Our Little Hike Today

Have a photo you want to share?
Post Reply
Sugars Mom
Working Dog
Posts: 1734
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:16 am
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.

Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!

I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences.
Location: Victoria BC

Our Little Hike Today

Post by Sugars Mom »

We went for a little hike around one of the local lakes here, and I snapped a few pics. Thought I'd share...

Here is where we started, at the beach area off the parking lot. This is me looking at the dogs who are brave enough to swim
Image

Always something good to sniff. I'll take sniffing over swimming any day!
Image

Image

Whats that? I hear someone coming!
Image

About a third of the way around the lake
Image

Come on, hurry up! There's more good stuff up ahead
Image

Image

Really?? Didn't you take enough pics of me with rocks last month??
Image

Image

These trees in the background that the bark is peeling off are called Arbutus trees and are native to this area
Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

I think we are almost done...
Image

Yup, almost back to where we started
Image

I need a drink!
Image
Sue (and Sugar)

Image
User avatar
Schlussdibusti
Working Dog
Posts: 1040
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:25 pm
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a DS

Re: Our Little Hike Today

Post by Schlussdibusti »

How beautiful! We are JEALOUS!
Eva & Marco BH
Jupiter, Florida
Lauren
Training Dog
Posts: 540
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:29 pm
Tell us about yourself: I am a wife, mother of 2 kids, 3 cats, 1 Standard Poodle (10 yrs) and Xena, a Dutch Shepherd Puppy.

Re: Our Little Hike Today

Post by Lauren »

Wow! what a beautiful hike! Sugar looks like she loves it! :love:
Lauren from Western NC
User avatar
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 5692
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:05 pm
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2
Location: Ct, USA

Re: Our Little Hike Today

Post by Dutchringgirl »

She is so cute!! She dosnt swim?? We will have to set up a play date with Sugar and Sadie and throw them in.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
User avatar
alspyce
Working Dog
Posts: 1222
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:51 pm
Tell us about yourself: I am in New York State. Got my first DS about 14 years ago (more or less as a rescue- lost her in Nov.). After years of GSD's, and a few dogs of other breeds (Rotti/Beauceron/Ger. Shorthaired Pointer/ Yorkie and my current Jack Russell) I now have another DS, 4mo female, no name yet, tho I have a few in mind.
Also have a horse-old quarter horse mare-32.
Can't wait for all the snow to get gone! Spring is coming too slow this year!
Location: Corinth, New York

Re: Our Little Hike Today

Post by alspyce »

Beautiful!
"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France
Chris Carlton/Lyric
Sugars Mom
Working Dog
Posts: 1734
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:16 am
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.

Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!

I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences.
Location: Victoria BC

Re: Our Little Hike Today

Post by Sugars Mom »

Dutchringgirl wrote:She is so cute!! She dosnt swim?? We will have to set up a play date with Sugar and Sadie and throw them in.
Not a swimmer yet...we saw someone with a young lab who was trying to get his dog to swim by throwing dog treats out in the water for him to get...didn't work for him, but I thought I'd try that with Sugar. Some nice duck treats out in the water may do the trick!
Sue (and Sugar)

Image
CaroleBoaz
Training Dog
Posts: 592
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:52 am
Tell us about yourself: I am currently the Secretary and Treasurer of the Dutch Shepherd Club of North America. We are the national breed club for Dutch Shepherds, and have the support of the Nederlandse Herdershonden Club in our endeavours to record the Dutch Shepherd breed in the United States and Canada through the American Kennel Club. dscna.com Join us on Facebook.
Contact:

Re: Our Little Hike Today

Post by CaroleBoaz »

I'm jealous, too. Well, Boaz is jealous. It looks like a perfect dog day!
User avatar
Marjolein
Working Dog
Posts: 2078
Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:17 pm
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)
Location: Warbeyen, Germany
Contact:

Re: Our Little Hike Today

Post by Marjolein »

WOW! Very nice up there!
We got both Ivil and Dingo to swim by getting in it ourselves and call them, maybe have a ball with you. Worked fine, they both LOVE swimming now :)
Image
User avatar
felixone123
Working Dog
Posts: 1076
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:08 pm
Tell us about yourself: Rescued our first DS male on Dec 27, 2011. Approx 4 yrs. Rescued from NADSR. His name is Odin. Adopted a 2nd DS from NADSR June 27, 2012. Kai - 6 months.
Location: Fishkill, NY

Re: Our Little Hike Today

Post by felixone123 »

Sugar is so cute!! She knows the water is just a little too cold, other than getting her feet wet.
Barbara, Odin & Kai
Sugars Mom
Working Dog
Posts: 1734
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:16 am
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.

Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!

I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences.
Location: Victoria BC

Re: Our Little Hike Today

Post by Sugars Mom »

Ya, my little prima-dona won't go in the cold water...but neither will I, so can't blame her.
Sue (and Sugar)

Image
User avatar
lisaanne
Puppy
Posts: 60
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:37 pm
Tell us about yourself: 40 something mom of 3 sons, 2 living....mother of one beagle girl, Puddles age 9 and our yet to be determined "shepherd" type girl Beta, age 2. Beta was rescued from an area no-kill shelter and was assumed to be a GSD/Greyhound mix, perhaps? I sure cannot find anything greyhound about the girl, sought out Brindle Shepherds and came across the DS, and began to wonder.....she is the absolute best dog anyone could want.
Location: kenosha

Re: Our Little Hike Today

Post by lisaanne »

beautiful pics! Our Beta loves to swim, she just followed her little Beagle sister right in the river. She also loves to chase and bite the big waves of Lake Michigan, even in winter.
Lisa from Kenosha Wisconsin.....
half-way between Chicago and Milwaukee on the heart of Lake Michigan

Mom to Puddles (9 y/o f beagle) and Beta (2 y/o f DS or other shepherd mix?)
Kgazlay
Puppy
Posts: 33
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:01 pm
Tell us about yourself: I am a women of a certain age who adopted my dog Ozzy two years ago. He is a beautiful short haired black and gold brindle. Unfortunately in the first year of his life he had four owners and a short stint in the pound because the people who took him had no idea what the breed is about. He has become a loving companion who loves his walks and particularly going to the off leash park and running with the other dogs. He is truly my best friend.

Re: Our Little Hike Today

Post by Kgazlay »

What a beautiful area! Looks like you both had a good time
Kathy and Ozzy "Prince of Darkness" Gazlay
Kansas City, MO

"Animals are such agreeable friends - They ask no questions, they pass no criticisms" - George Elliott
User avatar
Marjolein
Working Dog
Posts: 2078
Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:17 pm
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)
Location: Warbeyen, Germany
Contact:

Re: Our Little Hike Today

Post by Marjolein »

Sugars Mom wrote:Ya, my little prima-dona won't go in the cold water...but neither will I, so can't blame her.
AHA! Now there's the problem :lol: Get in there you sissy!! :mrgreen:
Image
Sugars Mom
Working Dog
Posts: 1734
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:16 am
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.

Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!

I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences.
Location: Victoria BC

Re: Our Little Hike Today

Post by Sugars Mom »

I'll send the husband in...

I'm a big :binkybaby: when it comes to cold water
Sue (and Sugar)

Image
User avatar
Diesel
Green Dog
Posts: 160
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:11 pm
Tell us about yourself: Hello, my name is Ashlee. I have a Dutch Shepherd who will be 5 this summer. We live in Northwest Territories Canada. Diesel is a typical Dutch Shepherd, very high intelligence and extremely high energy.
Location: Yellowknife, Northwest Territories

Re: Our Little Hike Today

Post by Diesel »

Beautiful pictures Sue! I have been to BC once (Nanaimo/Mission) and I just loved the scenery, you are lucky that you get to see that every day!
Diesel is a major water dog but Halo wont go in past he belly. She's part lab (we think) so she should be in love with water but the husky side must be stronger!
My mom's old dog wouldn't swim either...she ended up getting a floaty thing for the him which was hillarious!
Ashlee, Diesel and Halo
User avatar
Marjolein
Working Dog
Posts: 2078
Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:17 pm
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)
Location: Warbeyen, Germany
Contact:

Re: Our Little Hike Today

Post by Marjolein »

Sugars Mom wrote:I'll send the husband in...

I'm a big :binkybaby: when it comes to cold water
good idea!
I send Johan in for both dogs too, in he went in his boxers :lol: And he doesn't even like dogs, he says :roll: :mrgreen:
Image
Post Reply