New - Interested to hear from working Dutch Shepherd

For our new members to introduce themselves
Post Reply
Frenchie85
Just Whelped
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:22 am
Tell us about yourself: French native who moved to United States 20 years ago. I'm very active in K9 search and rescue with my German Shepherd Dog, Bavo. We're certified as a wilderness trailing team by Carda and by Mendocino County Sheriff. We can be deployed anywhere in California or in any other State if needed.
My dog is about to retire and I'm now ready to search for the perfect puppy to continue my hobby and to do some Schutzhund. I'm hoping to get more information on Dutch Shepherd and their ability to work scent.
Location: Mendocino, CA

New - Interested to hear from working Dutch Shepherd

Post by Frenchie85 »

Hi everybody,

My name is Natacha. I'm originally from France but moved to United States 20 years ago. I currently own a German Shepherd Dog that is trained for Search and Rescue for the state of California and for Mendocino County Sheriff. My dog is about to retire and I'm now researching my next puppy. I have very good knowledge about the German Shepherd breed and would have loved to continue working with them. However, due to all the health problems related to the GSDs, I'm now considering searching other breed. So far,from what I learned, the Dutch Shepherd may be a good fit for me. I'm joining this forum to learn more about them especially about their ability to work scent. Is there any handlers in this forum that works their DSD for SAR, HRD or drug detection? I'd love to connect with those handlers.
Thank you!

Natacha
Natacha "Frenchie" & Bavo "the GSD"
Certified K9 SAR Trailling
Member of CARDA
Member of Mendocino Sheriff K9 SAR
User avatar
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 1547
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:10 pm
Tell us about yourself: *
Location: Tex@s

Re: New - Interested to hear from working Dutch Shepherd

Post by vneerland »

Welcome Natacha.
Yes, some DS's work in SAR. There are/were some that are/were FEMA certified in Monterey, CA.
Most of mine are at least detection dogs. I do not know any HRD off hand, but I feel confident that those too, are out there.
ImageJudith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds Image
User avatar
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 5692
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:05 pm
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2
Location: Ct, USA

Re: New - Interested to hear from working Dutch Shepherd

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Welcome !!! I am not into SAR (yet) I do beleive a DS wil be great. Im just biased :)
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
leih merigian
Working Dog
Posts: 1960
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:20 pm
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Re: New - Interested to hear from working Dutch Shepherd

Post by leih merigian »

My DS does baby scent work...K9Nosework, but loves it and excells at it, every bit as much as my GSD did.
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
User avatar
alspyce
Working Dog
Posts: 1222
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:51 pm
Tell us about yourself: I am in New York State. Got my first DS about 14 years ago (more or less as a rescue- lost her in Nov.). After years of GSD's, and a few dogs of other breeds (Rotti/Beauceron/Ger. Shorthaired Pointer/ Yorkie and my current Jack Russell) I now have another DS, 4mo female, no name yet, tho I have a few in mind.
Also have a horse-old quarter horse mare-32.
Can't wait for all the snow to get gone! Spring is coming too slow this year!
Location: Corinth, New York

Re: New - Interested to hear from working Dutch Shepherd

Post by alspyce »

Welcome!
"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France
Chris Carlton/Lyric
Lauren
Training Dog
Posts: 540
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:29 pm
Tell us about yourself: I am a wife, mother of 2 kids, 3 cats, 1 Standard Poodle (10 yrs) and Xena, a Dutch Shepherd Puppy.

Re: New - Interested to hear from working Dutch Shepherd

Post by Lauren »

I am hoping to do SAR with mine when se grows up a bit (7 months) She is very good at airscenting favorite people, and can find my son/hubby in a crowded Lowes in under 5 min. She is absolutely unafraid of any surface and will climb through/jump on or over anything.

DS are not like small GSDs though. You can search for the discussions on the differences.

Hey... there is a lovely DS female up for adoption in CA. Look for Magda under facebook Dutch shepherd handlers or North American Dutch Shepherd Rescue.

That way you can skip the puppy stuff and get right to work!
Lauren from Western NC
GSDNanny
Training Dog
Posts: 615
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:13 pm
Tell us about yourself: Dogs are my life, what can I say. GSDs primarily for nearly 50 years til bringing in my first DutchShep about 4 years ago. GSD rescue for 9 yrs, nearly 200 thru my home, rehabbed, adopted out. Been involved in AKC ob, herding, tracking, agility; Schutzhund-DVG; scent detection (HR-water)&narcotics, some patrol work. Mostly herding training at present on my little farm.

Re: New - Interested to hear from working Dutch Shepherd

Post by GSDNanny »

Welcome! Indeed the DS can do scent work. I esp like their agileness and size for terrain, rubble piles, tight spots, and loading. I agree with Lauren, check out the rescue DS.

