Page 1 of 1
Prospective Dutch Shepherd Owner
Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:44 am
by nachosyumm
My name is Josh and I'm a prospective Dutch Shepherd owner. I love smart dogs, and I think a Dutch Shepherd is ideal for me with their intelligence, stamina, and of course their beautiful coats! Although I have never owned my own dog, I have taken care of and trying to train my long term girlfriend's German Shepherd and worked with many of my friend's dogs as well. In addition I volunteer almost every day at an animal shelter back at home (I'm currently in Mammoth Lakes, CA). I've checked out NADSR, but I'm really interested in getting my first dog of my own as a puppy, especially so I can train from the start that my Gf's cat is not prey! (I think it is though, and maybe that would get her lazy cat moving

)
Anyways, that's me! I've been checking out breeders in America and Canada, but I really haven't seen too much, is their a secret to finding a good one that I'm not aware of?
Re: Prospective Dutch Shepherd Owner
Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:52 pm
by leih merigian
Hi Josh, and welcome!
What kinds of things do you plan to do with your potential DS?

Do you have specific sports and/or activities in mind?
I'm with you on prefering to start with a blank slate. My own blank slate DS is 10 months old now

.
Re: Prospective Dutch Shepherd Owner
Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:15 pm
by Kristie E
Welcome! there are a lot of good breeders out there (and many on this forum!).... Good luck finding your pup!
Re: Prospective Dutch Shepherd Owner
Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:45 pm
by Dutchringgirl
NADSR has puppies, I got my DS from them when she was 4 months old, she is almost 7 months old now and doing great!
Re: Prospective Dutch Shepherd Owner
Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:27 pm
by Marjolein
Welcome

Re: Prospective Dutch Shepherd Owner
Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:01 am
by nachosyumm
I was looking at training in search and rescue since it has always fascinated me and I would love to become a volunteer SAR dog handler =D
Where are these puppies on NADSR, i only see teenage and older dogs.
Re: Prospective Dutch Shepherd Owner
Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:57 am
by Christie M
nachosyumm wrote:I was looking at training in search and rescue since it has always fascinated me and I would love to become a volunteer SAR dog handler =D
Where are these puppies on NADSR, i only see teenage and older dogs.
NADSR doesn't always have puppies

We do sometimes get in youngsters or litters that breeders are not able to place. Depending on age, I do know of 2 10 month olds in CT that are looking for great homes. They are out of working lines but haven't been exposed to much as of yet. They are a private adoption. Let me know if you would like more info!!!
Re: Prospective Dutch Shepherd Owner
Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:12 pm
by vneerland
Welcome Josh. I LOVE your signature, since I always love a good sense of humor.

Re: Prospective Dutch Shepherd Owner
Posted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:01 am
by nachosyumm
vneerland wrote:Welcome Josh. I LOVE your signature, since I always love a good sense of humor.

haha, thanks, that was the best one i could think of
Does anyone have experience with doing search and rescue or avalanche rescue with a dutch shepherd?
Re: Prospective Dutch Shepherd Owner
Posted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:39 pm
by Marjolein
nachosyumm wrote:vneerland wrote:Welcome Josh. I LOVE your signature, since I always love a good sense of humor.

haha, thanks, that was the best one i could think of
Does anyone have experience with doing search and rescue or avalanche rescue with a dutch shepherd?
I have, it suits them really well :dswink"
Re: Prospective Dutch Shepherd Owner
Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:16 pm
by vneerland
Marjolein wrote:nachosyumm wrote:Does anyone have experience with doing search and rescue or avalanche rescue with a dutch shepherd?
I have, it suits them really well :dswink"
Really? Can they successfully carry that vat of rum around their necks, like the StBernards do?
(Come on Marjo. Just the fact that you walked upon a mountainous snow bank with a brindle, does not make it a working avalanche dog)
(just teasing, for those who don't know my warped sense of humor)
Re: Prospective Dutch Shepherd Owner
Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:28 pm
by Marjolein
Dingo actually would be able to carry large amounts of liqour with him, yes

Of course, as of now he has strict instructions to NOT give it to a snow-drowned Dutch girl from Texas with a funny limbo accent

Re: Prospective Dutch Shepherd Owner
Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:40 am
by vneerland

You will most likely not find me under an avalanche anyway. More likely under the debris of the remains of my home, post tornado.

(Still reeling from the storms that hit the south the past two days. They started west of Dallas on Tuesday night, and we did get rough weather and close tornado strikes from it, but thank God nothing like the poor people in Alabama, Mississippi, Tennessee and Georgia)
Re: Prospective Dutch Shepherd Owner
Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:45 pm
by Marjolein
vneerland wrote:
You will most likely not find me under an avalanche anyway. More likely under the debris of the remains of my home, post tornado.

(Still reeling from the storms that hit the south the past two days. They started west of Dallas on Tuesday night, and we did get rough weather and close tornado strikes from it, but thank God nothing like the poor people in Alabama, Mississippi, Tennessee and Georgia)
Heard about that, must be terrifying to be in a storm like that
