Page 1 of 1
Hi Y'all from Alabama
Posted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:27 am
by Tmacfire
My name is Todd and I just bought my first DS. Hope, my daughter liked the name, is 4 months old. She has adapted quite well and we are working on crate training. She came from a breeder who lost his home due to the recent tornadoes here and she hasn't been fooled with much. He lost his home but his kennel was still intact and she was born 4 days after the home was destroyed. I didnt know much about the breed but was intrigued after talking to several trainers. I brought her home and put her in her first crate and she hasn't made a peep except when she needs to go out. She has started to bond with my wife and daughter and really catches on quick to the leash. She will eventually be protection trained. We are trying to bond with her and housebreak. What age should we really start obedience and then protection training? I am intrigued by schutzhund but don't want to do anything now that might confuse her later. Thanks for your help and look for more questions from the Bama boy.
Re: Hi Y'all from Alabama
Posted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:37 am
by Marjolein
welcome!
From which kennel does your DS come? (curious...)
Schutzhund is fun, and you can start at young age, just find a good trainer that can help you learn all about it

Re: Hi Y'all from Alabama
Posted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:01 pm
by icvanstra
Todd,
welcome to the forum and congratulations on your pup!
Re: Hi Y'all from Alabama
Posted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:29 pm
by Tmacfire
Marjolein, the breeder is a police officer and has had a working shepherd for a while, I don't know anything about the line yet but she is ckc registered. I have mountain cur dogs that I use for hunting and was looking for something to watch the family while I am at work. She is a quick learner but I am familiar with hunting dogs not protection types, just hope I don't screw her up.
Re: Hi Y'all from Alabama
Posted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:56 pm
by leih merigian
Welcome, Todd and Hope!
Sounds like a very nice pup...don't forget we love pictures around here

)
There is so much you can do, training-wise, at this age, as long as you just make it all a fun game. Sounds like Hope has a nice life ahead of her!
Re: Hi Y'all from Alabama
Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:32 pm
by vneerland
Welcome Todd. Glad to have you here.

Re: Hi Y'all from Alabama
Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:29 pm
by alspyce
Welcome
Re: Hi Y'all from Alabama
Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:31 am
by Christie M
Hey there,
Welcome to the forum. She is a beautiful girl!! I'm not sure where in AL you are, but we are up in TN. I know its a haul, but a new club member of ours drives weekly from AL to TN to train on Sundays. I'm sure he would love the company and we would love to have you out, see your girl, give you some pointers and let you see a ton of stripes.
Good luck!