Page 1 of 1

New member - looking for info/contacts for a rehome

Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:36 pm
by baadram
Hi - My name is Cory and i run the Animal Ed.ventures Sanctuary and Education Center in Montana. I was contacted a few days ago by a D.S. owner that is needing to rehome his dog. Have been trying to do some research, but cannot seem to find (easily anyways) info on the kennel he came from. Kennel is Aachen out of Oklahoma and am trying to find a way to check his background etc... and contact them. Is anyone familiar with them?
The owner is looking for placement preferably in a working environment - dog is 14 mos intact male, has had some socialization in the way of walks in public, car rides etc. Owner says that he is good w/ others after "proper introduction" and says though that, "he didn't like the vet tech" - now - what that means....??? my guess is possibly a bite that he is hesitant to disclose which would make me question the level of obedience training he has had. Owner says he has had some...again what this means exactly...?...Since what you and I might consider "training" could be very different from what the average person would consider training. When pressed on the issue all he could say was that he comes when he's called, and, I think, there was a "sit" in there somewhere.
Any background/ideas/possible options on the breed/kennel owner and how to contact would go a long way towards helping me help this boy
Tks
C
www.animal-edventures.org

Re: New member - looking for info/contacts for a rehome

Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:52 pm
by Dutchringgirl
Check PM

Re: New member - looking for info/contacts for a rehome

Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:00 am
by Christie M
View this thread for a little background and some contact info:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=177

Additionally, you may want to contact Trudy Donais who runs the North American Dutch Shepherd Rescue. Her email is trudy@dutchshepherdrescue.org. She may not have immediate placement, but she is wonderful and can probably offer some help or insight.

Re: New member - looking for info/contacts for a rehome

Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:38 pm
by vneerland
Welcome Cory.
I hope you can find the information you are looking for.

Re: New member - looking for info/contacts for a rehome

Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:18 am
by baadram
Hi all - thanks to everyone who offered assistance. Wanted to let you know that i contacted a K-9 seargant and it turns out that they have a dog retiring shortly and have been wanting to fill his position. I have scheduled an assessment meeting for next week and, after looking briefly at the breeder's site (big thanks to those that found it for me), have high hopes that this is just the boy they are looking for. I can't think of a happier ending than knowing he will get to work hard and have lots of respect and appreciation (from at least one part of the population anyways ;O) ).
Thanks again for the welcome and the assistance.When you work in rescue, contacts like these - the networks that help us help animals most, are like pure gold.
If you're ever in Montana be sure to look us up!
Cheers
Cory
www.animal-edventures.org

Re: New member - looking for info/contacts for a rehome

Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:20 pm
by GSDNanny
Cory, thank you so very much for your committment to a solution for this boy. Your effort is greatly appreciated by myself and I am sure I can speak for everyone else on the DSF. Thank you from the bottom of my heart. I am sure you will be blessed one day.

Re: New member - looking for info/contacts for a rehome

Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:45 pm
by k9katet
I hope he works out for them.