Page 1 of 1

Hello my name is clay

Posted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:19 pm
by Kain
I am a new member to the site. I am 24 I live I Louisiana and I am a new owner of a dutch shepherd!!

I found kain running across a hwy in town round some bad neighborhoods and when I looked him over it was clear he wasn't being taken care of. He has ring worms, hook worms, ear mites, skidish and I took a wild guess that he didn't have his shots yet at around 8-10 wks. So I wasn't really worried about trying to find his home. Sorry if that bothers some of you but I feel I did the right thing and his attitude shows it.

I'm not sure if he is 100% pure breed but he looks exactly like one. I assume from what the vet told me that he is around 11-12 weeks now. He is mild tempered. Mostly quiet. Picks up on commands pretty quick but is still stubborn when calling him to me sometimes.

I'll put a picture on here ASAP but I'm doing everything from my iPhone because my computer crapped out on me

As far as plans for him. I would like for him to be very obedient, with a little protection training (only so if he attacks an attacker I will be able to call him off) I do not want an aggressive dog. I just want a well trained companion that I can spend time with and have a healthy fun relationship.

Thanks
Clay

Re: Hello my name is clay

Posted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:02 pm
by icvanstra
Welcome to the forum!

Re: Hello my name is clay

Posted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:46 pm
by Sugars Mom
Welcome and congrats on your new pup. Looks like hes got a nice new home now and is being taken care of, good for you :)

Re: Hello my name is clay

Posted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:56 pm
by Kain
thank you that is my little dude in my avatar.

Re: Hello my name is clay

Posted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:34 pm
by Schlussdibusti
Welcome to the forum!

Re: Hello my name is clay

Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:44 pm
by alspyce
So glad you found him before he was killed on the road! Don't think I would look for the previous owner either. Welcome

Re: Hello my name is clay

Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:07 pm
by Kristie E
Kain wrote:thank you that is my little dude in my avatar.
Cute as a button!! Welcome!

Re: Hello my name is clay

Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:31 pm
by leih merigian
Glad you found us...and him! Will look forward to stories about him as he grows.

Re: Hello my name is clay

Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:39 pm
by GSDNanny
Welcome Clay, from one Louisianian to another! I'm in Alexandria - where are you? Dont see many DSs in my area, there are only a few. Looking forward to hearing more about your pup. Good luck, you've come to the right place to learn all there is about the DS.

Re: Hello my name is clay

Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:32 pm
by Kain
i live close to shreveport. He is doing well. He doesn't like the fact that i have to go to work everyday but i let him hang out with a friend and his dogs. I just couldn't leave him inside all day or outside all day while it is so hot here (over 100* everyday)

Re: Hello my name is clay

Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:02 pm
by vneerland
Hello Clay, welcome here.
You pup looks like a DS. I cannot imagine losing a pup that age? May I assume that there were no posters in your neighborhood either? No signs of anyone looking for him? (I feel I have to ask. While he probably was unwanted/neglected, what if someone out there truly lost him and he got his rough condition while on the lam?)

Re: Hello my name is clay

Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:10 pm
by Dutchringgirl
soooooooooooooooo glad you found him !!!! That is so wonderful !! You no doubt will have a wonderful companion in him and he you. I think you found his home :dswink"

about 15 years ago, my father ( who is an animal worshiper) found a dog, about 1 year, broken front leg, under a van in his work lot, very very bad area. After a week he coaxed her out, he would bring her food and water everyday, he brought her to a vet and she was pregnant. All of the pups had found good homes, and my brother took her in. She has since passed but I have always been thankful for rescuers.

Re: Hello my name is clay

Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:55 pm
by Christie M
vneerland wrote:(I feel I have to ask. While he probably was unwanted/neglected, what if someone out there truly lost him and he got his rough condition while on the lam?)
I was thinking this same thing. A pup is sure to get in poor condition quickly if it was fending for itself.

Clay - can you please visit the User Control Panel and create a signature with your name?? Love the Avatar!

Re: Hello my name is clay

Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:05 pm
by Kain
we found him running across a busy road that goes through the city. There are only 2 neighborhoods in that area and cops do not even go in there without their pistols on their laps...so to answer your question no i did not go and look for lost dog posters nor did i have any desire to. The chances of him fending for himself for a long enough time to get those conditions were HIGHLY unlikely due to the heavy traffic of cars and people in that area.