DNA Test

Wondering if that new friend you just brought home is a Dutch Shepherd? Post here.
Forum rules
Please read the first post: "Forum Rules and FAQ"
cordeliandemon
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: owner of a male Dutch Shepherd and female Alaskan Malamute

Re: DNA Test

Post by cordeliandemon »

Demons results were back, they don't seem to know exactly what a quarter of him is, terrier?! 😂
Attachments
Screenshot_20231130_221118_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20231130_221118_Facebook.jpg (1.17 MiB) Viewed 1497 times
Screenshot_20231130_221134_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20231130_221134_Facebook.jpg (670.4 KiB) Viewed 1497 times
Screenshot_20231130_221148_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20231130_221148_Facebook.jpg (1.06 MiB) Viewed 1497 times
Screenshot_20231130_215457_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20231130_215457_Chrome.jpg (169.95 KiB) Viewed 1497 times
Sadhbh (pronounced "Sive", its an irish name) -
Demon (dutch shepherd)
Koda (alaskan malamute)
Sidney (collie/springer spaniel)- R.I.P
cordeliandemon
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: owner of a male Dutch Shepherd and female Alaskan Malamute

Post by cordeliandemon »

Based on hondos embark results I can only assume demons big mal result from wisdom panel is probably dutch too, I do have his pedigree after all :duh:
Really goes to show how genetically similar the two breeds are :lol:

Edit: I've been told this is the old wisdom panel database and that his results will update to be more accurate soon, so I'll update again here when that happens :D
Demon (dutch shepherd)
Koda (alaskan malamute)
Joker
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: We are city folks turned country homesteaders on an 80ac
plot of land. Currently we raise chickens and pigs with plans to add goats and maybe a cattle one day. I am w/o a dog right now and doing research before getting my next 'hired hand' :)

Post by Joker »

I bought my daughter a DNA test kit for Christmas. Her rescue for sure has a strong GS in him but he also for sure has something else. I picked Wisdom since it was pretty popular here and had good reviews in the on-line world. No pics of him since she lives about 8hr south of me :)
cordeliandemon wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 12:06 am Edit: I've been told this is the old wisdom panel database and that his results will update to be more accurate soon, so I'll update again here when that happens :D
Do you need to buy a new kit as they release more breeds or just go view results again?
Erick
Mika the Velcro dog at my feet
https://www.youtube.com/@tlchomestead
cordeliandemon
Training Dog

Post by cordeliandemon »

Joker wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:12 pm Do you need to buy a new kit as they release more breeds or just go view results again?
It seems like you just go View the results again as long as the test is done after 2021 when they updated their algorithm!

I'm still waiting on demons to update, hopefully Monday or Tuesday
Demon (dutch shepherd)
Koda (alaskan malamute)
vulnerablegillette
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Im a teacher im mumbai city.

Post by vulnerablegillette »

Received an update from Wisdom regarding Boaz's test results. The test, designed to trace ancestry, has its limitations, particularly when dealing with rare breeds. In Boaz's case, the test hinged on genetic markers associated with both Malinois (Mals) and German Shepherds (GSDs) to infer a heavier Dutch Shepherd (DS) with consistent brindle markings in the short hair.

It seems the historical mix involving Mals and GSDs, particularly during a period when they transitioned from primarily being sheepdogs, created some complexities. The amalgamation with GSDs was apparently short-lived and somewhat disastrous. Wisdom honed in on the brindle aspect, claiming dominance and attributing it as the key factor.

However, despite clear input that Boaz's appearance aligns more with Dutch Shepherd traits, with a potential hint of Malinois, the results pointed in a different direction. The percentages provided, while interesting, may not always be a definitive indicator. It's acknowledged that personal beliefs may influence the acceptance of results.

Maintaining a steadfast conviction that Boaz exhibits characteristics synonymous with a Dutch Shepherd, there's a sense of skepticism toward the results. Boaz, in both appearance and behavior, continues to embody the qualities of a Dutchie. Open to insights or comments from anyone out there with thoughts or similar experiences. The quest for clarity and understanding about Boaz's lineage persists!
Explore top-notch fencing solutions with our trusted Fence. Enhance your property's security and aesthetics with our expert services today!