alone, I would have to say a mix breed.
Eric
  • - Cino vom Foxtal
    - Abigail NORML de Weijer (over the bridge)
    - Hannah the DS wanna be (over the bridge)
User avatar
dutchringdog
Green Dog
Posts: 117
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:41 am
Tell us about yourself: I am a single mom with two great children and a lovely DS

Re: Is my dog a Dutch Sheperd?

Post by dutchringdog »

my first thought was a Pitt Mix because of all of the white, but his head is nice and not blocky. He is small for a 1yo too. But none the less he is adorable!!!!
Lisa , Thalie, Sadie
Image
http://www.designsbyclyne.com
leih merigian
Working Dog
Posts: 1960
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:20 pm
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Re: Is my dog a Dutch Sheperd?

Post by leih merigian »

Welcome!

He's a doll, whatever he is!
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
Dognouveau
Just Whelped
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:00 pm
Tell us about yourself: Trying my best to raise a well adjusted rescue pup!
Bentley is 12 months old, we're trying to identify his breed to learn more about him.

Re: Is my dog a Dutch Sheperd?

Post by Dognouveau »

A lot of people thought have thought pitt mix, but come to the same conclusion about his head. He's not blocky enough in person.

Here are some more pics, I really see it in the face, I've never seen a dog or mix that has a face like this until I saw Dutchies. I love him whatever mix he is, but the more info, the better! Think whippet/DS x? Or GSD mix? I love your ideas!

Image
Image
Image
We've put weight on him since this photo:
Image
Younger picture from rescue:
Image
Chest has widened it seems to me:
Image
Image
Image
Bentley's Mom
User avatar
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 5692
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:05 pm
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2
Location: Ct, USA

Re: Is my dog a Dutch Sheperd?

Post by Dutchringgirl »

he is so cute!!!!! I love the sleeping picture,
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Dognouveau
Just Whelped
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:00 pm
Tell us about yourself: Trying my best to raise a well adjusted rescue pup!
Bentley is 12 months old, we're trying to identify his breed to learn more about him.

Re: Is my dog a Dutch Sheperd?

Post by Dognouveau »

Thank you! I love you little pups too!
Bentley's Mom
User avatar
Kristie E
Training Dog
Posts: 321
Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:09 am
Tell us about yourself: I have had a DS for almost a year. Gwen and I are considering participating in PSA and or possible Ring Sport. I also have a Great Dane. I have grown up around working GSDs and my last GSD was a working K9 officer. I am all about dogs and animals in general and want to learn as much as I can about training.

Re: Is my dog a Dutch Sheperd?

Post by Kristie E »

he is ridiculously cute!! I still say a DSx... something.. Gwen looked like whippet cross when her ears were still floppy... and she was still skinny and gangly..
Kristie
Rommel's Guenhyvar (Gwenice the Menace) BH, PSA PDC sleeve
Dognouveau
Just Whelped
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:00 pm
Tell us about yourself: Trying my best to raise a well adjusted rescue pup!
Bentley is 12 months old, we're trying to identify his breed to learn more about him.

Re: Is my dog a Dutch Sheperd?

Post by Dognouveau »

Kristie- thanks for the info! His cuteness is what makes me keep him when he gets really mouthy :) . He's an excited little man. Today he found and ate some old dead fish at the pond. ... ick... he smelled so much he got a bath. But he enjoyed himself!
Bentley's Mom
Post Reply