Kyro and myself are new…! UPDATED 1/28/22

For our new members to introduce themselves
RobMcLagan
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I rescued Kyro on 30 September 2021 from a city shelter. He was going to be euthanized the next day. He is six years old and only weighed 34 pounds due to horrible abuse. He is now living on my farm and weighs 65 pounds. He is learning the socialization ropes and doing very well.

Kyro and myself are new…! UPDATED 1/28/22

Post by RobMcLagan »

I was called on 30 September 2021 by the City Animal Shelter regarding a dog they deemed unadoptable and likely would be sent to another shelter and be euthanized within a day or two. He was 34 pounds and horribly abused. See attached photo. Ten weeks later, Kyro, is 65 pounds (see photo) and running our farm. He is slowly learning the rules of the farm such as NOT TO KILL OUR HENS and PLEASE LEAVE THE PIGS ALONG. He is learning. Where I go he goes. It’s been ten weeks since I went to the bathroom on my own. He LOVES our farm and since I’m retired he is always with me for walks and trips to the agricultural store or Home Depot. I am told he is either a true or near true Dutch Shepherd. I really do not care what he is but knowing his breed and their traits seems very helpful.

UPDATE 1/28/22: I took One of my other dogs into the vet this week and also took in Kyro to weigh him. He has officially hit 60lbs. He weighed 34 pounds on 30 September 2021. That’s 26 pounds in just less than four months. he’s doing great now and can run as fast as the other dogs. When I first rescued him he could barely walk.
Attachments
D898FA4C-3D28-42EB-8A78-906929CD5AE6.jpeg
D898FA4C-3D28-42EB-8A78-906929CD5AE6.jpeg (2.21 MiB) Viewed 2209 times
E339108C-F376-4EEB-ACFE-E44DDCD6E36A.jpeg
E339108C-F376-4EEB-ACFE-E44DDCD6E36A.jpeg (275.76 KiB) Viewed 2444 times
Last edited by RobMcLagan on Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:18 am, edited 5 times in total.
Mark77
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Own a Mal and a Dutchie.

Re: Kyro and myself are new…!

Post by Mark77 »

Great story and thank you for rescuing him. He appears to be a Dutch Shepherd to me. He'll be fine once he learns what he is allowed to do and what he can't but it will take time.
TheVII
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: Grew up with dogs, but none as a particular as the dutch shepherds. We decided to get a Dutch shepherd pup, but before we commit more feedback would be appreciated.

Post by TheVII »

He is a good looking dog thank you for taking care of him. Who ever abused and abandoned him deserves to rot in hell.
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 »

Welcome! Happy to read about your experience!
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
ladyjubilee
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Sharing life with Bramble Dutch Shepherd mix (?) and Casper Whippet/Pit Bull (????) mix

Post by ladyjubilee »

He is looking good.

He looks a lot like Bramble, who is a true mix according to the DNA results. But like DS she can be a handful.
Pack: Peanuts-terrier mix, 16-18 years old, Bramble-Dutch Shepherd, 3 yrs
Tangonme
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: New owner of a DS! Just rescued an abandoned 1.5 year old and here to learn.

Post by Tangonme »

Oh man, when I rescued my Tango two weeks ago he was skin and bones too. It's so upsetting. His muscle mass issue has him a little clumsy and its difficult for him to poop. He is probably a solid 45 lb now but should be 65. I am trying to balance weight gain with muscle building, while also exercising him but not too much because he'll overexert himself and get hurt, esp when lunging toward something hes reacting to. I started spoon feeding him today because otherwise he will eat too fast and throw up. I started taking him to my job at a hardware store, where he is leashed to me, sticks close while I pack tools on shelves. He loves to help pull a dolly and even climbs up the step ladder with me.

Love to see Kyro's progress! Keep it coming!
TheVII
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: Grew up with dogs, but none as a particular as the dutch shepherds. We decided to get a Dutch shepherd pup, but before we commit more feedback would be appreciated.

Post by TheVII »

Tangonme wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:28 am I started spoon feeding him today because otherwise he will eat too fast and throw up. I started taking him to my job at a hardware store, where he is leashed to me, sticks close while I pack tools on shelves. He loves to help pull a dolly and even climbs up the step ladder with me.

Love to see Kyro's progress! Keep it coming!
Our Moxie has a fairly strong food drive, she can goble up portions, that are way to much for her and fast. If that happens she'd be puking it up and eating it over and over. (Was visiting my parents who put out kibble for their dog once a week and that dog doesn't bother with it because my mum cooks for the dog, Mox killed that bowl in about a minute)

We don't free feed her at all, but her hunger makes her easy to train, we go through her daily allotment feeding as a reward for everything she does right. Sounds like Tango is very food motivated too, great opportunity to work with him, and to teach him things.
RobMcLagan
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I rescued Kyro on 30 September 2021 from a city shelter. He was going to be euthanized the next day. He is six years old and only weighed 34 pounds due to horrible abuse. He is now living on my farm and weighs 65 pounds. He is learning the socialization ropes and doing very well.

Re: Kyro and myself are new…! UPDATED

Post by RobMcLagan »

I took One of my other dogs into the vet this week and also took in Kyro to weigh him. He has officially hit 60lbs. He weighed 34 pounds on 30 September 2021. That’s 26 pounds in just less than four months. he’s doing great now and can run as fast as the other dogs. When I first rescued him he could barely walk.
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Re: Kyro and myself are new…! UPDATED 1/28/22

Post by centrop67 »

:wtg:
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Re: Kyro and myself are new…! UPDATED 1/28/22

Post by TimL_168 »

That's great news!!!
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor