Hello from California
-
NightRider1015
- Just Whelped
- Posts: 4
- Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:09 am
- Tell us about yourself: Police Officer in California. Have a English Yellow Lab named Luke.
Hello from California
First off, let me just say that I really enjoyed reading some of the posts on this site. I do not (YET) have a Dutch Sheperd but I am interested in the breed. I am a Police Officer here in California and I am interested in getting a DS and working with it, in hopes of maybe turning him into a service dog. I am very similiar with dogs and have an English Yellow Lab that is part of my family. He is a big boy, weighing close to 100lbs but is very gentle with my kids. I don't know much about DS's, besides what I have read on this site and internet, but can honesly say I'm really excited at the chance of owning one. Can someone tell me where I can start? Any good breeders here in Southern California?? Thanks,
Zack
Zack
-
NightRider1015
- Just Whelped
- Posts: 4
- Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:09 am
- Tell us about yourself: Police Officer in California. Have a English Yellow Lab named Luke.
Re: Hello from California
By the way, sorry for the spelling issue. I'm trying to type on my crackberry.
-
leih merigian
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1960
- Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:20 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.
Re: Hello from California
Hey Zack, Welcome!
So, what kind of service dog would you have in mind for your DS, potentially?
My 10 month old is doing great along these lines (it's just one of her many jobs
). She'll throw stuff out in the trash for me, pick up anything I drop and hand it to me, put something in the laundry basket, and for those things I don't want her to actually pick up (when I drop a pill, for example), she'll find it and indicate where it is with her nose ("show me!"). OK, sometimes the pill gets a little wet
...we're still working on this one, but for a puppy, she's doing just great in these assistance areas.
I don't know any breeders in your area, tho there are several who are members of this site. I got my puppy from Utah (I'm in VA), and had no trouble with the whole shipping thing, with the only downside being not having the opportunity to meet the litter. So, you may not want to limit yourself to breeders in your area.
Glad you found us.
So, what kind of service dog would you have in mind for your DS, potentially?
My 10 month old is doing great along these lines (it's just one of her many jobs
I don't know any breeders in your area, tho there are several who are members of this site. I got my puppy from Utah (I'm in VA), and had no trouble with the whole shipping thing, with the only downside being not having the opportunity to meet the litter. So, you may not want to limit yourself to breeders in your area.
Glad you found us.
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
- Kristie E
- Training Dog
- Posts: 321
- Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:09 am
- Tell us about yourself: I have had a DS for almost a year. Gwen and I are considering participating in PSA and or possible Ring Sport. I also have a Great Dane. I have grown up around working GSDs and my last GSD was a working K9 officer. I am all about dogs and animals in general and want to learn as much as I can about training.
Re: Hello from California
Hi Zack! Glad you found us... I'm sure we could all just go on and on about our DS's!! Probably makes other people quite ill especially non dog folks.
Gwen is starting protection work. I have been around GSDs my whole life and she is quite different, challenging, and VERY FUN! Gwen is my crack head. In fact I have to work on the above pill thing... since she ate my other dog's heart worm medicine after he dropped it yesterday.
I have fuzz brain right now and absolutely no voice which she is taking advantage of and so even if I could have thought to say leave it (which I didn't) it would have come out as a squeak anyway.
As for good responsible breeders there seems to be many to be found. Gwen came from Utah (before that Germany). I am not particularly fond of the flying thing but she seems to be just fine, I had planned on driving but things didn't work out that way. There are no breeders in Michigan that I would consider purchasing from so I had to look for pups out of state. You might want to see if the rescue has any pups available.
Gwen is starting protection work. I have been around GSDs my whole life and she is quite different, challenging, and VERY FUN! Gwen is my crack head. In fact I have to work on the above pill thing... since she ate my other dog's heart worm medicine after he dropped it yesterday.
As for good responsible breeders there seems to be many to be found. Gwen came from Utah (before that Germany). I am not particularly fond of the flying thing but she seems to be just fine, I had planned on driving but things didn't work out that way. There are no breeders in Michigan that I would consider purchasing from so I had to look for pups out of state. You might want to see if the rescue has any pups available.
Kristie
Rommel's Guenhyvar (Gwenice the Menace) BH, PSA PDC sleeve
Rommel's Guenhyvar (Gwenice the Menace) BH, PSA PDC sleeve
- k9katet
- Training Dog
- Posts: 443
- Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:04 pm
- Tell us about yourself: We current own 1 Dutch Shepherd - ThunderHawk's Child of Lilith "Mazikeen"
And we have loved and lost 3 - Vrijheid's Amie "Vada", Vrijheid's Hafwen "Letty" and Sather's High On Life "Narcotic".
We train/compete in mondioring and agility. - Location: Minnesota
- Contact:
Re: Hello from California
Leih - it's neat that you are teaching Geyser all those around the house jobs. I think that is a DS dream come true to be able to work all the time.
Heather Sather & Mazikeen
http://www.k9katet.com
http://www.k9katet.com
- vneerland
- Global Moderator

