Hi

For our new members to introduce themselves
User avatar
saska8qt
Just Whelped
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:39 pm
Tell us about yourself: Newbie Dutch Shepherd owner

Hi

Post by saska8qt »

Hi all...

New owner of a beautiful DS/Mal rescue. I adopted her from a shelter that listed her as a Shepherd Mix and at the time I honestly had no idea what I was getting myself into. I grew up with a GSD and knew that I wanted another one, so when I saw this little black-masked girl I just thought she was a odd colored and underweight GSD. I didnt even know of these other breed possibilities before she came into my life. In the past few months I have definitely learned the difference! :twisted: I dunno, maybe she's a Dutch, maybe she's a Mal, either way she is half-Nuts.

She was the cutest/calmest/quietest dog in the shelter. Not shy, but just quiet. She accepted my male husky/shar-pei mix pretty quickly as they shared a few chicken mcnuggets on the ride home. (I know, i know, its not a regular treat at all. Its just my traditional "jail-break" treat I stop for when bringing past 3 dogs home from the pound.) After being in my home for 48 hours the true beast came out! :lol: She is prey-FREAK! Very fun and loving and great with all people she meets. But anything with four legs is lunch (along with butterflies, mosquitos and rain-drops.) Her obedience has been fast to learn, but even faster to forget everything in the face of distractions. I would venture to say she has A.D.D. to stay polite about it. My 3rd trainer, a reputable GSD breeder called her "bitch on drugs" with a laugh :dsroll:; and she actually loves him (thank God). Trainer #2, a K9 cop got fired after she bit him for being stupid. And #1, a K9 cop quit because she bit his new Canine Good Citizen assistant (leash was in trainers hand not mine, I told him not to underestimate her). She has really kept me on my toes for the past few months, and I am looking forward to further training and calm rituals before seeking sports etc.

I hope to get some good feedback and advice here. Sarcastic humor is welcome as long as its received well.

Its a pleasure to meet you; ladies, gentlemen and beasts.

Saska
Saska
photo.JPG (175.45 KiB) Viewed 5379 times
User avatar
Schlussdibusti
Working Dog
Posts: 1040
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:25 pm
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a DS

Re: Hi

Post by Schlussdibusti »

Weclome! :wave:
Eva & Marco BH
Jupiter, Florida
User avatar
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 5692
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:05 pm
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2
Location: Ct, USA

Re: Hi

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Welcome!, Thats quite a start:dsshock:
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Sugars Mom
Working Dog
Posts: 1734
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:16 am
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.

Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!

I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences.
Location: Victoria BC

Re: Hi

Post by Sugars Mom »

Welcome! How old is she?
Sue (and Sugar)

Image
User avatar
kchristy
Training Dog
Posts: 539
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:07 pm
Tell us about yourself: My name is Katrina, I have 1 dutch shepherd name Merlin. He is a handful and keeps things in our house very interesting and fun :)
Location: McCurtain, Ok

Re: Hi

Post by kchristy »

She is very pretty :)
Katrina, Soba, & Merlin
User avatar
Jan
Training Dog
Posts: 405
Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:58 pm
Tell us about yourself: I like Dutch Shepherddogs, especially the roughcoat. At the moment we have three dogs, two DS (one female who is 10 years and one male who is six months) and one male Laekenois at the age of three. We live in the north of The Netherlands.
Location: Zoutkamp, NL

Re: Hi

Post by Jan »

Welcome
Image
User avatar
saska8qt
Just Whelped
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:39 pm
Tell us about yourself: Newbie Dutch Shepherd owner

Re: Hi

Post by saska8qt »

Trainer and Vet guess' are 7-10 months.

When do they mature and start being a bit more rational?

I'm training "Stay" at about 15ft distance. She's getting it easily, but then a leaf blows by and she's gone.
User avatar
kchristy
Training Dog
Posts: 539
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:07 pm
Tell us about yourself: My name is Katrina, I have 1 dutch shepherd name Merlin. He is a handful and keeps things in our house very interesting and fun :)
Location: McCurtain, Ok

Re: Hi

Post by kchristy »

My Merlin is the same way, he stays put til the wind changes lol
Katrina, Soba, & Merlin
leih merigian
Working Dog
Posts: 1960
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:20 pm
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Re: Hi

Post by leih merigian »

Boy, you sure can see the devil in her eyes! What a cutie.

