Hello From Kansas

For our new members to introduce themselves
Post Reply
rduty0092
Just Whelped
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:53 pm
Tell us about yourself: Do agility and looking for a new partner. After a lot of research a Dutchie seems to be a perfect fit.

Hello From Kansas

Post by rduty0092 »

HI I am Rachael from Kansas City Kansas. Looking for my next agility dog have done a lot of research and think a Dutchie will fit perfect thought this would be a great place to start to learn more and possibly find my new champion.
Rachael - Kansas City, Ks
User avatar
LyonsFamily
Training Dog
Posts: 947
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:08 am
Tell us about yourself: Odin 5 years
Elli 5 years
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: Hello From Kansas

Post by LyonsFamily »

Welcome Rachel! That's how I ended up with my Dutch Shepherd. I was looking for an agility star and boy is he proving himself. We've been training for a couple months now. I've also come to find out that they're way more versatile than my previous dogs, and we'll probably end up competing in a bunch of different sports.

What specifically would you like to learn more about? What breeds have you had experience with in the past? I went from English Setters to my DS Odin, so it is quite a bit of adjusting. For one, he's A LOT faster than me, so we are working on more send outs and distance work. Another thing, he gets mouthy if frustrated or really excited. For us, it meant less treats during agility training and more balls and tugs.

Dutch Shepherds are also more intelligent than many dogs. If Odin "learns" of a short cut, than that is his standard right away. It's a constant game of sharp observations and quick corrections. He is constantly keeping me on my toes and testing me as a trainer.

I adopted him at 21 months, so I don't have any experience with puppies of the breed, but there are a few on here that do.
Stephanie
'Odin' NV PTA Odin of Another Kingdom RL1
'Elli' Drawing Our Own Constellations RL1 CGC CGCA
User avatar
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 5692
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:05 pm
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2
Location: Ct, USA

Re: Hello From Kansas

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Welcome!! I did agility with Thalie for a while, boy is she fast! There was no way I could keep up with her. Alot of handlers learn to handle from the center of the ring and send out, I worked alot on that. That may be where you want to work towards.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
User avatar
Christie M
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 1279
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:03 pm
Tell us about yourself: Love my striped beasts.

Re: Hello From Kansas

Post by Christie M »

Welcome to the forum, and congrats on a great decision. I trained my 2 older DS for agility, but only competed sparsely. I am sure Heather Sather from MN will pop on here at some point, but in the meantime, check out her YouTube channel! She competes heavily with her Dutch Shepherds....in agility and everything else!
Christie Meyer
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com

Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
rduty0092
Just Whelped
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:53 pm
Tell us about yourself: Do agility and looking for a new partner. After a lot of research a Dutchie seems to be a perfect fit.

Re: Hello From Kansas

Post by rduty0092 »

Well I used to have a GSD and I also had a chihuahua who was a shinning star at agility belive it or not lol. My next step is finding a good breeder I am trying to find a female puppy.
Rachael - Kansas City, Ks
User avatar
Christie M
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 1279
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:03 pm
Tell us about yourself: Love my striped beasts.

Re: Hello From Kansas

Post by Christie M »

I am sure there are many good breeders, but I can only recommend a few. Asheley Winters/McCleary is Utah is one of the best. She bred 2 of Heather's competition Dutch Shepherds and one of mine. She also bred the sire to one of my litters - producing some awesome dogs for a variety of sports. Ash's webssite is http://www.dutchshepherds.us and her facebook is https://www.facebook.com/groups/241789192547570/.

Good luck in your search.
Below is a picture of Brink - a pup from my Willow/Aaron (Ash's A-litter) litter.
Attachments
brinktire.jpg
brinktire.jpg (23.44 KiB) Viewed 6988 times
Christie Meyer
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com

Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
User avatar
k9katet
Training Dog
Posts: 443
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:04 pm
Tell us about yourself: We current own 1 Dutch Shepherd - ThunderHawk's Child of Lilith "Mazikeen"
And we have loved and lost 3 - Vrijheid's Amie "Vada", Vrijheid's Hafwen "Letty" and Sather's High On Life "Narcotic".
We train/compete in mondioring and agility.
Location: Minnesota
Contact:

Re: Hello From Kansas

Post by k9katet »

Hi Rachael - welcome to the board!

My oldest DS, Vada, is my main agility dog. I also trial my BorderJack, Seven, quite a bit too. Although he's due for a break til we fix his trial anxiety issue with weave poles. Not bad timing since my young DS, Letty, is starting to trial. Occasionally I'll trial Prozac, a mix, and Narc, a DS. Both don't get as much training time as I would like.

I did post some pics and videos in the Agility section of the board. I've got some videos on YouTube also - http://www.youtube.com/k9katet

Both of my DS girls came from Asheley. She is a great breeder! Let her know exactly what you are looking for and she can tell you if she's got a match or not.

I don't know what to tell you about. As you've discovered any breed of dog can do it. They all have their challenges and strengths.

