New From Chicago

For our new members to introduce themselves
Post Reply
User avatar
LyonsFamily
Training Dog
Posts: 947
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:08 am
Tell us about yourself: Odin 5 years
Elli 5 years
Location: Michigan
Contact:

New From Chicago

Post by LyonsFamily »

I've been a member, just browsing, for a while, and decided to finally introduce myself. My name is Stephanie and I have a (almost) 2 year old Dutch Shepherd named Odin that my husband and I recently rescued. I'm an agility instructor, so he's my new competition boy, and in the short time we've had him, he's definitely proving himself.

He seems to have a pretty high ball drive, and enjoy water as well, so we may end up doing some Dock Diving, I've never competed in that, but I used to attend club practice sessions with my English Setter, Winston.

I have high energy setters over the years, but nothing quite as intelligent as Odin. I was actually looking for a Malinios or Tervuren when I went to a rescue/foster home to see a young male Malinois, but was introduced to this beautiful Dutch as I was leaving. A few weeks and a lot of husband convincing later, he's now at home on my couch with me.

Looking through the old posts, I've discovered that Odin isn't new to this forum. You may recall a few postings from last year about a Chicagoland Dutch named Otis looking for a new home. That's Odin before we adopted him! He's been through doggie bootcamp and is refocusing his issues into agility, and he's become the most wonderful dog for our active family.

I'm glad to have found this forum, to learn more about the breed, and connect with others.
Stephanie
'Odin' NV PTA Odin of Another Kingdom RL1
'Elli' Drawing Our Own Constellations RL1 CGC CGCA
User avatar
Schlussdibusti
Working Dog
Posts: 1040
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:25 pm
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a DS

Re: New From Chicago

Post by Schlussdibusti »

Welcome!
And what a great story. Thanks for rescueing Otis/Odin. :wtg:
Eva & Marco BH
Jupiter, Florida
User avatar
Jan
Training Dog
Posts: 405
Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:58 pm
Tell us about yourself: I like Dutch Shepherddogs, especially the roughcoat. At the moment we have three dogs, two DS (one female who is 10 years and one male who is six months) and one male Laekenois at the age of three. We live in the north of The Netherlands.
Location: Zoutkamp, NL

Re: New From Chicago

Post by Jan »

Welcome. Great story indeed, glad you found Otis.
Image
User avatar
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 5692
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:05 pm
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2
Location: Ct, USA

Re: New From Chicago

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Welcome! Glad you found each other.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
User avatar
alspyce
Working Dog
Posts: 1222
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:51 pm
Tell us about yourself: I am in New York State. Got my first DS about 14 years ago (more or less as a rescue- lost her in Nov.). After years of GSD's, and a few dogs of other breeds (Rotti/Beauceron/Ger. Shorthaired Pointer/ Yorkie and my current Jack Russell) I now have another DS, 4mo female, no name yet, tho I have a few in mind.
Also have a horse-old quarter horse mare-32.
Can't wait for all the snow to get gone! Spring is coming too slow this year!
Location: Corinth, New York

Re: New From Chicago

Post by alspyce »

Welcome!
"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France
Chris Carlton/Lyric
User avatar
Christie M
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 1279
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:03 pm
Tell us about yourself: Love my striped beasts.

Re: New From Chicago

Post by Christie M »

I'm so glad to hear that he is doing so well!! I had some doubts, but I know Jennifer is a good trainer and very dedicated - so I know she did a great job fostering him.

Who are you training agility with up there? I teach at Camp Dogwood (http://www.CampDogwood.com) twice a year in Ingleside and have come to know some of the local instructors through that.
Christie Meyer
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com

Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
GSDNanny
Training Dog
Posts: 615
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:13 pm
Tell us about yourself: Dogs are my life, what can I say. GSDs primarily for nearly 50 years til bringing in my first DutchShep about 4 years ago. GSD rescue for 9 yrs, nearly 200 thru my home, rehabbed, adopted out. Been involved in AKC ob, herding, tracking, agility; Schutzhund-DVG; scent detection (HR-water)&narcotics, some patrol work. Mostly herding training at present on my little farm.

Re: New From Chicago

Post by GSDNanny »

I remember Otis'(Odin) story and so glad he has a second chance with you now. Please keep us up on his progress.

