I am new to the forum. I have a Dutch Shepherd pup named Gage. He is my second Dutchie. He will be 5 months old on May 3, and we have started to train in french ring sport. He has a lot of promise, and is doing very well. I am a dog trainer and groomer, and have a small business out of my home, where I am a single mom of 2 wonderful little girls. We have 8 dogs total in the house and some reptiles, fish, and 1 cat. Gage is my only Dutch Shepherd in the group. My 1st Dutchie was a great boy, and I learned a lot from him, and he is the reason I switched from German Shepherds to Dutch Shepherds. Sadly when I seperated from my now ex-husband, he walked out leaving my kids and I with nothing. And it was either feed my kids or the dogs, and so I returned my GSDs to the breeders and my Dutchie Kimbo went back to the guy I bought him from. I know they are all in good homes, but I still miss them everyday. But a year and a half later I am getting back on my feet and finally able to afford to have another Dutch Shepherd. And I wouldn't trade him for anything. Here is a picture of Gage at 4 months old.
Thanks for reading:)
Geneva
Geneva
Dogs
Rubik - lab/hound mix
Jesse - Terrier mix
Dusty - Pit Mix
Suki - Terrier mix
April - Collie mix
Patches - Papillon
Scooter - Chi/Shih tzu mix - she is my parents dog but lives with me
Gage - Dutch Shepherd
Tell us about yourself: I am currently the Secretary and Treasurer of the Dutch Shepherd Club of North America. We are the national breed club for Dutch Shepherds, and have the support of the Nederlandse Herdershonden Club in our endeavours to record the Dutch Shepherd breed in the United States and Canada through the American Kennel Club. dscna.com Join us on Facebook.
Tell us about yourself: Rescued our first DS male on Dec 27, 2011. Approx 4 yrs. Rescued from NADSR. His name is Odin. Adopted a 2nd DS from NADSR June 27, 2012. Kai - 6 months.
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.
Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!
I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences.
Tell us about yourself: I am in New York State. Got my first DS about 14 years ago (more or less as a rescue- lost her in Nov.). After years of GSD's, and a few dogs of other breeds (Rotti/Beauceron/Ger. Shorthaired Pointer/ Yorkie and my current Jack Russell) I now have another DS, 4mo female, no name yet, tho I have a few in mind. Also have a horse-old quarter horse mare-32. Can't wait for all the snow to get gone! Spring is coming too slow this year!
Tell us about yourself: We current own 1 Dutch Shepherd - ThunderHawk's Child of Lilith "Mazikeen" And we have loved and lost 3 - Vrijheid's Amie "Vada", Vrijheid's Hafwen "Letty" and Sather's High On Life "Narcotic". We train/compete in mondioring and agility.
Thanks:) He is a fun boy. He is from a guy down in Houston TX. I don't know if the guy is truely a breeder or if he just threw 2 of his dogs together. He put on a good front, but I started to wonder after I got the pup home and he was having some behavior issues, which have been worked on and are a lot better. He was also younger than the guy told me which was another reason I questioned it. But the Gage is turning out nicely regardless. He is supposidly a grandson of Rudie Pegge on his mothers side and a grandson of Arko Kikkert on his fathers side. But when I met him to get the puppy I was expecting a pedigree atleast, but the guy had no paper work on the pup. Another reason why I question the fact that the guy is a true breeder. So I just say supposidly since there is no proof, lol. I know I shouldn't have gone thru with the deal, but now I am glad I did. Gage is just excelling in the protection work and obedience. And he has over come most of his issues too. Still working on a couple minor ones, but those should fine. So regardless of his pedigree he is turning out to be a nice dog.
Geneva
Dogs
Rubik - lab/hound mix
Jesse - Terrier mix
Dusty - Pit Mix
Suki - Terrier mix
April - Collie mix
Patches - Papillon
Scooter - Chi/Shih tzu mix - she is my parents dog but lives with me
Gage - Dutch Shepherd
Tell us about yourself: I am currently the Secretary and Treasurer of the Dutch Shepherd Club of North America. We are the national breed club for Dutch Shepherds, and have the support of the Nederlandse Herdershonden Club in our endeavours to record the Dutch Shepherd breed in the United States and Canada through the American Kennel Club. dscna.com Join us on Facebook.
I hate it when people (breeders?) lie about their puppies. It just makes them look bad, and they will get a bad reputation in the end. Just be honest and people will appreciate it. Most people fall in love with puppies and would buy them regardless.
When I went to pick up my puppy in Europe, the breeder told me she had to be honest, and the pup had a small heart murmur. I read that this can be common in very young puppies. When the vet checked out my puppy a couple of days later, there was no heart murmer, and there still isn't. But I appreciate being told so I could have it checked out.
I agree 100%. I will alwasy perfer honesty. But I am happy I got my boy when I did. The guy who sold him to me still has and is trying to sell 2 pups from the same little. They could sit, down, stay and heel at 3 1/2 months old, but they were on choke chains and are very nervous and timid the entire time. He posted a couple of videos on youtube of him working them. It made me happy I got my boy before he started to work him. My boy can do the same obedience as the other pups, but he is a happy puppy who is having fun while working, and I like that. I understand that one day I will need to move my pup up from a flat or martingale collar to something stronger, but while he is still a youngester I prefer to leave him on the martingale or flat collar since he is doing well on them:)
Geneva
Dogs
Rubik - lab/hound mix
Jesse - Terrier mix
Dusty - Pit Mix
Suki - Terrier mix
April - Collie mix
Patches - Papillon
Scooter - Chi/Shih tzu mix - she is my parents dog but lives with me
Gage - Dutch Shepherd
Tell us about yourself: I am currently the Secretary and Treasurer of the Dutch Shepherd Club of North America. We are the national breed club for Dutch Shepherds, and have the support of the Nederlandse Herdershonden Club in our endeavours to record the Dutch Shepherd breed in the United States and Canada through the American Kennel Club. dscna.com Join us on Facebook.
I like using a flat or martingale. The martingale comes in handy, I've had my Laekenois slip his flat collar accidently when he saw a squirrel across the street and outmanuvered me. Good thing no cars were coming. As strong as my dogs are, I haven't had to resort to the prong collars, and they have been gathering dust for 5 years in the garage. It probably helps that I don't use a leash when doing basic training with dogs.