- Posts: 1547
- Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:10 pm
- Tell us about yourself: *
- Location: Tex@s
Re: Hello from California
Welcome Zack! I hope you find the information you are looking for. 
Judith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds 
-
leih merigian
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1960
- Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:20 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.
Re: Hello from California
Thanks, Heather.k9katet wrote:Leih - it's neat that you are teaching Geyser all those around the house jobs. I think that is a DS dream come true to be able to work all the time.
One thing that's wonderful about her is that she'll do these little tasks for free, too. She just seems happy to help (I know I'm anthropomorphizing here, but still...). My GSD much preferred to get paid for everything
To the OP: Much as I enjoy doing so, I wasn't detailing Geyser's experience to brag, but rather to demonstrate how well they can do at these service-type jobs (oh, sure....
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
- Marjolein
- Working Dog
- Posts: 2078
- Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:17 pm
- Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)
- Location: Warbeyen, Germany
- Contact:
-
NightRider1015
- Just Whelped
- Posts: 4
- Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:09 am
- Tell us about yourself: Police Officer in California. Have a English Yellow Lab named Luke.
Re: Hello from California
Thanks for the greetings and information. I have been researching a breeder in San Diego. I'll keep everyone updated.
- Christie M
- Global Moderator

- Posts: 1279
- Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:03 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Love my striped beasts.
Re: Hello from California
I didn't think you were bragging and I hope no one else does. You have accomplished a ton in a very short period of time.leih merigian wrote:Thanks, Heather.
One thing that's wonderful about her is that she'll do these little tasks for free, too. She just seems happy to help (I know I'm anthropomorphizing here, but still...). My GSD much preferred to get paid for everything. But Geyser? I drop something and she rushes to pick it up and give it to me. I love it!
To the OP: Much as I enjoy doing so, I wasn't detailing Geyser's experience to brag, but rather to demonstrate how well they can do at these service-type jobs (oh, sure....)
I do agree that they offer up the behaviors a ton. But just to play devil's advocate - do you think that she is quick to respond because completion of that task may result in the next one? Could he "pay" be the activity and interaction? Just not food? My dogs retrieve like crazy only because I'm gonna throw it again. I think I want that auto launcher!!! I think they would be just as attentive and attached to that
Christie Meyer
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com
Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com
Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
-
leih merigian
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1960
- Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:20 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.
Re: Hello from California
I do think there must be some payoff for her, even if it's simply my heartfelt thanks. I've been letting her out of her crate in the morning earlier and earlier (as opposed to waiting until I'll all done making the bed and stuff like that), and the other day, she immediately brought me a pen that had fallen on the floor in the kitchen. Now, she could have chosen instead to say, "OMG, a chew toy! Yay!" But she didn't; she picked it up and brought it to me.Christie M wrote: I do agree that they offer up the behaviors a ton. But just to play devil's advocate - do you think that she is quick to respond because completion of that task may result in the next one? Could he "pay" be the activity and interaction? Just not food? My dogs retrieve like crazy only because I'm gonna throw it again. I think I want that auto launcher!!! I think they would be just as attentive and attached to that
You bet she got some positive interaction out of that one
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
-
NightRider1015
- Just Whelped
- Posts: 4
- Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:09 am
- Tell us about yourself: Police Officer in California. Have a English Yellow Lab named Luke.
Re: Hello from California
I got thread jacked. 
- k9katet
- Training Dog
- Posts: 443
- Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:04 pm
- Tell us about yourself: We current own 1 Dutch Shepherd - ThunderHawk's Child of Lilith "Mazikeen"
And we have loved and lost 3 - Vrijheid's Amie "Vada", Vrijheid's Hafwen "Letty" and Sather's High On Life "Narcotic".
We train/compete in mondioring and agility. - Location: Minnesota
- Contact:
Re: Hello from California
It's very common on this board. 
Heather Sather & Mazikeen
http://www.k9katet.com
http://www.k9katet.com
- Marjolein
- Working Dog
- Posts: 2078
- Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:17 pm
- Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)
- Location: Warbeyen, Germany
- Contact:
Re: Hello from California
it's very common on all DS boards I'm on (4..k9katet wrote:It's very common on this board.



Facebook page.