Denise Gatlin & Zip, Shooter & the K9 crew

Livin' in the deep south - Louisiana
User avatar
felixone123
Working Dog
Posts: 1076
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:08 pm
Tell us about yourself: Rescued our first DS male on Dec 27, 2011. Approx 4 yrs. Rescued from NADSR. His name is Odin. Adopted a 2nd DS from NADSR June 27, 2012. Kai - 6 months.
Location: Fishkill, NY

Re: New From Chicago

Post by felixone123 »

Hi and welcome!!! I have an Odin too!! He is about 3-4 yrs old and a rescue.
Barbara, Odin & Kai
User avatar
LyonsFamily
Training Dog
Posts: 947
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:08 am
Tell us about yourself: Odin 5 years
Elli 5 years
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: New From Chicago

Post by LyonsFamily »

Thanks for the welcome. I'll definitely keep you updated on his progress. Jennifer has done wonderful things with him, and I think with some sport training he'll get even more confident.

Christie M, I just training independently, doing private lessons for now, and practicing in local parks. I've only been in Chicago for a few years, I used to train with Daphne Stover out of Hadley Acres in Michigan. I'm working with a few investors to get a center opened up in the South Loop, hopefully at the end of this year, or the beginning of 2013, depending on negotiations.

If you know any Dock Diving clubs in the area, let me know. The only place of I know much about is Paw Law out of Bartle, I know a few people that train there.
Stephanie
'Odin' NV PTA Odin of Another Kingdom RL1
'Elli' Drawing Our Own Constellations RL1 CGC CGCA
Sugars Mom
Working Dog
Posts: 1734
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:16 am
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.

Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!

I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences.
Location: Victoria BC

Re: New From Chicago

Post by Sugars Mom »

Welcome!

I remember Otis's story and am glad to hear he has a new home and doing well. His previous owner really wanted that.

Definitely keep us posted and pics are always great!!
Sue (and Sugar)

Image
User avatar
Marjolein
Working Dog
Posts: 2078
Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:17 pm
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)
Location: Warbeyen, Germany
Contact:

Re: New From Chicago

Post by Marjolein »

Welcome :D
Image
User avatar
Christie M
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 1279
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:03 pm
Tell us about yourself: Love my striped beasts.

Re: New From Chicago

Post by Christie M »

LyonsFamily wrote: Christie M, I just training independently, doing private lessons for now, and practicing in local parks. I've only been in Chicago for a few years, I used to train with Daphne Stover out of Hadley Acres in Michigan. I'm working with a few investors to get a center opened up in the South Loop, hopefully at the end of this year, or the beginning of 2013, depending on negotiations.

If you know any Dock Diving clubs in the area, let me know. The only place of I know much about is Paw Law out of Bartle, I know a few people that train there.
One of my best friends, Ashlee Trotter, trains in Des Plaines. She is a great agility instructor, but she also is just a good asset for where to go for most sports. She has wire-haired pointers (small brag, her boy is the #1 agility WHP in AKC) but does everything - agility, rally, tracking, dock diving, AKC obedience, hunting....you name it. She is also a fan of our breed, being an aunt to my kids and having fostered a few rescues for me up there. She's very cool. Her website is http://www.creativepaws.com I know she's probably a distance from you, but she travels to events all over Chicago, so I am sure she can help find dock diving at a minimum.

I don't miss city life in the slightest. But I do envy the variety of options that are available up there. You can do almost anything without having to drive more than an hour or so :D
Christie Meyer
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com

Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
User avatar
Christie M
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 1279
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:03 pm
Tell us about yourself: Love my striped beasts.

Re: New From Chicago

Post by Christie M »

LyonsFamily wrote: Hadley Acres in Michigan.
Is this Chris & Jill Hadley's?
Christie Meyer
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com

Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
leih merigian
Working Dog
Posts: 1960
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:20 pm
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Re: New From Chicago

Post by leih merigian »

welcome stephanie and odin!

Now we have two odins on this board! ANd, both rescues!

sounds like Osquared has a great new home and future ahead of him...woohoo!
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
User avatar
LyonsFamily
Training Dog
Posts: 947
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:08 am
Tell us about yourself: Odin 5 years
Elli 5 years
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: New From Chicago

Post by LyonsFamily »

Christie M wrote:
Is this Chris & Jill Hadley's?
No, it's in a town called Hadley, small town, right outside Lapeer, and about 30 miles east of Flint, MI. The head trainer is Daphne Stover, she also owns the place.

I'll definitely contact Ashlee Trotter, and let her know you recommended her. Des Plaines is a little far, but we're hoping to get a house in the suburbs out their, in a year or 2. Chicago is great, but I really hate the city. We were just downtown for the dying of river for St. Patrick's day. It's nice to have everything right there, but when I want to go to a park and work Odin and there's dozens of people, it gets a bit frustrating. I'd love to get out to one of the larger dog parks in Dupage County, but for non-residents, it's a bit expensive ($20 a trip) just to try out.

On the bright side, when it comes to need distractions for training, we have our fair share. :)
Stephanie
'Odin' NV PTA Odin of Another Kingdom RL1
'Elli' Drawing Our Own Constellations RL1 CGC CGCA
Post Reply