Exercise/training question

Your home for general discussion. Don't know where to post? Try here first.
diaryofvines
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Currently a house-husband and music lover. We have a male DS puppy called Bandit.

Exercise/training question

Post by diaryofvines »

Hello!

I wasn't quite sure where to post this as it relates to behaviour, training, and exercise...

My family and I are first time DS owners. I will firstly put my hands up to admit we didn't do the research before getting our pup. My wife was looking around online for a while and thought we'd go check out a litter of DS's. Then my wife just fell in love with the one now known as Bandit so....that was that.

Anyway, we've had him now for about 2 months and he's about 17 weeks old. I was wondering if people might be able to help shed some light on how much attention he really needs with exercise and training?

When I first looked around I saw a few sites saying they should be okay with a couple of walks a day - at least one "good" one. And training-wise, I just saw comments about how good they are at being trained. But recently my brother pointed out a site that states they NEED multiple walks a day AND training daily to keep their minds active otherwise they will get frustrated. Leading to barking, chewing, etc. Currently Bandit does play up, but we had just out that down to him being a puppy.
Also my brother has pointed out that he walks his greyhound 3-4 times a day, and my mum walks her Bernese Mountain Dog 3 times a day. We had been taking Bandit for 2 walks a day (during the week it fits around the school runs, first is about 1.5 - 2 miles, second is about 2 - 2.5 miles), and some days do bits of training and others more playing.

I obviously don't want to be lazy with Bandit, but my concern with the idea of including more walks etc is that I'm currently only at home during the day because I lost my job at the start of this whole covid situation, and am hoping to start working again when things start getting back to normal. And that would mean there wouldn't be as much time for to do so many walks etc.
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Re: Exercise/training question

Post by centrop67 »

I knew what I was getting into with the breed, and I am still struggling with the right balance for my most recent adoption.

It's not the quantity of walks, but the quality mixed with brain stimulating activities that matters.

The breed has the stamina to do a marathon, lay down for 5 minutes, and be ready for another at the drop of a pin.

Hide a toy and have him find it. Put a treat in one of three cups and ask him to find it. Play tug. Train a game of luring him in-between and around your legs until you get a nice routine going that will go viral on the internet.

And finally, the most important advice I can give you is to hire a trainer that knows working dogs. A good one will train you what you need to do to make him happy which in turn will make the whole house happy. Three walks a day isn't going to do that.
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
diaryofvines
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Currently a house-husband and music lover. We have a male DS puppy called Bandit.

Post by diaryofvines »

Thank you for all this.

Funnily enough my wife and I were talking the other day about going back to the guy we bought him off to see about training - his main business is gun dog training. Though he mainly deals with spaniels, so maybe not the best fit.
Tim91118
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Enjoying my Dutch Shepherd and my Malinois

Post by Tim91118 »

Engagement is the key to everything. You want your pup to work with you and for you. Get him to start making eye contact and using a reward as a motivator. There are a ton of YouTube videos showing you exactly how to start this process.
Tim
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Post by centrop67 »

Tim91118 wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:43 pm Engagement is the key to everything.
I missed stating this in my original response, but this is absolutely the key to everything.

Thanks Tim.
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
diaryofvines
Just Whelped

Post by diaryofvines »

Awesome, cheers.

I guess one question I should ask: is it possible to make things work with a DS without having someone always at home? As mentioned, I am at home currently, but we're hoping for me to be working again once things calm down enough with covid. Depending on the job, it could mean Bandit would have to stay home alone for 4+ hrs a day (unless I'm luck enough to find another job working from home).
Tim91118
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Enjoying my Dutch Shepherd and my Malinois

Post by Tim91118 »

Yes it’s possible, but you have to put in time and effort. This means getting all that pent up energy out of him before any training takes place. He’ll be much more receptive when he’s calm and can pay attention.
Tim
ladyjubilee
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Sharing life with Bramble Dutch Shepherd mix (?) and Casper Whippet/Pit Bull (????) mix

Post by ladyjubilee »

I would add our trainer stressed with Bramble, before we got the DNA results, that she does need time when she is not the focus of our attention. She's one of those dogs that wants to be "on you" 24/7. We had to teach her that she couldn't be the center of our attention all the time (and let me say lockdowns so didn't help on this front).

Bramble can still drive us all up the wall--including Casper.

But I do echo getting a good professional trainer. Bramble doesn't get as much physical exercise as other dogs here because she has to work, but the mental part does help her meet those needs.
Pack: Peanuts-terrier mix, 16-18 years old, Bramble-Dutch Shepherd, 3 yrs
borellar15
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Living in Austin, Texas with our dogs Zoey(DS), Henry (DS) and Tripper(labX). In college, I worked as a Handler and Assistant Manager of a training and daycare facility for 3 years where I've handled many working dogs. For the past 2 years I have been training Zoey and Henry and we have made some tremendous progress together.

Post by borellar15 »

And also I’d suggest crate training for when you’re not home. It will help with separation anxiety and also your couch won’t be torn up when you come home. Just because you might leave him alone once, twice a dozen times and nothing is torn up.... just wait... one day something will be. Use a kennel when you’re not home.
Image Image
Alex - Zoey(DS), Henry (DS), Tripper Lab mix. Austin, Texas
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 »

borellar15 wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:28 pm And also I’d suggest crate training for when you’re not home. It will help with separation anxiety and also your couch won’t be torn up when you come home. Just because you might leave him alone once, twice a dozen times and nothing is torn up.... just wait... one day something will be. Use a kennel when you’re not home.
This is imperative. My dog is what most would call on the lower end of the drive spectrum. To be honest, I don't Walk her all that much. Hikes on weekends is about it. However, I do spend at least a half hour working and just playing with her every morning and evening. Often times it's more than that. Is I go for two days without doing that, she f*$&s with me. It's guaranteed. Just last week, while I was getting a quick shower, she disemboweled one of my pillows. She did this out of boredom, frustration and possibly spite. I'll argue with any behaviorist about the latter. The point being it's engagement and fulfillment of their mental and physical exercise needs that leads to success with any active dog... Or person, for that matter.
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor