Lost Bandit to Gastric Torsion

AKBD1
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I had a 2 ½ year old male Dutch shepherd named Bandit. Now own Blaze a dutch shepherd mix or so I'm told. His mom is a dutch shepherd, his dad.....not so sure.

Lost Bandit to Gastric Torsion

Post by AKBD1 »

Hello everyone.

Absolutely devastated. On Monday afternoon I had to put Bandit down due to an extreme case of gastric torsion. Still very confused as to what happened. He was fed at about 8:00 in the morning. He showed no signs of any issues. He when for a walk with my wife about 4 hours later. On their way back home he laid down which was totally unlike him. She got him home and his abdomen was bloated. We immediately call looking for a vet that was open. He was seen by the vet by about 3:00 pm. Xray’s reveal his stomach was displaced and down near his hips. He was a mess inside. He was on the operating table sedated and the vet was drawing out blood from his mouth. This was difficult to see to say the least.

The vet said it was the worst case he had ever seen and the prognosis was very bad. I had to make the decision.

We were all extremely saddened by this. Bandit had matured into a fantastic dog over the last 6 months. We feel the emptiness and miss him very much.
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Re: Lost Bandit to Gastric Torsion

Post by centrop67 »

So sorry for your loss.
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

I am so sorry for your loss
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Cinci Wolf
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: 28 yo Engineer. I just purchased my first house last May and am looking to get my first dog. Had dogs growing up all my life (GS, Med Schnauzer, 2 Labs) and fell in love with the DS breed after being introduced by my cousin and his working K9 enter. They do airport security/cargo inspection.

Post by Cinci Wolf »

Super sorry to hear about your loss. Especially with as unexpected as it was. A few months ago we had to put our 14 yo lab down because he literally couldn't walk anymore and we knew that was coming and it was still heartbreak. Thoughts and prayers with your family especially at the holiday time.
Wolfgang
Just a guy looking for his buddy.
borellar15
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Living in Austin, Texas with our dogs Zoey(DS), Henry (DS) and Tripper(labX). In college, I worked as a Handler and Assistant Manager of a training and daycare facility for 3 years where I've handled many working dogs. For the past 2 years I have been training Zoey and Henry and we have made some tremendous progress together.

Post by borellar15 »

So sorry to hear that... sorry for your loss.
Image Image
Alex - Zoey(DS), Henry (DS), Tripper Lab mix. Austin, Texas
Wes Thomas
Green Dog
Tell us about yourself: I'm a first time DS owner... And now a lifetime owner of the breed. I have Karma.. she's almost 2 now and is incredible. Great protection dog for my family and the most athletic dog I've ever witnessed.

Post by Wes Thomas »

Very sorry for your loss. So sad to hear
AKBD1
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I had a 2 ½ year old male Dutch shepherd named Bandit. Now own Blaze a dutch shepherd mix or so I'm told. His mom is a dutch shepherd, his dad.....not so sure.

Post by AKBD1 »

Thank to everyone.

Our family truly appreciates your care and concern.

Thank you again.
ksylz
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: My pack consists of a GSD/Boxer mix, GSD/Coonhound/Lab mix, two cats now we are waiting on our third, a Dutch Shepherd!

Post by ksylz »

I’m so very sorry💔
Hawk’s Nest Pack Ksylz, Hawk, Freya, Otto, Monster and Binx