Hello from Michigan, USA!
Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:15 pm
Hi there. We are Eric & Caitlin and we have just purchased an 8 week old Dutch Shepherd puppy (Pepper!) here in Michigan. She's been home with us for about 3 days now. We have our hands full that's for sure! She's our first dog together so we're learning as much as she is!
The first night was rough. She howled in the crate, etc. Last night was her third night and she whined for 2 seconds then settled off to sleep. I think the key is being TIRED at bedtime. It's hard to coordinate her naps during the day so that she's not wide awake at night, though. She slept through the night last night (10PM to 7:30AM AND we had to wake HER up haha), so we're doing something right
We'd like her to be great in obedience, but she doesn't have to be able to track, protect, etc at a competitive level. We want an above average house dog, not a Schutzhund expert! So we're working on a few basic things... sit, down are going well. WAY more motivated for toys than food- not sure her sense of smell is the best right now, haha. Puppy class starts tonight
I'm going to head over to the training and puppies section to chat about our leash walking (not so hot right now) and nipping challenges. I will take any and all advice on our new little girl. Glad to have this outlet and I look forward to hearing from you!
The first night was rough. She howled in the crate, etc. Last night was her third night and she whined for 2 seconds then settled off to sleep. I think the key is being TIRED at bedtime. It's hard to coordinate her naps during the day so that she's not wide awake at night, though. She slept through the night last night (10PM to 7:30AM AND we had to wake HER up haha), so we're doing something right
We'd like her to be great in obedience, but she doesn't have to be able to track, protect, etc at a competitive level. We want an above average house dog, not a Schutzhund expert! So we're working on a few basic things... sit, down are going well. WAY more motivated for toys than food- not sure her sense of smell is the best right now, haha. Puppy class starts tonight
I'm going to head over to the training and puppies section to chat about our leash walking (not so hot right now) and nipping challenges. I will take any and all advice on our new little girl. Glad to have this outlet and I look forward to hearing from you!