Denise Gatlin & Zip, Shooter & the K9 crew

Livin' in the deep south - Louisiana
User avatar
kchristy
Training Dog
Posts: 539
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:07 pm
Tell us about yourself: My name is Katrina, I have 1 dutch shepherd name Merlin. He is a handful and keeps things in our house very interesting and fun :)
Location: McCurtain, Ok

Re: New - Interested to hear from working Dutch Shepherd

Post by kchristy »

Welcome :) Also I checked out Magda, beautiful ds. Sounds like the perfect Dutch Shepherd.
Katrina, Soba, & Merlin
User avatar
Marjolein
Working Dog
Posts: 2078
Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:17 pm
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)
Location: Warbeyen, Germany
Contact:

Re: New - Interested to hear from working Dutch Shepherd

Post by Marjolein »

Welcome!
(I will reply to your mail... ;) bit busy with 7 little brindled rascals at the moment...)
Image
Frenchie85
Just Whelped
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:22 am
Tell us about yourself: French native who moved to United States 20 years ago. I'm very active in K9 search and rescue with my German Shepherd Dog, Bavo. We're certified as a wilderness trailing team by Carda and by Mendocino County Sheriff. We can be deployed anywhere in California or in any other State if needed.
My dog is about to retire and I'm now ready to search for the perfect puppy to continue my hobby and to do some Schutzhund. I'm hoping to get more information on Dutch Shepherd and their ability to work scent.
Location: Mendocino, CA

Re: New - Interested to hear from working Dutch Shepherd

Post by Frenchie85 »

Thank you everybody for your replies, they're helpful.
Marjolein, I'm looking forward to your email... no rush.
Natacha "Frenchie" & Bavo "the GSD"
Certified K9 SAR Trailling
Member of CARDA
Member of Mendocino Sheriff K9 SAR
User avatar
icvanstra
Working Dog
Posts: 1153
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:33 am
Tell us about yourself: .
Location: Broad Ripple - the coolest part of Indianapolis - sometimes Amersfoort

Re: New - Interested to hear from working Dutch Shepherd

Post by icvanstra »

You can definitely do SAR work with a Dutch Shepherd.

Deb is working on getting Cooper (littermate to my Cino) certified for FEMA.

Judith will know who I'm talking about.. There was a guy in California with a pup from Judith and he did SAR work. ...and I'm sure there are others out there.
Eric
  • - Cino vom Foxtal
    - Abigail NORML de Weijer (over the bridge)
    - Hannah the DS wanna be (over the bridge)
Frenchie85
Just Whelped
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:22 am
Tell us about yourself: French native who moved to United States 20 years ago. I'm very active in K9 search and rescue with my German Shepherd Dog, Bavo. We're certified as a wilderness trailing team by Carda and by Mendocino County Sheriff. We can be deployed anywhere in California or in any other State if needed.
My dog is about to retire and I'm now ready to search for the perfect puppy to continue my hobby and to do some Schutzhund. I'm hoping to get more information on Dutch Shepherd and their ability to work scent.
Location: Mendocino, CA

Re: New - Interested to hear from working Dutch Shepherd

Post by Frenchie85 »

Wow! Thank you Eric and Judith.
If Judith could send me a private email about the person who does SAR in California, that would be so helpful. I'd love to watch some Dutch Shepherd working SAR. I'm particularly interested about their focus while working.
I'm specialized in tracking and I've been very successful with my dog who is very focus, slower but extremely precise. I'm looking for the same traits for my next dog but with higher drive than my GSD.

Natacha
Natacha "Frenchie" & Bavo "the GSD"
Certified K9 SAR Trailling
Member of CARDA
Member of Mendocino Sheriff K9 SAR
User avatar
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 1547
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:10 pm
Tell us about yourself: *
Location: Tex@s

Re: New - Interested to hear from working Dutch Shepherd

Post by vneerland »

I have not heard from the person in CA for a while. Sadly, his own SAR girl 'Channa' died and we all felt the extreme loss of her passing. She was a truly wonderful dog and great ambassador for her breed. Two more pups of mine remain working as Fema certified dogs in that area, Elske and Indy, but I am not sure how to find them. :lol: Deb, the breeder of Eric's dog, has used the same sire (one of my dogs, Nico) as one of the CA FEMA dogs, but that is by no means an exhaustive list of FEMA certified hollanders.
I would love to add one or two myself, one day, but should get off my behind for that. :oops:
I can only say that the talent of the dog is only part of the equation. I truly admire the dedication of the handlers who train (with) their dogs for this appliation. They rock! :yeah:
ImageJudith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds Image
Post Reply