Hello from Pennsylvania

For our new members to introduce themselves
Koplinsky
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: New Dutch owner from Pennsylvania, USA. I have had Shepherds before, but never a Dutch Shepherd. Joining forum for helpful information.

Hello from Pennsylvania

Post by Koplinsky »

Hi. While I've had mixed Shepherds before, this is my first Dutch. I discovered the breed while searching for a dog smaller than my previous guy, who was 90 lbs. 50-70 lbs seemed ideal.

I am joining the forum to get as much information as I can in order to raise a well-mannered pup.

Thank you for allowing me to join the forum!
Justin T
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Re: Hello from Pennsylvania

Post by centrop67 »

Welcome to the forum!

Do you have any pics? Where did you get your DS? Do you have any activities/work planned for your dog?
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
Koplinsky
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: New Dutch owner from Pennsylvania, USA. I have had Shepherds before, but never a Dutch Shepherd. Joining forum for helpful information.

Post by Koplinsky »

centrop67 wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:48 pm Welcome to the forum!

Do you have any pics? Where did you get your DS? Do you have any activities/work planned for your dog?

We got our DS in Maryland. No activities/work planned, but I was advised the dog would be a good "family" dog as long as he receives the appropriate amount of stimulation. I thought I was up to the task but two weeks in, I am finding I may have been wrong.

He trains easily, but I suspect he is already resource guarding; air snapping, showing teeth when he gets something he shouldn't and we tell him no or "leave."

Otherwise, he is an exceptional dog, a fine companion and quite cuddly.
Attachments
20210829_165645.jpg
20210829_165645.jpg (2.44 MiB) Viewed 1496 times
Justin T
Tim91118
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Enjoying my Dutch Shepherd and my Malinois

Post by Tim91118 »

Nice little pup
Tim
ladyjubilee
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Sharing life with Bramble Dutch Shepherd mix (?) and Casper Whippet/Pit Bull (????) mix

Post by ladyjubilee »

I would definitely come up with an (several) activities on tap for him. I don't suggest tossing him off a dock, introducing elements. And obedience. They need purpose.
Pack: Peanuts-terrier mix, 16-18 years old, Bramble-Dutch Shepherd, 3 yrs
DutchLuna
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Just adopted a 2 year old female DS, love the breed! Love the energy and drive!

Post by DutchLuna »

He’s so beautiful! Good luck, lot’s of walking mixed with training breaks keeps my Luna in cuddle mode when we’re at home or the office :)
Mark77
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Own a Mal and a Dutchie.

Post by Mark77 »

They all start off small. My male Dutchie weighed over 95 pounds last time we were at the vet early last summer. Everyone thinks he's a German Shepherd because he turned all black as he got older and has a heavier coat. Used to have stripes but now you can't see them at all. While they're supposed to be around 70 pounds some can be much bigger.