Happy to have found this board. We rescued/adopted a 2 year old female from a local shelter last summer and have wondered about her true breed. The shelter believed she was German Shepherd/Greyhound but no verification has been done and I just cannot see the mix anyways. After doing search after search we came across the DS and sure do wonder. She is a short hair Gold Brindle with a white patch on her chest, about 75 pounds, black muzzle, upright ears (one is a bit folded at the tip-just "floppy"). I've never seen another breed which so closely resembles Beta physically, and her behavioral characteristics are certainly there as well. I'll upload a pic to the forum as soon as possible to get everyone's opinion.....I'll tell you, just about everyone has had an opinion about this dog, lol But, never has Dutch Shepherd been uttered, but, I've heard GSD, Cathoula, Malinois, Presa Canario, PitBull, African Wild Dog, Hyena, Wolf Hybrid, and Dingo, lol She is NONE of those I'll tell you that! The GSD, I do see, but only vaguely and I see the difference when she plays with other GSD's at the park, not only her short, Brindle coat. Anyways, thanks for the forum.
Lisa from Kenosha
Hi from Wisconsin!
- lisaanne
- Puppy
- Posts: 60
- Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:37 pm
- Tell us about yourself: 40 something mom of 3 sons, 2 living....mother of one beagle girl, Puddles age 9 and our yet to be determined "shepherd" type girl Beta, age 2. Beta was rescued from an area no-kill shelter and was assumed to be a GSD/Greyhound mix, perhaps? I sure cannot find anything greyhound about the girl, sought out Brindle Shepherds and came across the DS, and began to wonder.....she is the absolute best dog anyone could want.
- Location: kenosha
Hi from Wisconsin!
Lisa from Kenosha Wisconsin.....
half-way between Chicago and Milwaukee on the heart of Lake Michigan
Mom to Puddles (9 y/o f beagle) and Beta (2 y/o f DS or other shepherd mix?)
half-way between Chicago and Milwaukee on the heart of Lake Michigan
Mom to Puddles (9 y/o f beagle) and Beta (2 y/o f DS or other shepherd mix?)
- alspyce
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1222
- Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:51 pm
- Tell us about yourself: I am in New York State. Got my first DS about 14 years ago (more or less as a rescue- lost her in Nov.). After years of GSD's, and a few dogs of other breeds (Rotti/Beauceron/Ger. Shorthaired Pointer/ Yorkie and my current Jack Russell) I now have another DS, 4mo female, no name yet, tho I have a few in mind.
Also have a horse-old quarter horse mare-32.
Can't wait for all the snow to get gone! Spring is coming too slow this year! - Location: Corinth, New York
Re: Hi from Wisconsin!
Welcome!
"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France
Chris Carlton/Lyric
Chris Carlton/Lyric
- felixone123
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1076
- Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:08 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Rescued our first DS male on Dec 27, 2011. Approx 4 yrs. Rescued from NADSR. His name is Odin. Adopted a 2nd DS from NADSR June 27, 2012. Kai - 6 months.
- Location: Fishkill, NY
-
Sugars Mom
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1734
- Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:16 am
- Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.
Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!
I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences. - Location: Victoria BC
- vneerland
- Global Moderator

- Posts: 1547
- Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:10 pm
- Tell us about yourself: *
- Location: Tex@s
Re: Hi from Wisconsin!
Welcome Lisa! Thank you for adopting a dog from the shelter. Looking forward to your pictures of Beta.
Judith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds 
- lisaanne
- Puppy
- Posts: 60
- Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:37 pm
- Tell us about yourself: 40 something mom of 3 sons, 2 living....mother of one beagle girl, Puddles age 9 and our yet to be determined "shepherd" type girl Beta, age 2. Beta was rescued from an area no-kill shelter and was assumed to be a GSD/Greyhound mix, perhaps? I sure cannot find anything greyhound about the girl, sought out Brindle Shepherds and came across the DS, and began to wonder.....she is the absolute best dog anyone could want.
- Location: kenosha
Re: Hi from Wisconsin!
Here's a few from this morning. let me know what you think.....she is a big girl.












Lisa from Kenosha Wisconsin.....
half-way between Chicago and Milwaukee on the heart of Lake Michigan
Mom to Puddles (9 y/o f beagle) and Beta (2 y/o f DS or other shepherd mix?)
half-way between Chicago and Milwaukee on the heart of Lake Michigan
Mom to Puddles (9 y/o f beagle) and Beta (2 y/o f DS or other shepherd mix?)
- lisaanne
- Puppy
- Posts: 60
- Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:37 pm
- Tell us about yourself: 40 something mom of 3 sons, 2 living....mother of one beagle girl, Puddles age 9 and our yet to be determined "shepherd" type girl Beta, age 2. Beta was rescued from an area no-kill shelter and was assumed to be a GSD/Greyhound mix, perhaps? I sure cannot find anything greyhound about the girl, sought out Brindle Shepherds and came across the DS, and began to wonder.....she is the absolute best dog anyone could want.
- Location: kenosha
Re: Hi from Wisconsin!
A few more, lol I think she is beautiful, no matter what breed she is.....










Lisa from Kenosha Wisconsin.....
half-way between Chicago and Milwaukee on the heart of Lake Michigan
Mom to Puddles (9 y/o f beagle) and Beta (2 y/o f DS or other shepherd mix?)
half-way between Chicago and Milwaukee on the heart of Lake Michigan
Mom to Puddles (9 y/o f beagle) and Beta (2 y/o f DS or other shepherd mix?)
-
Lauren
- Training Dog
- Posts: 540
- Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:29 pm
- Tell us about yourself: I am a wife, mother of 2 kids, 3 cats, 1 Standard Poodle (10 yrs) and Xena, a Dutch Shepherd Puppy.
Re: Hi from Wisconsin!
She is beautiful! I definitely see lots of Dutch in there but I am no authority on it. Hopefully some others can chime in nd give their
worth!
Lauren from Western NC
- Marjolein
- Working Dog
- Posts: 2078
- Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:17 pm
- Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)
- Location: Warbeyen, Germany
- Contact:


Facebook page.