What a handful! Welcome to the world of the DS :lol: .
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
User avatar
alspyce
Working Dog
Posts: 1222
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:51 pm
Tell us about yourself: I am in New York State. Got my first DS about 14 years ago (more or less as a rescue- lost her in Nov.). After years of GSD's, and a few dogs of other breeds (Rotti/Beauceron/Ger. Shorthaired Pointer/ Yorkie and my current Jack Russell) I now have another DS, 4mo female, no name yet, tho I have a few in mind.
Also have a horse-old quarter horse mare-32.
Can't wait for all the snow to get gone! Spring is coming too slow this year!
Location: Corinth, New York

Re: Hi

Post by alspyce »

welcome
"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France
Chris Carlton/Lyric
User avatar
kchristy
Training Dog
Posts: 539
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:07 pm
Tell us about yourself: My name is Katrina, I have 1 dutch shepherd name Merlin. He is a handful and keeps things in our house very interesting and fun :)
Location: McCurtain, Ok

Re: Hi

Post by kchristy »

Do you have anymore pictures of her?
Katrina, Soba, & Merlin
User avatar
wahinelf
Green Dog
Posts: 246
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:18 am
Tell us about yourself: I recently moved from CA to MA (10/12), Ellie (my 4 year old DS mix) and I are adjusting together!
Location: Boston, MA
Contact:

Re: Hi

Post by wahinelf »

She's awesome! 3rd trainer is a charm?
-Aubrey

Image

Eleanor CGC FM TF-II, my 5YO DSX
User avatar
saska8qt
Just Whelped
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:39 pm
Tell us about yourself: Newbie Dutch Shepherd owner

Re: Hi

Post by saska8qt »

wahinelf wrote:She's awesome! 3rd trainer is a charm?

I really hope so.

I am "all-in" at this point, and there's no turning back
User avatar
saska8qt
Just Whelped
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:39 pm
Tell us about yourself: Newbie Dutch Shepherd owner

Re: Hi

Post by saska8qt »

kchristy wrote:Do you have anymore pictures of her?

On the rare occasion she is staying still.... of course !!
Attachments
sas.jpg
sas.jpg (422.17 KiB) Viewed 5308 times
User avatar
saska8qt
Just Whelped
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:39 pm
Tell us about yourself: Newbie Dutch Shepherd owner

Re: Hi

Post by saska8qt »

What do you think? Dutch, Mal or a mix?
Attachments
sas5.jpg
sas5.jpg (422.12 KiB) Viewed 5307 times
User avatar
saska8qt
Just Whelped
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:39 pm
Tell us about yourself: Newbie Dutch Shepherd owner

Re: Hi

Post by saska8qt »

She definitely has brindle in her coat, it's just really dark.
Attachments
sas3.jpg
sas3.jpg (239.11 KiB) Viewed 5306 times
User avatar
saska8qt
Just Whelped
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:39 pm
Tell us about yourself: Newbie Dutch Shepherd owner

Re: Hi

Post by saska8qt »

"Saska" and her new boyfriend, "Beck".

Their flirting is ridiculous.
Attachments
sasandbeck.jpg
sasandbeck.jpg (399.17 KiB) Viewed 5306 times
User avatar
Christie M
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 1279
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:03 pm
Tell us about yourself: Love my striped beasts.

Re: Hi

Post by Christie M »

Congrats on the new dog! She is beautiful.

She absolutely has Dutch in her. It is not really feasible to tell if she has malinois, as the fawn is not shown when the brindle gene is present. However, if you adopted her from a shelter, I would doubt she is from the few FCI dogs in this country, so its safe to assume there's malinois in there somewhere.

Glad you found a trainer you can mesh with. Some sport work might not be a bad idea. Done right, it gives the dog a channel for that biting and allows you to put it on control.

Good luck with her and thanks for the pictures.
Christie Meyer
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com

Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
User avatar
saska8qt
Just Whelped
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:39 pm
Tell us about yourself: Newbie Dutch Shepherd owner

Re: Hi

Post by saska8qt »

Christie M wrote: She absolutely has Dutch in her. It is not really feasible to tell if she has malinois, as the fawn is not shown when the brindle gene is present. However, if you adopted her from a shelter, I would doubt she is from the few FCI dogs in this country, so its safe to assume there's malinois in ...
Incredible to believe that she was running stray in the rough streets of (Kensington section) Philadelphia PA.

One of the trainers called her a "Mali-gator" :twisted: so that's when I started researching possible mixes.
User avatar
Christie M
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 1279
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:03 pm
Tell us about yourself: Love my striped beasts.

Re: Hi

Post by Christie M »

saska8qt wrote: Incredible to believe that she was running stray in the rough streets of (Kensington section) Philadelphia PA.

One of the trainers called her a "Mali-gator" :twisted: so that's when I started researching possible mixes.
Unfortunately, not that hard to believe. There are a few "breeders" in the Philly area :(
Christie Meyer
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com

Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
Post Reply