hello

For our new members to introduce themselves
Post Reply
kaseydog
Just Whelped
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:42 am
Tell us about yourself: firefighter

hello

Post by kaseydog »

Hello, my name is Debra. Im a retired fire Captain from southern Cali and I have always love to watch the great K9s at work on my job. Im looking to buy or adopt a DS in the very near future. Im home now and would like to raise a pup and then have some family protection training done. Nothing to serious, but My husband is also a fire Captain and can be gone for weeks during brush fire season. Although Im almost always armed, I would like a dog that could " clear" the house when my small children and I get home and just do some basic protection. Im looking at the DS because they are bit smaller and I love the coloring. I would consider a rescue ( all the dogs I have ever had have been rescues) but Im leery about bringing a dog with unknown history and genetics into my home with small children. I have a long history of professional horse training and have always been able to train my dogs to a level of exceptional obedience, but I have no experience in the personal protection area and would probably send the dog into training. Babbling sorry, I have spoken to Trudy at NADSR ( very helpful) but just wanted to join here for any other thoughts or recommendations. Thank you. I am not against the idea of a Belgian Malinois, just really like the DS.
Deb in Cali
User avatar
icvanstra
Working Dog
Posts: 1153
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:33 am
Tell us about yourself: .
Location: Broad Ripple - the coolest part of Indianapolis - sometimes Amersfoort

Re: hello

Post by icvanstra »

Welcome to the forum!
Eric
  • - Cino vom Foxtal
    - Abigail NORML de Weijer (over the bridge)
    - Hannah the DS wanna be (over the bridge)
Sugars Mom
Working Dog
Posts: 1734
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:16 am
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.

Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!

I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences.
Location: Victoria BC

Re: hello

Post by Sugars Mom »

Welcome!
Sue (and Sugar)

Image
User avatar
Christie M
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 1279
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:03 pm
Tell us about yourself: Love my striped beasts.

Re: hello

Post by Christie M »

Welcome! I was just going to recommend that you get in touch with Trudy :-) But looks like you beet me to it. She will be an awesome asset to you, knowing both the rescue side of things and raising dogs for PP and LE.

Good luck and we look forward to hearing of your progress.
Christie Meyer
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com

Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
User avatar
Schlussdibusti
Working Dog
Posts: 1040
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:25 pm
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a DS

Re: hello

Post by Schlussdibusti »

kaseydog wrote: I am not against the idea of a Belgian Malinois, just really like the DS.
Stick to the stripy beasts! :wtg:

Welcome to the forum! :wave:
Eva & Marco BH
Jupiter, Florida
kaseydog
Just Whelped
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:42 am
Tell us about yourself: firefighter

Re: hello

Post by kaseydog »

ha ha, OK ill try but they are not easy to come by, thanks :-D :dsangry:
Deb in Cali
Post Reply