Niko....DS Mix??
Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:44 am
Hi everyone! I am new to this forum and new to the DS breed, however I grew up with GSD's, so I am very familiar with them. I recently adopted a puppy from our Animal Control facility and I am quite perplexed buy this dog. I saw him and fell in love because he had the face of a GSD...but the dog was brindle. The shelter said he was a GSD/Chow mix, I have never seen a brindle GSD or Chow...and I did not see any obvious signs of a pit bull, so I proceeded with the adoption, I could not see leaving there without him!
I brought him home yesterday (08.13.11) he is SO good in his crate! He doesn't whine or whimper, he has only barked a couple times and that is when I leave him. He appears to be house trained already, he knows to wait until we go for a walk and walks on the leash like a big boy, he does not pull and I like to train him to walk beside me, he is already doing it automatically! I am working with the jumping and mouthing, but he is really quite smart in all other aspects. I have 2 cats, both maine coon mixes (also rescue cats), he has not barked or snapped at them. He seems almost like the dream dog, I keep forgetting he is only 5 months old, possibly that is also because he already weighs 35.6 lbs! I know it's only the second day but I am VERY impressed with this dog!
So I was researching and I stumbled across the DS, they are beautiful and I was thinking maybe I finally found a place for Niko? I am sure he is a mix of some sort as his ears do not stand up straight like some of the pure breds I have seen. And what are the chances of getting a pure bred from Animal Control. They did not say if he came from a private owner or if he was a stray? I thought I would post some pictures and see if anyone can either confirm or deny?
Thank you!
Katie
I brought him home yesterday (08.13.11) he is SO good in his crate! He doesn't whine or whimper, he has only barked a couple times and that is when I leave him. He appears to be house trained already, he knows to wait until we go for a walk and walks on the leash like a big boy, he does not pull and I like to train him to walk beside me, he is already doing it automatically! I am working with the jumping and mouthing, but he is really quite smart in all other aspects. I have 2 cats, both maine coon mixes (also rescue cats), he has not barked or snapped at them. He seems almost like the dream dog, I keep forgetting he is only 5 months old, possibly that is also because he already weighs 35.6 lbs! I know it's only the second day but I am VERY impressed with this dog!
So I was researching and I stumbled across the DS, they are beautiful and I was thinking maybe I finally found a place for Niko? I am sure he is a mix of some sort as his ears do not stand up straight like some of the pure breds I have seen. And what are the chances of getting a pure bred from Animal Control. They did not say if he came from a private owner or if he was a stray? I thought I would post some pictures and see if anyone can either confirm or deny?
Thank you!
Katie