Page 1 of 1
Hello!!
Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:25 pm
by Elise Miller
Hello!!!
My name is Elise and my fiance and I have been looking to rescue a Dutch Shepherd! We are finally settled from our move from Orlando FL to South Jordan UT and cannot wait to get a DS. I have been looking for months for a young or puppy male to adopt but none are available(that I can find). I am hoping that I can get some insight on the breed and hopefully find our match soon.

Re: Hello!!
Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:52 pm
by Flying Dutchman
Hello and welcome! What kind of insight are you looking for? I usually tell people that these dogs are not for most people so be sure you are ready. Yes, they are absolutely amazing and fantastic but people need to be able to deal with their drive, energy and uncanny intelligence and have the time to train and exercise them.
Have you checked out NADSR? They have some basic info on the breed and coordinate rescue as well. You may need to be patient as far as finding the right dog for you.
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org/
Good Luck!
Re: Hello!!
Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:53 pm
by Schlussdibusti
Welcome to the forum!
And thanks for rescueing. You came to the right place. I am sure board members will be able to help with the right rescue dog.

Re: Hello!!
Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:58 pm
by Dutchringgirl
Hello there !
I have to agree with Elise, this breed is not for everyone. I have a rescue from NADSR too, as well as a dog from France.
Ask away!
Re: Hello!!
Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:17 pm
by Marjolein
welcome

Re: Hello!!
Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:38 pm
by Elise Miller
Thanks guys!
I have definitely done my research on the Dutch Shepherd. Their intelligence and agility is something that definitely drew me to them. My fiance grew up with German Shepherds and I have raised a couple of Australian Shepherds so we are definitely not beginners when it comes to owning and training dogs. I loved the intelligence of the Australian Shepherds and their high energy. I love having a trail running partner!
Here is a picture of one of my Australian Shepherds Molly, she was looking like Jar Jar Binks in her old age!
And this was in Florida so I had her groomed which is why her hair is so short.
Re: Hello!!
Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:31 pm
by Sugars Mom
HA, ha, what a cute face!
Re: Hello!!
Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:29 pm
by CaroleBoaz
Welcome!
Utah is a beautiful place. I spent some time in the southern part during my USA grand tour and liked it a lot.
Re: Hello!!
Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:58 pm
by kchristy
welcome!
Re: Hello!!
Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:22 am
by Jan
Welcome.
Re: Hello!!
Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:32 am
by Christie M
Welcome to the board! Keep and eye on NADSR and "Like" their Facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/NADSR.DSRescue. The dog's coming in an out change often. I know that they were working on pulling a young (6-9 months) from a Chicago shelter yesterday.
Also, it will help you a lot to get yourself PreApproved (
http://dutchshepherdrescue.org/adoption.html). Once you are on the waiting list, you will often be notified about dogs before they ever get posted. Young dogs and puppies are often adopted before they ever reach the websites.
Good luck in your search!
Re: Hello!!
Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:07 pm
by whk9k9
Hello and Welcome.
As Christie mentioned I would recommend you go on line to our website and fill out a pre adopt application if you like to get on our waiting list for a rescues DS from NADSR. Young dogs are in high demand and usually get adopted very quickly.
Thank you for looking at rescue!
Re: Hello!!
Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:53 am
by Elise Miller
Hi again! Just wanted to give an update. I found a three month old german shepherd/border collie mix that I could not say no to. He is an amazing dog and is so smart! I am definitely still interested in adopting a Dutch Shepherd, but not until Koda is a little older. This picture was taken a couple of weeks ago and he has already grown so much! One of his ears is up like a shepherd and the other one is still a little floppy. His mom was a pretty small GSD(60 lbs) so we will see how big he gets!
Re: Hello!!
Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:17 am
by Hillside
Wow, that is a ridiculously cute puppy! I can't wait to see what he looks like when he grows up.
Re: Hello!!
Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:08 pm
by Elise Miller
Thank you! Once I get more pictures I will put some up!
Re: Hello!!
Posted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:13 pm
by kchristy
Awww so cute! Look at that ear

Re: Hello!!
Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:53 pm
by k9katet
Adorable puppy! You are smart to wait a few years to add another.
