Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Enjoying my Dutch Shepherd and my Malinois

Re: Separation anxiety in 12 week old sos

Post by Tim91118 »

Very good Susannah
Tim
ladyjubilee
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Sharing life with Bramble Dutch Shepherd mix (?) and Casper Whippet/Pit Bull (????) mix

Post by ladyjubilee »

Actually, the calm down mat the way you are describing is the way a lot of folks in the US use the crate. I don't know how others introduce crates, but I've always started with the crate in the family room. Our dogs have always just gone in on their own. I give praise or a treat with the door open. They can go in and out on their own. Then after a few days, I close it for a few seconds, again with praise. If they lay down I start leaving the door closed for short periods. Within a week they have all just gone in. Like I mentioned, Bramble's door doesn't even close anymore. The zipper broke the 3rd day But that's where she goes every night when my son says night night.

But then dogs have more reason to need a retreat area in our house than most homes ;)

It sounds like the difference between your calm mat and our crates is the overhead cover.

How does it work when you stay in hotels or out of area? Where do dogs stay at the vet or when boarded?
Pack: Peanuts-terrier mix, 16-18 years old, Bramble-Dutch Shepherd, 3 yrs
Susannah
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: 29 year old nurse. 2 year old dutch shepherd at home and iguana.

Post by Susannah »

I see big difference. For examble, a calming mat is big, and, aint the same as we use training.

No praise here. When learned, command, dog stays and if successful training, he is calm, relaxed, can even sleep on his back while In the training Hall with other dogs.
Its like invisible fence.
Yes, i see its like a Cage, but, without a Cage. Would it be easier To get a mat with u, not the whole Cage?

Also, training method is different. No rewarding, no. Just command To stay there. If not, u put the dog back. There are none rewarding there, none. Its like grey zone.
If u praise or other, its reward. And reward is something that raises dogs energy lvl. So, u then teach the dog To get reward from calming down. No. He is waiting that then so whole Point goes naah.

Also, i dont get it. Dog goes To crate, lie down, u close the door. Aint reward, really...

Also, at home, mat area is area that no one go. So dog knows that if he wants To be solo, he goes there. Its safezone.

I see Cage training different, cause u close it. So u leave no choise.

If u wanna see, if he has learned it, Take the Cage mat and try, without bars. Cause sorry, but really, u dont need bars at all.

And for ur guestion, calming mat is with US when exbl hotels. Whell, at the vet we dont need any. He sits and waits, like my other dogs. Why do u need Cage for vet? There really are none dogs with cages waiting for a vet here, all are free.
No difference, or i dont get ur guestion right

Im really starting To think that Cage training In other countries do a lot. And i really, dont get it why. Dogs go fine without, its training guestion and as i read here, i get this that like everyone crates at least workday or night. Or both. And i see it is terrible really. My 9 week old puppy likes To play solo, so when i leave, he plays In the house all over and then goes To sleep. No destruction, no whining. He came 7 weeks old so i did lot of training.
But really no, i would never put him on Cage, he is fine free.
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

it depends on the dog. and there are saftey reasons to crate. With my Thalie, I never crated her for any reason. she would sleep and be fine all day. But as they get older, the separation anxiety will increase. we had also moved to a new house. I left her one day and when I came home, all of the windows were chewed as she was trying to get out to go with me, she could have broken the glass and cut her self and bled out. So I got a crate and she went in from then on when I left.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Susannah
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: 29 year old nurse. 2 year old dutch shepherd at home and iguana.

Post by Susannah »

This i understand, but law here, no

I have had dogs Who really, go through Doors.
There are broken Doors, glass, yeah. I have also put one dog To countrydog.

Still, no, crating