Let me know if you have any specific questions.
Heather Sather & Mazikeen
http://www.k9katet.com
User avatar
wahinelf
Green Dog
Posts: 246
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:18 am
Tell us about yourself: I recently moved from CA to MA (10/12), Ellie (my 4 year old DS mix) and I are adjusting together!
Location: Boston, MA
Contact:

Re: Hello From Kansas

Post by wahinelf »

Welcome!
-Aubrey

Image

Eleanor CGC FM TF-II, my 5YO DSX
User avatar
Schlussdibusti
Working Dog
Posts: 1040
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:25 pm
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a DS

Re: Hello From Kansas

Post by Schlussdibusti »

welcome!
Eva & Marco BH
Jupiter, Florida
User avatar
alspyce
Working Dog
Posts: 1222
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:51 pm
Tell us about yourself: I am in New York State. Got my first DS about 14 years ago (more or less as a rescue- lost her in Nov.). After years of GSD's, and a few dogs of other breeds (Rotti/Beauceron/Ger. Shorthaired Pointer/ Yorkie and my current Jack Russell) I now have another DS, 4mo female, no name yet, tho I have a few in mind.
Also have a horse-old quarter horse mare-32.
Can't wait for all the snow to get gone! Spring is coming too slow this year!
Location: Corinth, New York

Re: Hello From Kansas

Post by alspyce »

Welcome. :wave:
"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France
Chris Carlton/Lyric
GSDNanny
Training Dog
Posts: 615
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:13 pm
Tell us about yourself: Dogs are my life, what can I say. GSDs primarily for nearly 50 years til bringing in my first DutchShep about 4 years ago. GSD rescue for 9 yrs, nearly 200 thru my home, rehabbed, adopted out. Been involved in AKC ob, herding, tracking, agility; Schutzhund-DVG; scent detection (HR-water)&narcotics, some patrol work. Mostly herding training at present on my little farm.

Re: Hello From Kansas

Post by GSDNanny »

Welcome!! I see that Heather has made contact so you are definitely in good hands now. :wtg: You lucked out because she is one of the most knowledgeable concerning DS doing agility. :ds: I follow her on FB and her posts and videos are awesome. :hail: I am sure she would take you under her wing and teach you the ropes. :cheer: With a Dutchie you best get your running shoes on!!!!!

Denise Gatlin & Zip, Shooter & the K9 crew

Livin' in the deep south - Louisiana
User avatar
k9katet
Training Dog
Posts: 443
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:04 pm
Tell us about yourself: We current own 1 Dutch Shepherd - ThunderHawk's Child of Lilith "Mazikeen"
And we have loved and lost 3 - Vrijheid's Amie "Vada", Vrijheid's Hafwen "Letty" and Sather's High On Life "Narcotic".
We train/compete in mondioring and agility.
Location: Minnesota
Contact:

Re: Hello From Kansas

Post by k9katet »

Awww, thanks Denise!

You definitely need running shoes! And good timing and to be able to think fast. One of the things I struggle with Vada with is dropped bars. When my handling is perfect then we don't have dropped bars. She gives me very little margin for error. I'm often fighting with her on control things like start line, table, contacts, etc. Part of that is me not maintaining criteria in the ring but it's hard to stay calm and not let her push me when we're doing something so thrilling like agility. Letty is different. We're still working on becoming a team and she's gaining confidence as I throw tons of new environments and equipment and surfaces at her. She's slower than Vada now as she's trying to be correct but when she's confident - holy cow she is fast. Hopefully I am a better handler and trainer now and Letty will give me a bit of leeway. Time will tell.

They are big and powerful though. Probably to running your GSD. I see people do things with Border Collies where they get in their way. With a DS that is asking to be plowed over and killed. BCs just get out of the way. Vada got hurt at a seminar once and I finished out the day running a BC. It was quite a difference. They are so light and flexible. I think I would be more successful if I had a Border Collie but I don't care for them (my husband has 3 that I have to live with). I love my Dutchies.

It is interesting to see Letty in agility where she is trying to hard to be correct vs Schutzhund where the instinct kicks in and she has no questions.
Heather Sather & Mazikeen
http://www.k9katet.com
Kgazlay
Puppy
Posts: 33
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:01 pm
Tell us about yourself: I am a women of a certain age who adopted my dog Ozzy two years ago. He is a beautiful short haired black and gold brindle. Unfortunately in the first year of his life he had four owners and a short stint in the pound because the people who took him had no idea what the breed is about. He has become a loving companion who loves his walks and particularly going to the off leash park and running with the other dogs. He is truly my best friend.

Re: Hello From Kansas

Post by Kgazlay »

Hello! I am in south KC and have a DS named Ozzy I have been thinking about doing some agility training with him, but have not found anywhere nearby that sounds promising. Let me know if you find a good place
Kathy and Ozzy "Prince of Darkness" Gazlay
Kansas City, MO

"Animals are such agreeable friends - They ask no questions, they pass no criticisms" - George Elliott
rduty0092
Just Whelped
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:53 pm
Tell us about yourself: Do agility and looking for a new partner. After a lot of research a Dutchie seems to be a perfect fit.

Re: Hello From Kansas

Post by rduty0092 »

Now all I need to do is find one I am looking for a female puppy up to 1 year old if anyone knows of any I would be interested.
Rachael - Kansas City, Ks
User avatar
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 1547
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:10 pm
Tell us about yourself: *
Location: Tex@s

Re: Hello From Kansas

Post by vneerland »

Welcome to the list Rachael.
ImageJudith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds Image
User avatar
Jan
Training Dog
Posts: 405
Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:58 pm
Tell us about yourself: I like Dutch Shepherddogs, especially the roughcoat. At the moment we have three dogs, two DS (one female who is 10 years and one male who is six months) and one male Laekenois at the age of three. We live in the north of The Netherlands.
Location: Zoutkamp, NL

Re: Hello From Kansas

Post by Jan »

Welcome.
Image
User avatar
Marjolein
Working Dog
Posts: 2078
Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:17 pm
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)
Location: Warbeyen, Germany
Contact:

Re: Hello From Kansas

Post by Marjolein »

Welcome :)
Image
Post Reply