America's Top Dog Premieres Jan 8

Did you see a Dutch Shepherd somewhere? Out in public? On Television? In a movie?
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

America's Top Dog Premieres Jan 8

Post by centrop67 »

Show airs on January 8, 2020 at 9pm.

Last not on Live PD, they said it was a competition between professional (military/police) K-9s and privately owned K-9s.

How many Dutch Shepherds do you think will compete?
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
ladyjubilee
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Sharing life with Bramble Dutch Shepherd mix (?) and Casper Whippet/Pit Bull (????) mix

Re: America's Top Dog Premieres Jan 8

Post by ladyjubilee »

The preview seemed Mal and Dutch heavy :)
Pack: Peanuts-terrier mix, 16-18 years old, Bramble-Dutch Shepherd, 3 yrs
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin

America's Top Dog Premieres (Meh)

Post by centrop67 »

I watched the show last night, and I have to say that I am rather disappointed.

** Spoiler Alert ** for those who may have DVR'd it.

Despite, the disappointment, I will continue to watch. However, I do have several critiques...

First of all is the carnival atmosphere for what I expected (or hoped) would be a little more serious. WTF was the deal with the trainer eating broccoli stalks in the stands? Come on A&E, that was just downright dumb and had nothing to do with the competition. Are ABC and A&E affiliated? Basing the presentation on the old Wipeout show from ABC was annoying - to say the least.

The challenging nature of the courses themselves were probably the only positives I saw on the show - that and the dogs themselves. Each course exposed some weaknesses in the dogs and/or the handlers, but the winner was able to overcome them efficiently - Falco (Mal) was amazing.

Of course I was rooting for Duco (The Dutch Shepherd), but I think him and his handler were more nervous in the spotlight than incapable of doing the challenges. It looked a lot like Duco was exhausted in the first obstacle course, and that really surprised me. It takes a heck of a lot more to exhaust Radar for sure.

Speaking of Duco. I hope he doesn't have any pending narcotics alert cases. If I was a defense attorney, I'd be showing his scent course run in the trial. I think the professional LEOs would take some care in exposing potential scent problems of their K9s like this.

For as good as Falco was, Dax (GSD) was right there with him. In fact, if he had outed on first command, it's likely he would have won the final course and the competition. Which brings me to another problem: Falco was way better in the first two courses, but Dax could have won the whole thing with just the final course.

What about the civilian dog Maker (Border Collie)? I believe that he was awesome in the two agility courses, but was pretty bad in the scent course. I am not sure how well any of the civilian dogs will fare in this having to do scenting. I also saw in previews of upcoming shows that there is what looks like a french bulldog - how the heck is that dog getting over a 5' wall?

Finally, I don't think the exposure of the Mal and DS capabilities to the public without heavy warning is a good idea. Falco's appearance on Live PD after the show is on point. His handler warned the show's host that petting him was a bad idea.

Anyway, that is all just MY opinion. What is yours?
Michael
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
ladyjubilee
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Sharing life with Bramble Dutch Shepherd mix (?) and Casper Whippet/Pit Bull (????) mix

Post by ladyjubilee »

I thought Duco's issues were a team issue and not his nose. The comment about everything flowing down the leash seemed to be true. I saw their work in the Boneyard as more rushing against the clock instead of the normal care and time in the field. Let's face it, in a crowd like that it had to be nerve racking....and Dax and Falco's handlers, and the dogs, have had more time the spotlight.

I didn't get the broccoli thing either. At first, I thought they'd say something about dog nutrition. It was really strange.

I did wish they spent more time on the dogs, but maybe they will fine tune.
Amyaskinbeck
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: We live in California and currently have two dogs. Mallory is 9 and a rescue she is german shepherd/rottie. We also have a 10 month old german/Dutch that we got at the age of 4 weeks. He was abandoned and very sick. After 15 weeks of antibiotics and 2000 in vet bills he is our baby. He has passed the CGC certification and the Advanced CGC. He is currently doing protection training right next to our city’s finest canines. We never heard of the Dutch breed until our little Tucker came into our lives and we are so happy he has.

Post by Amyaskinbeck »

I was also disappointed. I know many of the dogs that will be featured on the show through social media. It felt like wipeout to me. Falco was awesome and Duco was a huge disappointment he looked exhausted right away. Maybe since he is SWAT he doesn’t have to do nose work. What the hell was the broccoli? That was incredibly stupid. In editing I would have cut that crap out makes it look d-list when it has so much potential.
ICE
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: I have a 12 week old dutch shepherd that my trainer got for me to train in schutzhund. This is my 1st dutch shepherd, I have always had german shepherds. Currently, I have 4 dogs.

