Fantastic trick!Sugars Mom wrote:
I've taught her the trick where she will be sitting in front of me, then turn and walk backwards in between my legs, and then from behind me, turn and come back through my legs backwards so she ends up sitting in front of me. Now I want to teach her to walk around me backwards.
Lots of fun, eh?
Go To Bin
-
leih merigian
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1960
- Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:20 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.
Re: Go To Bin
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
-
Raven
- Global Moderator

- Posts: 1608
- Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:19 am
- Tell us about yourself: .
Re: Go To Bin
One of the things you could add to Sugar's growing repertoire (well, there's a million things!) which would be very cute (because of her size and overall cuteness factor) is a chorus kick while between your legs (or while walking beside you).
Thor's and my variation of the kick is while we are walking with him underneath me ("Let's Ride" command), I kick out my right foot and he kicks out his right foot to tap the top of mine and then back and forth between left and right as we walk along. (It'd be cuter with a dog like Sugar, I'm sure.) He'll also do it while sitting or standing beneath me, but the walking kick is more fun...and challenging due to my short stature and less-than-graceful balance.
Thor's and my variation of the kick is while we are walking with him underneath me ("Let's Ride" command), I kick out my right foot and he kicks out his right foot to tap the top of mine and then back and forth between left and right as we walk along. (It'd be cuter with a dog like Sugar, I'm sure.) He'll also do it while sitting or standing beneath me, but the walking kick is more fun...and challenging due to my short stature and less-than-graceful balance.
Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~
-
Sugars Mom
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1734
- Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:16 am
- Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.
Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!
I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences. - Location: Victoria BC
- kchristy
- Training Dog
- Posts: 539
- Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:07 pm
- Tell us about yourself: My name is Katrina, I have 1 dutch shepherd name Merlin. He is a handful and keeps things in our house very interesting and fun :)
- Location: McCurtain, Ok
- Dutchringgirl
- Global Moderator

- Posts: 5692
- Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:05 pm
- Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2
- Location: Ct, USA
Re: Go To Bin
Thats fantastic!!! Can you get a video??
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT




-
Sugars Mom
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1734
- Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:16 am
- Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.
Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!
I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences. - Location: Victoria BC
Re: Go To Bin
Here is my 8 year old step son with Sugar...I asked him if he wanted to try the back up trick and I videoed it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=belXM4tl ... P6CTXcFK1w
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=belXM4tl ... P6CTXcFK1w
Sue (and Sugar)

