Board and Train vs Class/Private Sessions

General issues of training/education
ladyjubilee
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Sharing life with Bramble Dutch Shepherd mix (?) and Casper Whippet/Pit Bull (????) mix

Board and Train vs Class/Private Sessions

Post by ladyjubilee »

Board and train has never been an option for us. I just couldn't afford it. Plus we stress out just boarding Bramble while we go on vacation. As on this trip, we ending up lamenting that we needed her working almost daily. (We did have her work with the trainer a couple of times while we were gone.)

But I've always thought Board and Train would be great if it were an option. I've seen it recommended.

What are the advantages and disadvantages of Board and Train over private sessions?
Pack: Peanuts-terrier mix, 16-18 years old, Bramble-Dutch Shepherd, 3 yrs
borellar15
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Living in Austin, Texas with our dogs Zoey(DS), Henry (DS) and Tripper(labX). In college, I worked as a Handler and Assistant Manager of a training and daycare facility for 3 years where I've handled many working dogs. For the past 2 years I have been training Zoey and Henry and we have made some tremendous progress together.

Re: Board and Train vs Class/Private Sessions

Post by borellar15 »

There are several advantages of a board and train program. A lot of people think it’s just a trainer trying to sell you the highest package they can but that’s not the case. Private lessons are great if you’re willing to put the work in. Most aren’t. Private lessons are essentially the trainer explaining to you how to train your dog. They do training during the session to demonstrate it but then it’s up to you to out the work in and continue the training at home. Home work essentially. Not only that but most charge by the hour when really, your dogs attention span is mostly gone after about 20 mins and your dogs not really absorbing much at that point. Not to mention you introduce a new person (trainer) maybe in a new environment if you chose to meet in public or somewhere. Then there’s distractions etc. at this point your dogs not learning much. Private lessons are effective but you have to do them in the right place and the owner has to be willing to really put in the work between sessions.

Board and trains are beneficial because for one, it’s a professional trainer training your dog each time not just you, a novice. They can pick up on things that you can’t and tailor to your dogs learning abilities. They also tend to do several short sessions throughout the day vs 1 hour session that you do with the trainer in a private lesson. These short spurts of learning followed by reflection time is more effective in your dogs ability to absorb what it’s just learned. People really under estimate the value of the reflection period. If you do a session with your dog and then end it by letting it run around the house and chew on a bone or go outside and do what it wants your dogs probably only going to retain a small portion of that session. In a board and train You’re paying for multiple sessions by a professional each day for the course of the training vs 1 session maybe two per week whatever you do. Not only do the trainers have more time to train your dog effectively, they also have time to proof it which is also a big factor in dog training. Proofing the behaviors means taking a learned behavior and making sure the dog truly understands it by practicing it around distractions. Does your dog really understand what you’re saying or is it just repeating the motions??

I could go on for a while on this subject. Bottom line is both work, but private lessons really require a lot of homework for the owner. Means doing training when your dog is actually hungry. Early morning. Do you want to train your dog when you first wake up in the morning? Most don’t. But that’s when your dog is hungry and motivated and will likely work and retain the info. Same with the evening when most people get home from work etc.
Image Image
Alex - Zoey(DS), Henry (DS), Tripper Lab mix. Austin, Texas
ladyjubilee
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Sharing life with Bramble Dutch Shepherd mix (?) and Casper Whippet/Pit Bull (????) mix

Re: Board and Train vs Class/Private Sessions

Post by ladyjubilee »

I can definitely agree on the time it takes to work the home work. I struggle, especially during times of choas at home. to squeeze in those 5 minute sessions. Plus, if I lose the rhythm, she has an extra hurdle of having to re-learn the same task.

I will say, lessons have helped me learn some of the rights and wrongs, correcting my bad habits. My son has learned some basic skills too, something his teachers didn't believe was possible.
Pack: Peanuts-terrier mix, 16-18 years old, Bramble-Dutch Shepherd, 3 yrs