Post by ICE »

I watched it last night. My major disappointment (other than the stupid broccoli thing) I felt that it would have been better if all the dogs could have done all the courses. I did not like the elimination after each course. I wanted to see all dogs do all courses. :-)
I didn't think Maker was so bad in the scent course - his handler was not reading him well at all. Probably nerves (handler). Those of you that trial with your dogs can easily understand.. Its tough. I am guessing nerves played a big part in Duco also. I certainly hope his detection skills are better than the course we watched.
Patty and Ice
ladyjubilee
Training Dog

Post by ladyjubilee »

Ok, Duke was just too cute. He definitely would have won the cute competition while "swimming" as his handler carried him across.
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by centrop67 »

I haven't seen last night's episode yet (fell asleep).
Michael
ladyjubilee
Training Dog

Post by ladyjubilee »

Oh darn, and I just spoiled it!
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by centrop67 »

I still think the competition format of elimination (and no reward for doing well in a single event) suck. I think this is a juxtaposition of reality requiring slow methodical work versus a "timed" event. Time being the most important factor in the competition, but in real life slow and steady catches the bad guy.

For the most part, all the dogs are doing well. It seems to be the handlers making the most mistakes (at least in my amateur mind).

I am looking forward to the next episode.
Michael
ladyjubilee
Training Dog

Post by ladyjubilee »

I too wish all the dogs got to compete in each event for a score.

That said, I've learned from the show. I thought Bramble needed to have her alert moulded into "something" else. But she takes the same position that Bear did in the "office". I also realize that my expectations of her are unrealistic. I unrealistically expect to say the command, Bramble obey....and we go one about our day. But even these highly trained dogs need multiple commands.

To be clear, I didn't see this as a Bramble problem but as me "doing it wrong". But if these professionals have to correct and redirect, then it's not just me ;
ladyjubilee
Training Dog

Post by ladyjubilee »

I thought they did better tonight focusing on the dogs.

I do think it's interesting how the handlers' expectations impede the dogs working. At times the handlers seem to judge what the dog should scent, versus giving the dog freedom to sniff. Some even focus so strongly on part of the "room" where a human would search, the team doesn't make it around to search the whole area. It almost seems to be more of a test of the human handlers and not the dog....

....and definitely something I should keep in mind if ever the worst case comes and Bramble has to find my son.
Tim91118
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Enjoying my Dutch Shepherd and my Malinois

Post by Tim91118 »

It’s obvious that these are not “ America’s top dogs “
Tim
ladyjubilee
Training Dog

Post by ladyjubilee »

I don't know. I think I'm a Falco fan girl.
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by centrop67 »

The show should be called America's top K9 "Team". It highlights the importance of the dog and handler relationship very well.

I will be watching last night's episode tonight. 9pm is past my bedtime 8-)
Michael
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by centrop67 »

I watched the latest episode last night.

I am highly disappointed in the Dutch Shepherd "handlers" so far. :cry:

It's obvious not the dog when we're talking DS :mrgreen:

Another episode of poor scent work. Whether it's handler or dog, it was a poor representation of what is used as "probable cause" in real life cases. :eew:

I hope the decoy was wearing a cup :lol:
Michael
ladyjubilee
Training Dog

Post by ladyjubilee »

I also wondered about the cinnamon scent. Maybe it is because I'm not exposed, but isn't cinnamon a more concentrated scent than narcotics?
ladyjubilee
Training Dog

Post by ladyjubilee »

I enjoyed the latest episode. Mattis is an awesome dog.

Of course I might have liked it because some of the dogs went their own way. At least Bramble's recall is good enough that even the white squirrel doesn't distract her.
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by centrop67 »

Just watched the latest episode.

No DS this week? :cry:

Mattis is a badass, but I'm hoping it was just the lights. I saw some cloudiness in his eyes.

I'm still having a problem with the scent event.
Michael
ladyjubilee
Training Dog

Post by ladyjubilee »

I saw that too and assumed it was just a reflection.

I thought they did a better job explaining the scent test this week and why it is so challenging. Again, though, it seemed like a few handlers were inadvertently pulled the dogs off the scent item assuming it was too small.