- Schlussdibusti
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1040
- Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:25 pm
- Tell us about yourself: I adopted a DS
Re: Go To Bin
Supter! Both of themSugars Mom wrote:Here is my 8 year old step son with Sugar...I asked him if he wanted to try the back up trick and I videoed it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=belXM4tl ... P6CTXcFK1w
Eva & Marco BH
Jupiter, Florida
Jupiter, Florida
- kchristy
- Training Dog
- Posts: 539
- Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:07 pm
- Tell us about yourself: My name is Katrina, I have 1 dutch shepherd name Merlin. He is a handful and keeps things in our house very interesting and fun :)
- Location: McCurtain, Ok
- alspyce
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1222
- Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:51 pm
- Tell us about yourself: I am in New York State. Got my first DS about 14 years ago (more or less as a rescue- lost her in Nov.). After years of GSD's, and a few dogs of other breeds (Rotti/Beauceron/Ger. Shorthaired Pointer/ Yorkie and my current Jack Russell) I now have another DS, 4mo female, no name yet, tho I have a few in mind.
Also have a horse-old quarter horse mare-32.
Can't wait for all the snow to get gone! Spring is coming too slow this year! - Location: Corinth, New York
Re: Go To Bin
Sugar is so darn cute. Nice work!
"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France
Chris Carlton/Lyric
Chris Carlton/Lyric
- felixone123
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1076
- Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:08 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Rescued our first DS male on Dec 27, 2011. Approx 4 yrs. Rescued from NADSR. His name is Odin. Adopted a 2nd DS from NADSR June 27, 2012. Kai - 6 months.
- Location: Fishkill, NY
-
leih merigian
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1960
- Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:20 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.
Re: Go To Bin
Two cuties! Nice trick!
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
- Marjolein
- Working Dog
- Posts: 2078
- Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:17 pm
- Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)
- Location: Warbeyen, Germany
- Contact:
- Marjolein
- Working Dog
- Posts: 2078
- Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:17 pm
- Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)
- Location: Warbeyen, Germany
- Contact:
Re: Go To Bin
I got inspired, and have started to teach Ivil to put her toys in a basket. Only started today, and if I learned one thing over the years it is that I always want to go too fast
So forcing myslef to stick with the "stickin' the nose into the basket" for another day, but she learns pretty fast! I use a clicker çause I'm bad at using my voice correctly.
I started by putting a tiny treat in the basket. Every time she sticks her head in to get it, >click<
Moved on to waiting for her to stick her head in without a treat in the basket >click< and throw the cookie.
Moved on to moving the basket all around the room and kitchen, >click< for sticking her snouth in and throwing the treat away from the basket, so she had to move in order to get it, this creates the possibility for her to go back to basket again, stick in her head and get her >click< and treat
so far, we are having fun
I started by putting a tiny treat in the basket. Every time she sticks her head in to get it, >click<
Moved on to waiting for her to stick her head in without a treat in the basket >click< and throw the cookie.
Moved on to moving the basket all around the room and kitchen, >click< for sticking her snouth in and throwing the treat away from the basket, so she had to move in order to get it, this creates the possibility for her to go back to basket again, stick in her head and get her >click< and treat
so far, we are having fun
-
Sugars Mom
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1734
- Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:16 am
- Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.
Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!
I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences. - Location: Victoria BC
-
leih merigian
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1960
- Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:20 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.
Re: Go To Bin
Good job, Marjolein!<click/treat> <uploading
>
Can't wait to hear of your progress as you go...
Can't wait to hear of your progress as you go...
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
- alspyce
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1222
- Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:51 pm
- Tell us about yourself: I am in New York State. Got my first DS about 14 years ago (more or less as a rescue- lost her in Nov.). After years of GSD's, and a few dogs of other breeds (Rotti/Beauceron/Ger. Shorthaired Pointer/ Yorkie and my current Jack Russell) I now have another DS, 4mo female, no name yet, tho I have a few in mind.
Also have a horse-old quarter horse mare-32.
Can't wait for all the snow to get gone! Spring is coming too slow this year! - Location: Corinth, New York
Re: Go To Bin
Great! Now that her pups are gone, she'll need a new job. (Teach her to bring the beer, then dispose of the can.)
How many behaviors do you guys work on at the same time?
I also want to go too fast lots of times, and have more than one thing I'd like to be doing. I keep thinking, if I teach this behavior now, will I regret it later. (Such as automatic sits, then not wanting them to sit in the conformation ring, just as a simplified example.)
How many behaviors do you guys work on at the same time?
I also want to go too fast lots of times, and have more than one thing I'd like to be doing. I keep thinking, if I teach this behavior now, will I regret it later. (Such as automatic sits, then not wanting them to sit in the conformation ring, just as a simplified example.)
"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France
Chris Carlton/Lyric
Chris Carlton/Lyric
- Marjolein
- Working Dog
- Posts: 2078
- Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:17 pm
- Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)
- Location: Warbeyen, Germany
- Contact:
Re: Go To Bin
haha, that is why I chose to teach her to put toys in a basket, and not put stuff in the bin...she will no doubt get more OUT of the bin and eat it when I leave the room... Some things are better kept secret to a smart dogalspyce wrote:I keep thinking, if I teach this behavior now, will I regret it later.
Ow, and I do one thing at a time, when that is in, I may fine tune it, but I can start a new one when the earlier one is solid. When the behaviour is asked in a different setting (home/outdoor/training field) I can do multiple. For Ivil anyway...
So, we moved on a bit today... had started adding the command "bak" (Dutch for container) as she moved her head into the basket.
Today we started by moving the basket around the rooming, stickin's the snouth in on "Bak" >click< treat
This evening after work, we moved to "Bak", Ivil moves to basket sticks her nose in >click< treat.
Then I picked up a toy, sat next to the basket, threw the toy away a foot or so, "apport" she brought the toy towards me, I said "bak" she stuck her nose in, "LOS" and droppes it IN the basket
*proud* She dropped it next to the basket once, no treat, just said "apport" again and "bak" and she dropped it in the basket
We will keep this up for another day, using different toys. Also do it when the toys are already lying around, not throwing them like I did tonight. Then I will move away from the basket slowly, using "bak"for making her go to the basket...
On
-
Sugars Mom
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1734
- Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:16 am
- Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.
Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!
I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences. - Location: Victoria BC
-
leih merigian
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1960
- Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:20 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.
Re: Go To Bin
Great going, Marjolein! Fortunado for you and Ivil, you already had most of the pieces, so once she had bak, you're there.
I train multiple things at the same time.
Sometimes I do what are now being called micro training sessions. You train one thing for a minute, quit and play interactively for a minute, train something (either the same thing or something else) for a minute, play for a minute, then repeat one more time. Done. Two of these 6 min sessions a day is fine for most people and their dogs.
Other times, I'll just train several things in a session, but it stays pretty short, no more than 15 minutes total, and always followed by interactive play. I just tell her, "OK, we're gonna do something else," and we generally play a bit between things.
Of course, different skills are at different degrees of completion or finish.
With nosework, we'll often train for long periods; up to an hour. If we do, there are several rest periods, perhaps 10 minutes each. If it's a shorter session, maybe 10-15 minutes. Then again, sometimes I have her just do one find, then done. She hates that
; she doesn't want to quit.
I love having a dog that loves to train.
I train multiple things at the same time.
Sometimes I do what are now being called micro training sessions. You train one thing for a minute, quit and play interactively for a minute, train something (either the same thing or something else) for a minute, play for a minute, then repeat one more time. Done. Two of these 6 min sessions a day is fine for most people and their dogs.
Other times, I'll just train several things in a session, but it stays pretty short, no more than 15 minutes total, and always followed by interactive play. I just tell her, "OK, we're gonna do something else," and we generally play a bit between things.
Of course, different skills are at different degrees of completion or finish.
With nosework, we'll often train for long periods; up to an hour. If we do, there are several rest periods, perhaps 10 minutes each. If it's a shorter session, maybe 10-15 minutes. Then again, sometimes I have her just do one find, then done. She hates that
I love having a dog that loves to train.
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...


Facebook page.